Rewards and Punishment for middle school

Discussion in 'Secondary Education Archives' started by mrs.oz, Sep 30, 2006.

1. mrs.oz

mrs.oz Companion

Sep 30, 2006

OK I am kind of thinking ahead right now. I am currently a preschool teacher and am asking for a transfer to the middle school. What kinds of rewards and punishments do you use at this age level?
    (6th, 7th, 8th) I thought I would have the students work toward a game day. Does this sound to corny for kids this age? Please let me know things that you all do to reward your students besides homework passes. I want to make sure that I get the students under control the first time I step in and I don't want to go in acting macho and superior. I want to gain some respect but do it in a friendly and loving way.

3. ms_chandler

ms_chandler Comrade

Sep 30, 2006

1st offense: verbal warning - name on board
    2nd offense: detention and note/call home - check next to name
    3rd offense: disciplinary referral "write up"

I take the names off the board each quarter. I teach 95 min. classes, so I give candy out every Friday. In order to get candy, they have to do all of their homework, not have any offenses, not be late to class, and not be suspended by any teacher for that week. They love the candy idea!

I also bake cupcakes for all students who haven't had any offenses for the entire quarter. This is usually about 20 students out of 75.

I also do a Shining Star of the Week where I pick one kid out of my 3 block classes and devote an entire bulletin board to them. They also get a certificate hung up in the hallway. At the end of the quarter, I take pictures of them and hang them up for the next quarter to show off.

4. mrs.oz

mrs.oz Companion

Sep 30, 2006

Thanks for the ideas.

5. Corrie

Corrie Rookie

Oct 1, 2006

I have a class auction once a term. The kids earn stars for good behavior, (I try to give out between 10-15 stars each day for anything from listening the first time to putting extra effort into their journals.) and place the stars on a chart with their name on it. At the end of the term the stars are used in our auction to bid on items from the treasure box. Everyone comes away with at least one prize, and the students who've earned more stars throughout the term are rewarded with MANY prizes. It's a big day that we all look forward to, and it really motivates my students. It also prevents me from having to scramble for rewards- and my principal is happy to reimburse me for my dollar store treasure hunt. This has worked wonderfully for me for the last 4 years, in grades 2, 4, and 6-8. Finally, this process allows me to focus on the positive behavior, and helps me to "catch" the kids being good. Best of luck!

6. mrs.oz

mrs.oz Companion

Oct 1, 2006

Keep the ideas coming.

7. holliday

holliday Comrade

Oct 2, 2006

I mentioned this on another post a while back, but it's a good idea so I'll share it again. I hand out front-of-the-lunch-line passes to students as prizes and they LOVE them because so many kids line up to buy lunch that it can take 15 minutes of standing in line to get food. You DO have to check with your lunch staff and/or administrators to get permission...but I've had good luck.

Another favorite reward is to work outside. When the weather is nice, I sometimes "bribe" my students into working harder by offering to move the class outdoors for reading time or to work on skits, etc. They love the change of scenery and it's free!!