Rewards for 8th graders

Discussion in 'Middle School / Junior High' started by kimberd, Aug 3, 2008.

1. kimberd

kimberd Rookie

Aug 3, 2008

Hi all. I'm new here, so I apologize if this is a repeat.

I'm new to teaching, teaching 8th grade math, and I am hoping for ideas on what to use for positive incentives for my students. I don't want something too kiddie (stickers, etc.), but I also don't want something big (read: expensive).

I asked my nephew's daughter, who's an 8th grader this year, and she said "oh, don't give them anything. they'll just think you're soft and take advantage of you". Then she said she had a nice teacher like that last year, and after they did what the teacher wanted them to do, she let them do something they wanted to do. My niece seemed to think she took advantage of her teacher, but I'm thinking the teacher got the last laugh. :lol:

3. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Aug 3, 2008

My students like stickers! They also like cheap stuff from Oriental Trading . . . stress balls, bouncy balls, etc.

4. michelleann27

michelleann27 Cohort

Aug 3, 2008

Where I teach at my 8th grade students would take advantage of you if you were soft. But, mine like the oriental trading stuff also and tattoo and pencils etc..

5. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 3, 2008

The grade 8 kids I've worked with would do just about anuthing for a sour gummy worm!

6. kimberd

kimberd Rookie

Aug 3, 2008

Great ideas! Thanks so much. I love Oriental Trading, and my husband just said "go for it", so I'm gonna.

7. kimberd

kimberd Rookie

Aug 3, 2008

I did get a bunch of wild pencils, some with cool designs, some from High School Musical from Dollar Tree today. Glad to hear those will probably work.

I was thinking of just having a bucket of them for the kids to choose from. Someone suggested when they have a great day with homework, etc., give them a lottery type ticket, and at the end of the week they can trade for something from the bucket. What do you guys do?

8. PowerTeacher

PowerTeacher Comrade

Aug 3, 2008

Earning one minute of free time a day, banking it until Friday is big. The most popular tangible reward is a "sit with a friend pass" for lunch.

It costs you nothing. It allows a kid who has one, never more than five or so at a time is really popular for middle schoolers who usually have to sit with the same class all the time.

Check out the Power Teaching element called the Scoreboard "Game".

It is an engagement tool that the students think is a game.

Power Teaching
    in general is a great classroom management approach that has made my kids enjoy learning, made me more effective and dramatically lowered my stress level.

9. NUMB3RSFAN

NUMB3RSFAN Rookie

Aug 3, 2008

When I student taught eighth grade math, my students would do anything for a dum-dum sucker, or a tootsie roll.

10. kimberd

kimberd Rookie

Aug 3, 2008

Thanks, guys. Keep 'em coming! :2up:

11. kyblue07

kyblue07 Companion

Aug 3, 2008

Stuff from Oriental Trading Company is always a hit with 8th graders. Never underestimate the power of a gross eye-ball eraser!!

12. teachin4ever

teachin4ever Cohort

Aug 3, 2008

How about letting them sit next to a friend for the day? Or, a no homework pass/late homework pass?

13. ~~Pam~~

~~Pam~~ Companion

Aug 4, 2008

Mine love all of the above plus: Jolly Ranchers, earned free time, mechanical pencils, pencil top erasers, selected lunch seating versus assigned table seating, pens with colored ink, small stampers, etc.

14. goodapple

goodapple Rookie

Aug 4, 2008

I have to agree with the PP who suggested a "sit by your friend" pass as a reward. My "tough" (ha) 8th graders would almost always pick that pass over a pencil, a notepad, and sometimes even candy!

This is a great thread and it's making me want to spend some $$ on Oriental Trading! Hmmm, maybe my husband won't mind that charge on the cc bill? :haha:

15. Lareigna

Lareigna Companion

Aug 4, 2008

I just placed a $66 order with Oriental trading for student rewards.

16. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Aug 5, 2008

Don't discount the kiddie stuff. My 8th graders would roll their eyes at first, but after a couple of weeks, I forgot to put stickers on the quizzes that got A's and boy did I get an earfull. If you really want to get them going splurge on the scratch and sniff ones.

Other favorites are: pens with odd colored inks, mechanical pencils, homework passes, sit with a friend passes (I can't do that for lunch, so I let them do this on Fridays in class) and small candies of any sort.

One thing I'll be doing this year with my older students (I got the idea from a friend at another school) is the student with the best overall performance (conduct, hw, cw, quizzes, journal) gets to be the "teacher" for the day for the test review. I was shocked when my friend told me how hard some students will work to get that job. We'll see how it goes.

17. carlea

carlea Comrade

Aug 5, 2008

My 8th graders loved stickers and candy. Their special treat was to sit by a friend (this was rare though). They also loved to be the teacher's helper - write on the board, push the button for powerpoints, pull the projector screen down, etc.

18. kimberd

kimberd Rookie

Aug 6, 2008

Thanks so much, guys. I just spend about $50 at Oriental Trading, and another $20 at Dollar Tree. I'll be looking for those scratch and sniff stickers, too. What a great idea to put them on the A quizzes.

19. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Aug 6, 2008

Kim...they'll roll their eyes at you at first, but they secretly love them...just so you know.

20. esfgirl

esfgirl Rookie

Aug 7, 2008

I am new to teaching 6th grade this year and what I am doing (and I hope it isn't too elementary) is giving them the chance to earn science and math dollars (I teach both). Everyda they will
    get a participarion grade of 0-3. at the end of the week I will count up the 2's and 3's they got and give them $1 for each 2 and $2 for each 3. The better they are the more they earn. They are responsible to their money. I will have designated "shopping days" when they can turn their money in for prizes. My tentative list is below. They can spend or save and the better they are, the more money they can earn. I also average all thier participation grades at the end of the semester (0 = 25%, 1 = 50%, 2 = 75%, and 3 = 100%) and it counts as a test grade So if students behave not only can they earn prizes, but they can also get an easy good grade put toward their final average.

Shopping list:
    $5 – a small piece of candy or a sticker
    $8 – two small pieces of candy, or 2 stickers, or one of each
    $10 – a temporary tattoo
    $15 – 5 bonus points on any assignment (you must specify)
    $30 – 10 bonus points on any assignment (you must specify)
    $35 – A new pencil or pen
    $40 – A new pencil with eraser or highlighter
    $50 – A late homework pass
    $75 – A free homework pass or a bag of M&M's
    $100 – Gift pack: A free homework pass, a new pen and pencil, a tattoo, and a small piece of candy

Do this make sense? Its a new idea. Does it sound stupid??

21. hescollin

hescollin Fanatic

Aug 7, 2008

Start with plain stickers and after Christmas do the scratch and sniff stickers.

22. Lareigna

Lareigna Companion

Aug 7, 2008

esfgirl - I am doing some what of the same thing this year as well. The only difference is that I am going to have the kids start with $10 a week. Last year I found it hard and time consuming to hand out tickets each day and sometimes I forgot because it gets so busy. I think it will be easier for me to take the tickets away as a negative incident happens. I am also going to have them keep track of their earnings and debits in a check book. Good real life practice. That way they can also keep track of how they are loosing tickets, and what they are using them for.
    Instead of the late hw pass, I did a 1/2 hw pass, 5 or 10 min of free time on Friday (Friday is our review day), mystery box (there will be a prize in there,I will not tell them what it is but I will give them clues) then I will do a drawing and I will also do an estimation jar. I have more, but it's to much to write.

23. JMUteacher

JMUteacher Rookie

Aug 21, 2008

Sometimes the best things are free

I was in the same boat last year, I wanted to give them something but since I was still in college my budget was highly limited. I found that giving them some free rewards, letting them go to lunch a whole 3 minutes before the rest of the class went down (they got more time at lunch with such a long line). Homework passes are big, letting them listen to the radio during group work or individual work if they let me get through a tough topic. A big one was letting them sit at my desk if they did all their homework for two weeks! Of course I cleaned it up (what a task!) but they got to sit in a comfortable chair and spread out for 45 minutes. I'll definitely use this one again.

24. villageteacher

villageteacher Rookie

Aug 21, 2008

I do a thing called Fun Friday. That works in conjuction with Duran Dollars (my last name is Duran). So, every month, at the beginning, I put the words FUN FRIDAY on the board for every class. Everytime I have to redirect the class and they don't listen, a letter comes off. If, at the end of the month, they have at least one letter, the class gets to have a Fun Friday (game day, craft day, outside, etc.) I also open the Duran Dollar Store during Fun Friday and the kids get to redeem their duran dollars for things like erasers, free homework passes, bathroom passes, reading area time, candy bars (small ones they get at the end of the day), etc. They get Duran Dollars for random things. For example, I might surprise them one day and give one out to everyone who turns in an assignment on time, for being kind to someone, etc. They kids have responded really well for the past couple of years. I even had some new 8th graders that said, "You're Ms. Duran, right? My brother/sister had you and said you have Fun Fridays and give out Duran Dollars." It works! email me and I'll give you more information. missjenniferduranatyahoodotcom

25. kdw1913

kdw1913 Companion

Aug 22, 2008

I do "Bring your own Junk Food" It doesn't cost me anything and the kids like having the priviledge of being to eat/drink in class. We call it "Junk Food Friday!"