Reward Options

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by soleil00, Aug 6, 2011.

1. soleil00

soleil00 Comrade

Aug 6, 2011

I want to have one of those reward systems that some use, like the marbles, fill the jar, etc. My question is, what kind of rewards do you have/can you suggest that I can use?

Here's the things I CANNOT do due to my school's policy:
    No movies, ever.
    No changing scheduled times (like no extended recess)

Parties are... something I will have to clear with the principal but I know that no junk food will be allowed (pizza and cookies are as junk food as we can get)

Any other ideas?

3. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

Aug 6, 2011

popcorn
    eat lunch with the teacher-in the classroom maybe?
    no homework pass
    use pen for the day
    stickers
    free choice puzzles/games

4. soleil00

soleil00 Comrade

Aug 6, 2011

Those are good ideas that I can definitely use other than the lunch one. That's another no-no I forgot to add, the kids aren't allowed to eat lunch outside the cafeteria and there are no adult size tables here lol

5. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

Aug 6, 2011

sit on the floor to do work for an hour or so is another one.

6. juliechsa

juliechsa Rookie

Aug 6, 2011

Would you be able to do free time in the gym? Or free time on the computer?

What about: bring your favorite stuffed animal for the day, extra read aloud time, guest reader for read aloud, wear your slippers to school.

7. TXowl

TXowl Companion

Aug 6, 2011

Pick your partner for an activity
    Read aloud to the class (for our novel I usually read)
    Extra day on homework
    Bring a pillow to class

8. soleil00

soleil00 Comrade

Aug 6, 2011

gym - no because the teachers have scheduled times to use the gym every day and we aren't allowed in until it is our time. :dizzy:

Computer.. yeah that one is feasible. I have 7 computers in my room and I know not all of them will be used for AR tests all the time so that is another one.

I need to start a list! Yall come up with some good ideas.. all I got was the party idea LOL

9. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

Aug 6, 2011

My kids loved "book picnics" where we all went outside and read for a few minutes. My own children, not my students, LIVED for eating with their teacher (you'd only have to brave the child-sized chairs for one day!), as well as for "choose your own seat" day.
    Kim

10. Opal

Opal Companion

Aug 6, 2011

Sit with a friend
    Sit at the teacher's desk for the day
    Homework pass for one assignment
    15 minutes free time on the computer
    Free choice time in centers
    Teacher for the day - they can do the read aloud, daily calendar, etc
    Positive note or phone call home
    Show and tell time

11. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Aug 7, 2011

Using a pen for language arts was very popular when I taught second grade as well as use a special pencil for a day. I had a collection of colored pens, pencils with flowers and trolls on top, and those really big pencils they sell as souvenirs.

I would also do arts and crafts projects that I'd planned on doing with my unit anyway.

12. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Aug 7, 2011

Most of those ideas sound as if they were for 1 child. I'm thinking that for a marble jar, a whole class reward, so here's my idea:

When I taught 3rd grade we did Fun Friday (not all day, just for whatever time was allotted. I did the last 30-45 min. of the day). During Fun Friday, it's board games, extra reading time (either by self, with a partner, a listening center, etc.), an art project, extra center time. When we did it, it was only for those students who EARNED it. So someone took the ones who didn't earn it & did something else with them.

13. HeavenIsLoud

HeavenIsLoud Rookie

Aug 7, 2011

You should pose this question to your kids... they can come up with things we would never think of. Let them no the boundaries and see what they come up with.

14. ShanaNicole

ShanaNicole Rookie

Aug 7, 2011

I'm doing a fishbowl to go with my theme. I drew a fishbowl and I am going to fill it with fish stickers. When my fishbowl is full of fish (I'm going to make it 50 fish to start then when they get there they'll have to get 100) we'll have a party. I'm thinking for the first time they'll get a movie, 2nd time they'll get a popcorn party. I have to check with the principal to make sure this is okay though. If it's not okay I will have a 30 minute indoor recess or outdoor relay races.

15. ZoomZoomZOOM

ZoomZoomZOOM Devotee

Aug 7, 2011

Okay wait a sec - - how are they "filling" the fish bowl? In other words, how often and for what, do they get the stickers? This sounds like an interesting concept...

Regarding other rewards - - depending on the ages of your kids - - possibly girl/boy activities like manicures for the girls (quick dry polish ONLY) and basketball for the boys.

16. smurfette

smurfette Habitué

Aug 7, 2011

Pajama Day?

17. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Aug 7, 2011

Here are things I have done:

- Pajama Day
    - Bring a stuffed animal to sit on your desk day
    - Game Time (bring board games etc. You can even do this for math or reading if you pick the right kinds of games.)
    - Crazy socks day (kids get to take off shoes in classroom, too.)
    - Read-a-thon (kids get to read whatever they want, eat popcorn and bring pillows and blankets from home.)
    - Sit where you want day (consequences for kids who abuse the privilege.)
    - Have reading block outside (do for example, word work with chalk on the pavement, read laying on the grass)
    - Cooking Party (have kids make healthy snacks, like ants on a log and other cute little snacks with fruits and veggies.)

In my class, I am going to write the letters "Something Special" on the board and fill them in. When they are filled in, we will do something special! I will pick. (I used to let them vote, but it got way out of hand.)

18. soleil00

soleil00 Comrade

Aug 7, 2011

I keep meaning to start a list of all these awesome ideas.

Thank yall so much, I never would've thought of stuff so simple like the pajama day!

Some of this, of course, I'll have to check with my P because I don't know how much of the ideas that are allowed here.

19. ShanaNicole

ShanaNicole Rookie

Aug 7, 2011

I'm going to put a list next to the bowls so they always remember but I will give stickers for perfect attendance (all students in class that day), every student turns in their homework, we get a compliment from another teacher, I see everyone following directions the first time given, good lunch behavior, etc. The students will have individual behavior charts as well, but this is just for whole class. This is the first time I'll be doing this so hopefully it works. Also they can get more then one sticker, for instance if Friday nobody was absent the whole week maybe I'll give 3 stickers instead of 1. I already made my fishbowls, I'm sooo excited, haha.

20. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Aug 8, 2011

When my class filled the marble jar, we would usually decide on the reward as a class. I usually went the 'party' route because it is simple and can be saved for the last hour of the day. Some of the rewards they chose:

* movie and popcorn party - I made sure the movie was a version of the read aloud we had been reading

* hot chocolate party - after we had been skating as a class for phys-ed

* board game party - students brought board games from home

* beach party - students brought beach towels and lay on those to work during the day. In the last hour of the day we went outside and played some team work games with a beach ball and I had beach word search puzzles

21. MsDeb

MsDeb Comrade

Aug 8, 2011

Class Rewards

Picnic!
    Our favorite class reward last year was a picnic lunch outside. I brought a bunch of blankets, hula hoops & frisbees. The kids brought their own lunch and I provided lemonade (juice boxes) and homemade cookies. We all had a blast and it didn't require much from me or take time out of instruction!

22. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Aug 8, 2011

Awesome idea! We have a park close by that we could walk to, that way we aren't interrupted by recess after lunch.

23. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Aug 8, 2011

My school is pretty much the same, no movies, and extended recess/gym time is very hard to get.

Are you only looking for full class rewards?
    What about...
    field trip
    lunch w/ teacher
    no homework passes
    books (they could even be used)
    small prizes- erasers, pencils, bouncy balls, etc things you could buy in bulk at a party store or the dollar store
    i did pizza lunches, the kids loved it
    what about ice cream parties, would that be okay?
    bagel breakfast- my kids loved this too and since most of them eat candy/potato chips for breakfast it was a nice alternative

24. queenie

queenie Groupie

Aug 9, 2011

Here are some of mine- I can't remember them all and they're saved on my school computer.

sit wherever you want
    bring a bottle of water to class
    extra bathroom breaks
    no homework
    game day- we use only games all day (no written work) to cover the concepts or review them
    show and tell day

I'll post more when I get to school later this week (if I remember :dizzy:)

25. queenie

queenie Groupie

Aug 9, 2011

Thanks! I love this idea =) I'm definitely gonna add this to my list of rewards this year! I am not allowed to give any kind of food to the students, but I think they'd love having a real picnic :)

26. queenie

queenie Groupie

Aug 9, 2011

I forgot- our school PTO sells popcorn one day a week, so one reward I had was that I'd buy popcorn for them.

I love the idea of using pens for the day. My kids would love it!

27. queenie

queenie Groupie

Aug 9, 2011

We have pj & stuffed animal day. They get to keep their stuffed animals on their desks all day.

28. queenie

queenie Groupie

Aug 9, 2011

I really like the book picnic idea! Also think it'd be nice to have class outside all day, if possible! Don't know if the p would go for it, but I could see!

29. queenie

queenie Groupie

Aug 9, 2011

Or just add the ideas that are feasible to your jar of ideas to pick from. They'll never even know their idea didn't make it into the jar. :rolleyes:

30. queenie

queenie Groupie

Aug 9, 2011

We have a school-wide reward system where we add a link to our classroom "chain of success" and when the chain reaches the floor (it's attached to the top of our whiteboards) the entire class gets a reward. Mine is usually a BIG deal- pj & stuffed animals, bring your own games (including electronic handheld games), show and tell, and extra PAT Time.

I'm considering doing something extra this year, though. On Thursday (the day behavior cards go home) I'm going to choose a reward for all the students who have good behavior reports for the week. I'd like to reward the students who are always well-behaved!!

31. queenie

queenie Groupie

Aug 10, 2011

Ok, I'm at school now, so here's my list of rewards I had saved to my computer:

Playdoh Time
    Prize Box
    Crazy Hat Day
    Make & Play Instruments
    Show and Tell
    Sidewalk Chalk
    Free Popcorn
    Relay Races
    Extra Recess
    Write on Board
    Games Day
    Read to Kindergarten