Reward Systems for HS?

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by TxMaThTeAcHeR, Sep 1, 2010.

1. TxMaThTeAcHeR

TxMaThTeAcHeR Rookie

Sep 1, 2010

I am sure this question has been asked before, but I am looking for an EASY way to implement a reward system and was wondering if anyone has any tried and true things they use that really motivate the high school kids?? Thanks!

3. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Sep 1, 2010

When my son was in grade 9, his English teacher handed out "C...Bucks". He gave them out for good behaviour, exceptional answers during class discussions, good citizenship. He stapled them to the front of tests and assignments when students performed well. Once every month, students could spend their 'bucks" for dollar store toys, candy or class privileges (the favourite of Alex's class was saving enough bucks to buy a jumbo bag of lollipops and share them with everyone). It was quick and easy--he just handed out the "bucks", but didn't keep track of who received them--and the kids responded to it really well.

4. Sshintaku

Sshintaku Comrade

Sep 1, 2010

Candy.

If you're looking for something long term - pizza. :)

I've found that all high school kids can be motivated and rewarded with food. Although if that's not allowed at your school, than you'll have to be more creative.

5. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Sep 1, 2010

I don't use a reward system, and I don't think I know anyone who does.

Do people really use them with kids out of elementary school?

6. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Sep 1, 2010

I don't use one and neither do any of the other teachers in my department. Can't speak for the entire school though, though I've never heard of anyone doing it. I see no need for a reward system at this age level. Then again I didn't do it when I student taught Kinder or taught 6th grade so I guess I'm not much of a reward teacher at any age.

7. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Sep 1, 2010

I don't know any teacher who uses a reward system in the HS or middle schools.

8. Sshintaku

Sshintaku Comrade

Sep 1, 2010

Oh, are we talking an actual "system?" I think that high school age kids would be kind of insulted if you tried to implement an actual system, but I'll do random rewards for review games and things like that.

9. dovian

dovian Comrade

Sep 1, 2010

For the 9th graders one of my colleagues implemented a ticket system. You get like 3 tickets at the beginning of the marking period and you can either swap them for missed homework or save them for EC at the end of the marking period. Don't know if that constitutes a "reward" though.

10. Ross

Ross Comrade

Sep 1, 2010

A high school in my area just implemented a reward system this year. Hearing from several students that attend the school, they tell me it is considered something that belongs at the middle school grades.

Although they do like the homework pass they can earn to get out of a homework assignment.

11. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Sep 1, 2010

I don't know anyone who has a set reward system, but I do know lots of teachers who reward (occasionally) with candy.

12. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Sep 1, 2010

What is the purpose of the reward system? Is it worth it?

13. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Sep 1, 2010

I can see giving homework passes, snacks, and free passes as rewards, but nothing like a system in place. Can you clarify exactly what you had in mind?

14. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Sep 1, 2010

I think most high schoolers should be beyond needing some sort of formal system; however, I can see occasional rewards. There are some environments; however, that I can see an extrinsic reward system being appropriate.

I worked in a very rough neighborhood. While they behaved well for me, these same students were absolute terrors for some of the other teachers (with some of the stereotypical inner city school behaviors and issues). Granted, I taught middle schoolers, but I did have one class of 9th graders. My "system", if you could call it that, was a little atypical.

You see, I'm prone to stupid mistakes. Between my brain being 100 miles ahead of my mouth, and severe dyslexia, I could usually count on making at least a handful of errors when writing on the board, though it wasn't out of the question for me to make a "mistake" on purpose. I had a jar in my classroom for each class. If a student caught me in a mistake, I put a marble in that class's jar. When a jar had 100 marbles in it, we had a pizza day.

This served two purposes. First, it kept them paying attention. They couldn't catch me in a mistake if they weren't listening and watching. Second, it got them thinking. If they could catch a mistake, then they really were learning.

15. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Sep 2, 2010

The rewards that I mentioned earlier that were given by my son's teacher were just that, more random and not tied to a specific "system".

16. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Sep 2, 2010

The only reward I give is a sticker on any test grade in the 90's.

17. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Sep 2, 2010

Alice, don't you love that in high school they still love stickers on a good test? Dh does it too and once when he didn't have his stickers and handed back the tests, the A students all asked where their stickers were.