Reward ideas

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by kinderK27, Jul 24, 2008.

1. kinderK27

kinderK27 Rookie

Jul 24, 2008

Last year I used a prize box for rewards, but as the year went on I felt like my kids got greedy. They wanted a prize for everything. I have moved grade levels, and I want to give prizes that have a different value. I don't want my kids to think that good behavior and participation deserves cheap toys. I would like your ideas for rewards that the kids will love!

3. kinderkate

kinderkate Rookie

Jul 24, 2008

We spell out PERFECT ATTENDANCE each day all of the kids are there. We put a letter up for each day and when they have spelled out the whole phrase, we have a popcorn party! Maybe little things like that? Making certain goals and they can have small parties, watch a video, a "mystery" reader, things besides toys. I understand what you mean with the toys!!

4. LvToyFoxTerrier

LvToyFoxTerrier Rookie

Jul 24, 2008

I use sticker books which consist of a folded piece of laminated construction paper with their names on the cover. They earn stickers to put in their books when they are good for different things. The kids really enjoy decorating their folder with stickers and by the end of the year they have quite a collection to take home and show Mom and Dad.:2up:

5. Sheila

Sheila Comrade

Jul 24, 2008

I do not have a treasure box in my room. I do have many incentives though.
    *I have 10 magnetic owls. I put one up whenever we get a compliement in line. When we reach ten, the students get a popcorn party.
    *The students can also earn table points. They do this by working together as teams to keep their tables and individual supply boxes neat. When a table reaches ten points they get to eat lunch with me on Friday. I really enjoy this because the students have such intresting things to say!
    * I also have green strips and a bucket. Whenever I see a student doing anything that I feel is worthy of a green strip, I give them one. They write their name on the green strip and put it in the bucket. Then, I pull from the bucket and the child's whose name gets pulled gets to stay up from rest and play. This really motivates them to learn to write their name.
    * I also have four colors for my behavior chart: green, yellow, red and purple! Purple is the highest and earns a special note home and a happy dance from the teacher.
    * I also use "Smellies" A smelly is when I rub a little dot of unused lip balm/gloss on the back of their hand. This really gets the motivated. I even had a parent buy many tubes for me that will last many years!

These are just some ideas. I am also able to give extra outside play as a reward as well.

6. Miss_J

Miss_J Habitué

Jul 24, 2008

I use a star bag. I have a gift bag with a star on it and when someone is doing well I give them a die cut star and tell the entire class what the student did to earn the star. They write their name on the star and put it in the bag. When I need a helper, I pull a name from the bag. This works really well, is cheep, and also helps me when I need a student to do something for me.
    I always make sure I explain to the students that I do not give out stars every time they have done well and if you ask for a star, I do not give you one. I have not had too many children ever ask me for a star though. I have had students come up and tell me that someone else in the class deserves a star and then I generally give one out.
    I like this system since it does not reward with prizes that will mean nothing in a few minutes. It really plays off the pride idea more than anything.

7. missk83

missk83 Companion

Jul 25, 2008

I am going to do a gumball machine this year, which is very similar to the Marble Jar. Mine will be a huge laminated drawing of one where the class can velcro a gumball when they recieve a compliment from a teacher, do well as a class on a test, etc. When that is full they can pick from a party like a sundae party or movie party.
    As far as individually earning rewards I am doing something like "Caught Being Good", except I will call it something different. Students will write their name on a ticket, and explain what they did to deserve that ticket. Once a week or so, I will pull from the tickets and they will get to pick a reward option like "Wear Sunglasses in Class", "Eat Lunch with a Teacher", "Switch Seats w/ Someone for a Day"
    Those are all incentives that I think the students will really enjoy (it will be my first year teaching so we'll see!) and they don't cost money. I've already spent so much money being a first year teacher I cant see spending more on a junky toy that they will use for a day and throw away. Plus I totally hear you on the greedy thing. I am hoping the "non-physical" rewards will not have the same effect.

8. fun2tchk

fun2tchk Rookie

Jul 25, 2008

My school uses "gold slips" for students who are "caught" being good. Students can be given a gold slip by any staff member and then they put it into a special box. Every week they pick 2 names from each class and those students are called over the load speaker and get to go pick a prize.
    In my class I have been doing the red,yellow, green system and those who have stayed on green all week have earned a prize. I am changing it this year and adding behavior punch cards. (I got the idea from really good stuff, but I am making my own). And each day they stay on green I will punch the card and it gives me the flexibilty to add punches for other incentives. When their card has 10 punches, they will then earn a treat. This way if they have 1 bad day, it won't ruin their week.

9. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Jul 25, 2008

I just recently read about a really good class reward. Put a game board with a lot of spaces, such as Candyland or Monopoly, on a bulletin board. Use velcro to move the game piece one space each time the class has a good day. When they get to the end, have a pizza party, popcorn & movie, etc.

10. Lindzee82

Lindzee82 Companion

Jul 25, 2008

Great thread!

I used a few different reward systems in my classroom last year, and would like to tweak them a bit this year.

My first system involved stars. The students could earn a star by getting a compliment from another teacher and they could also earn stars when meeting a challenge that I give them - if they walked down the hallway quietly, for example. When the class got 10 stars, we would vote on a reward. Some rewards were a movie, 20 minutes of free time, I ate lunch in the cafeteria with them, or a game.

Another reward system was bears in a jar. I had trouble with my students behaving while in a whole group on the rug. So, whenever I saw the class sitting quietly, I would give some bears. Individual students could also get bears put in the jar on their behalf. When the jar was filled, they earned 10 minutes of free time.

The plan I used last year that I want to change a bit this year worked with my behavior plan. I use the color-coded cards for behavior issues. If a student ended the day on the color green, I colored a square in on a chart. The students who stayed on green all week got to choose something from the prize box. I like this system, but I had some students that never, ever, got to choose something. So, I want to change it up a bit. I like the idea of the punch cards. What I could do is color a square for the kids who land on green, and also color squares for various things. Then, whenever a student earns 10 squares...they can choose something from the prize box (which includes a slip for having lunch with me - the hottest ticket in town last year!). I think that may work better.

Great thread, keep the ideas coming!

11. kinderK27

kinderK27 Rookie

Jul 25, 2008

* I also have four colors for my behavior chart: green, yellow, red and purple! Purple is the highest and earns a special note home and a happy dance from the teacher.

Love the Happy dance, I am totally using this!

12. kinderK27

kinderK27 Rookie

Jul 25, 2008

These are awesome ideas guys I am going to borrow a lot of them for my class!