Reward System

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by LindsayRose, Jul 1, 2010.

1. LindsayRose

LindsayRose Rookie

Jul 1, 2010

HAPPY SUMMER to those teachers on Sept-June schedules :)

My mind is already working and brainstorming for next year! YIKES! I teach 5th grade and I am going into my 2nd year. My first year I tried a system of adding marbles to a jar if the class had a "good day" that was very broad and I found myself punishing the whole class for one or two students' actions. NO FAIR I know. Then I eventually gave up b/c in all honesty, I had a GREAT class and they were always well behaved and motivated to learn, I don't think I will be that lucky forever! :p

I have always been interested in a TICKET SYSTEM, where if I see someone doing a good deed, working hard, getting a compliment, etc. I would hand out tickets. On Fridays I would pick a ticket from the jar and award a prize.... Has anyone done this system or seen it in action? Does it work?? Pros and cons??

Any other ideas that you have done that would work well for a 5th grade room.

I really appreciate the insight, so THANK YOU IN ADVANCE !! :)

3. jday129

jday129 Comrade

Jul 1, 2010

My fifth grade teacher did it. I loved the idea, but even though I earned lots of tickets I never won. Maybe you could pick 3 names/week?

4. Lynn K.

Lynn K. Habitué

Jul 1, 2010

I use sticker charts. Each kid gets one and they are rewarded with little chart stickers when they are caught doing something great.

I also give out stickers for what I call "Rapid-Fire Review." Each time a student gets a question correct they get another sticker for their chart. This really helps with participation during review times!

In addition, I am adding a Compliment Chart this year. When the class is complimented (by specialty teachers, their Science teacher, etc.), they will add a sticker to the chart (a hundred block chart). The reward for a full chart is an ice cream party.

5. LindsayRose

LindsayRose Rookie

Jul 1, 2010

JDAY... thank! that was my fear... I was trying to figure out a way to change up the ticket system a bit, b/c I don't want the same person winning, or someone never winning, or hearing "she always wins!!"... I love the ticket idea but need some ideas for the outcome... thanks for sharing.

Lynn.. how will you manage to hand out all those stickers all day long?? I like the idea!

6. Ellensmom

Ellensmom Companion

Jul 1, 2010

I have taught 3rd grade the past 3 years and used "the world's easiest token system" the past 2. I'm thinking about using it with my 5th grade class next year. Here is a website: http://www.educationworld.com/a_curr/teacher_feature/teacher_feature074.shtml
    It's basically what you described, except I randomly choose a number between 3-10 (I had 13 in my class last year- this way, some people but not ALL got a prize). It worked great! I labeled poker chips and kept them in a bag. When a student was rewarded I simply had to tell them they got a chip, and they knew what to do. Good luck!

7. TeachinHicks

TeachinHicks Comrade

Jul 1, 2010

I used the ticket system last year, but I do my drawings at the end of the month. I go to the Dollar Tree and buy the big boxes of candy usually 4 or 5 and choose tickets that way. The tickets stayed in the bag for the entire year, unless I chose the ticket for a prize. My kids LOVED it! They always remembered too...Mrs. H, the end of the month is almost here! lol I called them "Caught Being Good" and gave it out for all kinds of good behavior, following directions, etc.
    Hope this helps!

8. LindsayRose

LindsayRose Rookie

Jul 1, 2010

I LOVE Angela Powell, I had forgotten all about her system. I read about it a while back as well as the rest of her web site! She sounds like a really creative lady. Thanks for sharing!

9. meltua

meltua Rookie

Jul 1, 2010

My kids sit at tables and earn points throughout the week and the table with the most on Fri. afternoon gets treasure box. I like it because I award points to children individually and their points go toward the table's total. So even the kids that disrupt and never earn points sometimes get treasure if the rest of their table works hard to earn points that week. And kids often encourage their "tablemates" to behave.
    For the points I use magnetic coins that I display on the board. On Monday I give out pennies and when they run out I give out nickels, dimes, and quarters. And if a table gets five pennies we trade it for a nickel. I teach 1st grade so this doubles as a math lesson.

10. Loomistrout

Loomistrout Devotee

Jul 1, 2010

Ideally a well-conceived management system should ultimately reduce the teacher's workload. Often, many teachers abandon token systems due to exhaustion attempting to make, buy, borrow, record, organize, plan not to mention discipline problems which can spin off of the system - "Hey! Someone stole my Lucky Bucks!" Best wear a flack jacket if busy teaching, not notice Hyper sitting still for 30 seconds and defaulting on your end of contract.

Whatever management system one implements it should stand up to the test of effective discipline practice: Does it self-eliminate? Marble jars, tokens, Lucky Bucks, charts etc. should go away over time. It is of little use to hand out tokens for entering room quietly in Sept and still hand out tokens for same in June. If it's a good program the kids should have learned their lesson early on and the teacher should find her/himself out of the business of managing the system.

11. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

Jul 2, 2010

I did sticker charts that I taped to the students desk. They got a reward when they got to 20 stickers.

12. Lynn K.

Lynn K. Habitué

Jul 2, 2010

I don't; I just leave the stickers out in a specific spot near where I am and just say, "Thanks for ____. Get a sticker!" When we are reviewing, I hang on to the page of stickers and walk around handing them out.

13. ancientcivteach

ancientcivteach Habitué

Jul 2, 2010

I used tickets and really liked it. I have four little bins, one for each of my classes, and when I hand out a ticket, the child writes his or her name on it and plops it in by the end of the class.

Just like any other management system, my use varies to fit what my classroom needs. I find I'm passing out more tickets at the beginning of the year and around holidays than inbetween. I also target specific areas as they need it - group work needs reinforcement, then out come the tickets, etc.

ala Ms. Powell if the number of tickets starts to pile up, I draw from the bins when I need an errand run or to sit in my big beach chairs when we have independent work time

I have a treasure box filled with plastic eggs (thanks, JEM for the idea) and those eggs are filled with coupons for free rewards, some fruit snacks, and some little prizes like pencils and erasers)

I draw five names from each bin on Friday and they choose an egg. Any tickets that are left go into the monthly drawing for a gift bag of art supplies that I buy when they are inexpensive over the summer. I do the monthly drawing at the team meeting where I present the Social Studies student of the month.

I am thinking about adding a whole class system for compliments, 100% attendance (that was a real issue last year for me), 100% homework, etc.

14. 100%Canadian

100%Canadian Companion

Jul 2, 2010

I created something called "auction points" for my classroom and it worked well with grades five and six. I enlarge a class list and post it on a board at the front of the room. As I caught students "doing good things", I'd give them five points. It would be purely random and for just about any situation; I didn't want them getting the impression that every thing they did would always come with a reward.

As the term went on, the points would continue to accumulate for each child (some more than others). At the end of the term, I'd tally each student's total and we'd spend a half hour doing a class auction for items I'd collected over the term: books or activity kits from Scholastic; huge chocolate bars; outdoor sports equipment (hacky sacs, foam Frisbees etc.) and things like that.

The lesson learned in it all - I hope - is that those who had more points tended to be the ones who followed routines, did good deeds and so on. The more points you had, the more leverage you had to buy something.

For me, it was low maintenance because all I had to do was randomly record some points on a sheet of paper, which would remain in the same place all term long. Picking up prizes was easy because I did it over time and the auction itself was a whole lot of fun.

15. LindsayRose

LindsayRose Rookie

Jul 2, 2010

Loom, I agree with you all the way! As I said, last year I didn't need a system b/c the kids knew what was expected and did it! It was enough to lose recess and fear the wrath of me so that was all I needed.

Part of me thinks I may need to implement a system, I read and hear that there should always been SOME SORT of system for positive reinforcement, etc, in place. I want to do something simple, yet effective. Something the kids enjoy, and is not a lot of work. I don't want to have to stop every 5 minutes and put stickers on charts and add links to a chain.

WISHFUL THINKING, right?? ;)

16. ancientcivteach

ancientcivteach Habitué

Jul 2, 2010

Just a thought - I actually implemented tickets to reward those kids who do the right thing, I was feeling like they weren't getting enough kudos. It was/is a bonus to me that it seems to motivate others. :)

I think the randomness is a necessary element to keep from building the expectation of reward, and whatever you use I agree - keep it simple and cost effective in both time and mula. :)

17. Rox

Rox Cohort

Jul 2, 2010

My class gets group rewards as positive reinforcement. For each day that all students behave, they get a letter added onto the word/phrase on the wall (for example, this week the word is "recess") and when the word is completed, they'll get an extra recess at the end of the day. Because of this, my students are less likely to tattle or cause trouble. This is easier for me because I only need to worry about it once per day and they don't try to do something special just to get a reward.