Reward System

Discussion in 'Fourth Grade' started by AZMrs.S, Mar 16, 2011.

1. AZMrs.S

AZMrs.S Cohort

Mar 16, 2011

Hello All!

I was wondering what kind of reward systems you use in your fourth grade classrooms. I have seen things like points and they can buy things from a treasure chest or an auction in younger grades. Would that kind of thing work for the fourth grade kiddos? Or would it be too "childish"? What works for you in your classroom?

3. Ttime

Ttime Rookie

Mar 24, 2011

I do a number of different things to motivate students to be their best. One is every day I give a "Gold Nugget" award - works well for California history. Essentially it is a daily citizenship award. I have a small 2x3 laminated piece of paper with criteria written on it and I write their name and date on it, with a hole punch so they can put it on a key ring. At the end of the week I pick one of the five names and that student can pick from a chest of prizes. I also give Super Scholar awards - one for a boy and one for a girl. A similar piece of paper is used. The Super Scholars each get a small adorable stuffed puppy to keep on their desk for the day. The kids really love these. I do row points and the winners get to choose a polished rock. I try to stay away from candy. This is what I use for special times when I want to the student to be especially well behaved. They each get a small white piece of paper. When the class has behaved well in important situations, I tell them to add a letter. They are writing "I am able to ..." means "I am able to - be a good listener, well behaved, respectful, etc. When it is finished they turn it in with their name on it, the date they started and the date they ended. I give them a homework pass in return. This is the only way they get homework passess. I use for Chapel time, if I get two compliments in one day from another teacher or parent, when we are getting observed, etc. Have fun and make it your own!

4. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Mar 25, 2011

It definitely would work with fourth graders! The only big change I make, is I type up a list of rewards and the students can save their points or money or whatever until they have what they want to buy a reward.

I also limit the times or days that they can buy a reward!

5. dannyboy

dannyboy Companion

Mar 27, 2011

I like the idea of real money, in small amounts. When other kids see someone get real spending money it home that hard work has its rewards. I usually give money out at totally random times so kids can't work the system.

6. teach2020

teach2020 Rookie

Mar 31, 2011

rewards

We have tickets that they can use to purchase for toys or privileges such as lunch with a friend in the classroom or in the cafeteria with one or two friends. They can also buy homework passes or computer time.

7. teacherCA

teacherCA Rookie

Apr 1, 2011

Whole class: Marble Jar--earn handful of marbles for great behavior at firedrills, working in class, etc, or receiving a compliment from another staff memeber-- then vote on treat (me baking something for them, popcorn during DEAR time, free play, etc). I also use a PAT time chart (Fred Jones). Preferred Activity Time.
    The kids start out with 10 minutes on their side of the chart. When on task they can earn minutes on their side. If I have to stop teaching because of talking or if some are off task, I will walk up to the PAT chart and give myself a minute. Usually after a few days after introducing the PAT time concept, I just walk over and tap the board with an expo marker--the kids shush each other and get back on task-- pretty quickly. At the end of the week, I subtract the difference and the remaining time is theirs for what ever activity they choose.

Groups: Group points (sit on bean bags under our POET TREE, working out in the garden, etc). Tallied up on Fridays and they earn the reward for the following week plus earn 5 class dollars each.

Individual: Card system: stay on green earns one class dollar. Class store is at the end of the month where they can go shopping for various things like school supplies, fun stuff, lunch with teacher, etc.

Jobs: Each week, jobs are rotated and at the end of the week, they get paid 5 class dollars. Since I have a 4/5 combo, I tailored the jobs to US History: President, Vice President, Secretary, Librarian, Treasurer, Representative (each group has a rep).

8. teacherCA

teacherCA Rookie

Apr 1, 2011

I also give out a H.O.M.E. pass (Have One More Evening). They get these once per trimester and can use it one one assignment only.

9. AZMrs.S

AZMrs.S Cohort

Apr 1, 2011

Wow! These are all great ideas! My brain is really thinking of ways that a point system can work in the upper grades! Thank you for the great suggestions :) I like the PAT time concept where the teacher gets the minutes if students are off task! That is a unique twist to the PAT concept!

10. Ellensmom

Ellensmom Companion

Jun 7, 2011

I had 5th grade this year, but I am moving to 4th. I started using "The World's easiest token system http://thecornerstoneforteachers.com/free-resources/behavior-management/token-system
    It worked really, really well, and it didn't take much time.
    Basically, each student has a number and a supply of chips with their number. (I have extra poker chips if you want them!) At various times, they can receive a chip for good behavior, consistent work, asking a really good question, or even sometimes for FINALLY getting that good grade (not just the A) They always knew that if they stacked their chairs each evening they got a chip, but other than that, I did it randomly. If a few were on task, they got rewarded. If the ENTIRE class was commended, I would put in a blue chip (the others were red). At the end of the week, I draw 5 or 6 chips and they get to roll for their prize. I made up a variety of prizes-most didn't cost me anything :) Good luck!

11. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Jun 9, 2011

We have a ticket system, it's become pretty elaborate and takes a decent amount of work on my part, but its worth it b/c they are still motivated by it, even now in the last few weeks of school.

i give out tickets when i see them doing the right thing, if they're the first one to take a book out when i ask, or if they're standing in line quietly, sometimes i give them out for hw, i give them for being on line when its time to come in from the playground, etc. they put their name on them and put them in the ticket jar. at the end of the day i pick a few winners from the jar. depending on how well they pack up i may pick between 1-4 winners a day. sometimes if we're having a really rough day i dont pick a winner at all. they pick from the "green prize box" the same person can't win twice in 1 week.

at the end of the day i count the tickets. at this point in the year their goal is to get 5 tickets a day. at the end of the week if they have 25 tickets they get a prize. they also have pick from the "green" box. it has really small prizes in it (non food) things that i could buy in a pack of 6-12 for a dollar or two like pencils, erasers, bouncy balls, pencil sharpeners, etc. stuff from oriental trading or a party store.

at the end of the week i also take out the "black" prize box which has bigger prizes in it, things i usually get for like $1 in target or the party store, like notepads, those packs of erasers shaped like food, silly putty, etc. the student who had the most tickets for the week gets to pick a prize from the black box. i also put together all the tickets from the whole week and pick between 1-5 winners (based on the class overall behavior)

i chart how many tickets each individual gets for the week, how many they have for the year, and how many the class has. we had a pizza party at lunch when they each got 100 tickets, we did extra computer time for 200 tickets, ice cream for 300 tickets, etc. If the whole class gets a certain number we'll watch a movie (of a book we've read) or schedule extra gym time, or ill bring in juice boxes (they LOVE that on hot days after lunch)

its really worked

ive also implemented a reward system for when they treat each other nicely. we call them "good attitude awards." the students were treating each other horribly when i first got the class. if one student accidently bumped into another there would be a fight, no one ever said please or thank you, no one was willing to share, etc, etc. So now they get a lil certificate when they share something, return someone's lost property, talk to each other nicely, etc. If they collect 2 they get a homework pass or they can save them and if they collect 4 they get extra computer time. (they love that) I also display the certificates in the classroom so they can see what other students have been doing nicely

12. TXowl

TXowl Companion

Jun 29, 2011

I use a bingo system to reward my kids. I bought a bingo chart and a hotel style bell. When I see a students doing something good I ring the bell and call out names. The students then write their number on the bingo chart. When I ring the bell everyone tends to get on task. I also tell students that they have earned a spot when outside the class or if I'm away from the bell. Every Friday I draw 2 winning spots on the bingo. Those students win a prize of their choice from the prize box (dollar store items and other things I get for free). The winners also get to ring the bell. For some of my students getting to ring the bell was their favorite part.

I also started bucket fillers after Christmas. We started having lots of drama and attitude issues so we started this to encourage them to be nice and give compliments. I covered a tissue box in construction paper and made little slips of paper. Each student was allowed to give 1 bucket filler per day maximum. They had to compliment or thank a classmate for doing something. They couldn't give more than 1 bucket filler to a single person each week. I also put some in each week to ensure everyone got one. On Fridays after bingo I read the bucket fillers (omitting the name of the person giving it) and the students got to keep them. This really helped some of my kids to realize their attitudes kept them from getting as many from their classmates. They loved getting to keep the compliments. Most of my kids kept them stashed in their pencil boxes until the end of the year and then took them home.