Reward System?

Discussion in 'Fifth Grade' started by LindsayRose, Jul 1, 2010.

1. LindsayRose

LindsayRose Rookie

Jul 1, 2010

HAPPY SUMMER to those teachers on Sept-June schedules

My mind is already working and brainstorming for next year! YIKES! I teach 5th grade and I am going into my 2nd year. My first year I tried a system of adding marbles to a jar if the class had a "good day" that was very broad and I found myself punishing the whole class for one or two students' actions. NO FAIR I know. Then I eventually gave up b/c in all honesty, I had a GREAT class and they were always well behaved and motivated to learn, I don't think I will be that lucky forever!

I have always been interested in a TICKET SYSTEM, where if I see someone doing a good deed, working hard, getting a compliment, etc. I would hand out tickets. On Fridays I would pick a ticket from the jar and award a prize.... Has anyone done this system or seen it in action? Does it work?? Pros and cons??

Any other ideas that you have done that would work well for a 5th grade room.

I really appreciate the insight, so THANK YOU IN ADVANCE !!

3. wrice

wrice Habitué

Jul 2, 2010

Yes, happy summer to you too!

Some teachers enjoy reward systems, but sorry it feels contrived to me- I don't like giving artificial incentives to students for acting as they're supposed to. But that doesn't mean I don't recognize and show appreciation for good deeds.

We do have a model economy for our fifth graders, where students apply for and rotate through different jobs (attendance, flag, materials, even photographer, newspaper columnists and editors, 'doctor' with bandaids and cough drops...) and earn a play money salary. Students can be fined for misbehavior, abusing materials, etc. Each quarter we have a business fair where students create hand-made products (duct tape wallets, friendship bracelets, comic books, art) and sell the items to their peers. Kids have loved the responsibility and the feeling like they're contributing to our community, and by buying and selling to each other they are rewarded for good work but it is much more meaningful to them. The model economy is certainly difficult to set up, but if you can get the help of other teachers (math teacher helps the kids keep track of their balances, history teacher helps explain jobs and how to apply...) it becomes easier.

Otherwise perhaps you can find something somewhat academic that the kids like that can function as a reward- "Work quietly and diligently for 45 minutes and we can watch a BrainPop video for the last 10 minutes..." Games, crossword puzzles, word finds, time on the computer. Even occasionally picking the students at the quietest table to be first in line for lunch gives recognition and appreciation for good behavior without necessarily bribing them for it.

4. Muttling

Muttling Devotee

Jul 2, 2010

I'm with you wrice!!!!!!

I do give rewards to exceptional performance and throw parties for my classes from time to time. I love to cook and word is out about my home made spaghetti sauce. One year, I brought my grill to school and cooked my goat cheese stuffed chicken breasts for a class that did GREAT on their end of course exam (all but 2 of them scored advanced.)

What gets me are the classes that do NOTHING and still expect rewards. Have you oticed how it's typically the worst scoring students who give the least effort that say, "We shouldn't do much today" the most frequently?

I had a class this year who had more than 50% making a D or less. The reason was simple, they wouldn't do their make ups when they missed a day and it was rare for me to have less than 5 absent in that class. It was too much for them to take the initiative and come by my room before school, after school, or during homeroom. I post my grades by student number weekly and had called parents so they ALL new where they stood.

We had school wide ACT testing for juniors take my classroom. I sent all who were caught up to the gym and took the rest to the library for a make up day. They wanted to take a class day to celebrate because their grades took such a jump. I told them that we certainly WOULD have done so if they had been responsible enough to come do it on their own instead of me forcing them to.

Rewards should be earned, many of my students view them as an entitlement.

5. cmw

cmw Groupie

Jul 2, 2010

I used "Neat & Cool" tickets this year with my classes. (I only saw each group once a week.) They were just raffle tickets (from Walmart or party stores) so the were pretty inexpensive. Students earned tickets for doing the right thing, helping each other, completing some written work, answering questions, etc... At the end of class I would pull tickets from their bag once we were lined up. The quicker we lined up, the more tickets I pulled. If their ticket was pulled they chose something from a list of about 40 things (e.g. writing their name on the window, eating lunch, positive phone call home, choosing a game for the class, choosing a song).
    Here's 1 list.
    http://www.canteach.ca/elementary/classman2.html

One teacher in our building did the lotto board which I really like. Students are chosen to put their name on a numbered board. At the end of a set period of time a number is pulled or dice or rolled. Any students on that number are winners.

Another idea I like that doesn't work for the large masses I see is Mrs. Powell's bead system.
    http://thecornerstoneforteachers.com/TR/bead.pdf

:D

6. LindsayRose

LindsayRose Rookie

Jul 3, 2010

I LOVE that lotto board idea!!! HOW COOL! Hopefully I can find a way to implement that....

7. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 3, 2010

I have tried nearly everything without success (I admit- I become inconsistent which is why I am never successful- I forget to do it or simply don't have the time).
    I did a ticket system where they had to give me tickets for misbehaving and they could earn prizes. I always forgot to give out tickets.
    I did a token system and drew 2 tokens at the end of the week for the treasure box. There were no consequences so I didn't like it. Plus, I forgot to put in tokens and draw.
    I did a strike system (misbehaving and/or no home work would earn a strike). 3 strikes = loss of recess. A whole week with no strikes and you were in the running for the treasure box. I never had time for the treasure box and some days I didn't have time to record the strikes so I didn't give new ones.
    So, year 4 will be this year and I am going with the economy. My teammates do it and hopefully I will find this easier since they only open the 'store' 2 or 3 times a year!