Rewarding with tickets

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Kimi478, Jul 21, 2008.

1. Kimi478

Kimi478 Rookie

Jul 21, 2008

I am trying to design a reward system based on giving out tickets and then earning some types of rewards! Has anyone ever done this, if so can you give me some ideas on how many tickets you gave out and why you gave them out. Also, what type of rewards were they able to get with their tickets.

Thanks, this is my first year teaching the 5th grade and I'm just trying to develop some sort of management plan.

3. Lareigna

Lareigna Companion

Jul 21, 2008

I am also using the ticket reward system this year. I polled my kids at the end of last year to see what they would want to receive. I will also poll the kids at the beginning of this year.

They told me: candy, pencils, pezz dispensers (I know, I would have never guesed), key chains, no hw pass (I'm not sure about this one. If I give hw it is important for all to do the hw.) I'm thinking instead of a late hw pass. So they can hand in their hw late with no penalities.

The last is on Fridays I want to have it as a review day using games for those who behaved. The first 20min will be for review, anything they still need help with from the past week from a exit evaluation they will complete at the end of each class and the last 20 min will be for review games. I will charge them tickets to play the games, those who dont have tickets will have to complete a review ws on the past weeks topics.

They will start with 10 tix a week and can loose them for bad behavior, no hw, not working in class... (They will also keep a check book to keep track of their tickets how they lost them, how they used them and when they were gained.)
    Rewards
    Candy - 1 tix
    pencils - 2
    late hw pass - 20
    game day - 8
    5 min free time on Friday - 5

Hope this helps!!:D

4. katenar

katenar Cohort

Jul 21, 2008

I used to do a system where if kids didn't get a warning slip, they would get a daily ticket to enter into one of the weekly drawings for the week. Their options would be things like Treasure Box, Pencil Box, Lunch with the teacher and Free Homework pass. Each week I would draw two tickets from each. Some kids would win more than once per week because they would never get a warning slip and would spread their tickets into each of the prizes.

I also did a smiley face chart, where I laminated a big chart and had each kids name on it. Everyday they could earn a smiley face and trade in the faces for prizes. Here was my list:

2 Smiley Faces = Sticker
    5 Smiley Faces = Piece of Candy/Treat
    10 Smiley Faces = Pencil Box
    15 Smiley Faces = Free Homework Pass
    20 Smiley Faces = 15 Minutes of Free Time on Computer

5. smannes

smannes Companion

Jul 21, 2008

I did the ticket thing last year and it was A LOT to keep up with. I haven't decided if I want to do it again this coming year or not.

6. peggy27

peggy27 Cohort

Jul 21, 2008

I did tickets last year. I would give them out for kids following the rules, reading when they were suppose, etc. We collected them in a jar and on Fridays I would draw 5 or so out. I have a big grab bag they chose out of. It has pencils, pens, rulers, jolly ranchers, stuff from the Dollar Store. It was pretty easy to do!

7. queenie

queenie Groupie

Jul 21, 2008

I taught fifth grade last year and used tickets. I started off the year giving students three tickets on Monday and letting them trade them in Friday. They could earn tickets for different things (really good behavior, daily helper, returning things on time, getting hw in on time, etc.). I soon changed this plan, however, because some kids lost all three tickets and then had nothing left!

So I made three magnetic faces and put them on a metal cabinet. Then I put magnetic tape on the back of colored craft sticks and wrote the kids' names on them. Each morning I'd place all the sticks around the smiley face. If a student broke a rule, they moved their stick to the straight face. If the same student broke another rule, they moved their stick to the sad face. At lunch time, students who were still on the smiley face got one ticket. Students who were on the straight face didn't get a ticket. Students who were on the frowny face lost recess. Then, after lunch, I moved all the sticks back to the happy face and the process was repeated. So students had an opportunity to earn two tickets a day. We traded in tickets on Friday, to begin with. Eventually, I began assigning ticket trade in days (Five students per day) so that it wasn't so confusing and didn't take up so much time!

I had a little thing on wheels with three drawers and marked the drawers 1 ticket, 2 tickets, and 3 tickets. I was not allowed to use candy or food items, so I used erasers, pencils, holiday toys, restaurant toys, sticky note pads, bubbles, playdoh, etc. Once in a while (like at EAster) I did something special...The whole month of March this year I put some surprise eggs in there. Some of them had change. One had a WINNER tag and the student who chose it won $5. I put No Homework tickets in the drawers every so often (not VERY!).

I just used a big roll of tickets I bought at the Dollar Tree.

I will change a few things this year (assuming I get a job!) because I'd like to offer students a chance to be rewarded for good behavior-- I'll add a star face and students who go above and beyond by doing something really special (at my discretion) will move their sticks UP to the star face and either get an extra ticket or get to choose a prize that day...not sure yet.

At first I was afraid the smiley face thing was too babyish for fifth grade, but it definitely wasn't!

8. gab

gab Comrade

Jul 21, 2008

I used tickets last year as well. Students were able to earn them for following rules, first with manners, on task behaviors, returning homework or just their folder, for winning games, kind acts, etc. The students kept one part and the other went into a small container. I'd randomly decided to do a drawing, mostly toward the end of the week. Students who had matching tickets(I called out the last 3 or 4 digits to practice reading numbers/place value) would get to select i items from a tub of fun mini erasers and glow in the dark insects/creatures. At the end of the month, I'd do one last drawing and then toss remaining tickets. Students loved it and I found it to be rather simple as far as upkeep.

9. LinzerCastle

LinzerCastle Rookie

Jul 21, 2008

I used tickets for the last 3 years with my fourth graders. They can earn tickets for getting agendas signed, being polite, helping others, answering questions, ect.

If students had to borrow a pencil or any other supply from another students they had to give that student a ticket as "payment".

Once students earned 50 tickets they could turn those tickets in for various coupons. These are the coupons they could choose from:
    - Free Homework Pass (only good for certain subjects)
    - Free Test Question
    - Lunch Bunch (students could choose 2 friends to eat
    lunch with them in the classroom - I did
    lunch bunches every Wednesday)
    - Any Seat for a Day
    - Game Time with a Friend

I thought the system might get old towards the end of the year, but students were still really excited about earning thier coupons! I think I'm going to add a couple of new coupons this year!

10. kelbel7583

kelbel7583 Rookie

Jul 21, 2008

I've used tickets as part of my behavior plan for the past several years. Students can earn tickets for a variety of behaviors: from following the rules, making good grades on assignments, and for being respectful and courteous towards others. Sometimes, when student attention is lacking, I pull out my jar of tickets and reward students for answering my questions about the lesson. I also surprise students occasionally by passing out tickets to all those who have completed their HW assignment. I promise that the next day, the whole class has suddenly done their HW.

I hold a 15- 20 minute "Ticket Auction" about every 2-3 weeks. I hold the auction right before dismissal. The items up for bid are mostly special passes (Sit with a Friend, Snack pass, etc.) or dollar store treats,with a few higher dollar items too. I set the starting bid and those who have enough tickets can continue to out bid each other until the item is sold. Students have the option to either spend or save their tickets. I tell them, it is their responsibility to keep up with them. Some even choose to save them all for my end of the year auction -For it, I save several special items.

The system has worked great and it teaches kids about the concept of saving up for an item and responsibility. ( I never replace lost tickets.)

11. Calalilys

Calalilys Comrade

Jul 21, 2008

I will be using tickets again with my students. In the past I've done it where I held an auction at the end of each month and where I would do a drawing every Friday. This year my students are going to earn tickets for prizes. I will be doing them in increments of 10, 20, 30, 40, and 50. I haven't quite figured out specifically what they will earn for each one, but I do know the 10 tickets will equal a pencil and 50 tickets will equal a no homework coupon. It will be the students choices as to when they use their tickets and they will earn them for a multitude of things, such as following directions, participating in group discussions, etc.

12. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 21, 2008

I used tickets last year and will not be doing that again. As the year went on, it fizzled out (with both me and the kids).
    Here is how I set it up:
    Ways to earn:
    Caught being good: 1-2 tickets
    Good for a sub: 2 tickets
    Agenda signed: 1 ticket
    Homework in on time: 1 ticket
    Clean desk on random inspection: 2 tickets

Ways to lose:
    Warning: 1 ticket
    2nd offense: 5 tickets
    3rd offense: 10 tickets
    4th offense: referral and 25 tickets

They could turn tickets is for:
    25 tickets: Pencil or eraser
    50 tickets: candy
    100 tickets: No homework pass (not allowed to use on math hw)- this was the most popular
    200 tickets: Choose a book from the book order

13. Calalilys

Calalilys Comrade

Jul 21, 2008

I really like the option to choose a book from the book order. I may have to use that with my class!

14. Momto2

Momto2 Rookie

Jul 22, 2008

Great Ideas

These ideas are all so great....I also use a ticket system but was looking for ways to fine tune it! Thanks for all your ideas!:lol:

15. ancientcivteach

ancientcivteach Habitué

Jul 22, 2008

I'm looking to use tickets again this year, and I think I'll do a hybrid version of tickets and Ms. Powell's token system.

I'll give out tickets as I see fit (getting started at once on the warm-up, caught being good, etc.) because I teach older kids and the randomness seems to appeal to them and kept them from the whole, "can I have a ticket" thing.

Students will have a choice - drop it in the drawing jar or save the ticket. I've seen some great ideas for whole class rewards that kids can "save" for, I'm also considering letting them "buy" some inexpensive school supplies (pencils, paper), but I'm still pondering this.

The drawing jar I'll use anytime I need a student to do something - pass out books, pick up papers, run an errand, a la Ms. Powell (I just LOVED that idea). On Friday (or random days) I'll draw five names from each class for coupons.

16. teacher_cc

teacher_cc Rookie

Jul 22, 2008

This is what my mentor teacher did last year and is what I plan on doing. I think it's pretty easy to keep up with. The students liked it.

17. MsWK

MsWK Habitué

Jul 22, 2008

I can't give you advice on how to set up a token economy. I'm not trying to be a downer, but I urge you to read this article and carefully consider the purpose of your reward system. If you're still not convinced, I can point you to other resources.

http://www.alfiekohn.org/parenting/gj.htm