Reward ideas...

Discussion in 'General Education' started by heavens54, Aug 8, 2013.

1. heavens54

heavens54 Connoisseur

Aug 8, 2013

What rewards do you do in your classroom? What is the reward and for what? I need some fresh ideas...

3. HorseLover

HorseLover Comrade

Aug 8, 2013

Something that my cooperating teacher used when I was student teaching was a ticket/raffle system. When she saw a student (or students) were behaving well she would give them a small slip of paper titled "____ was caught being good" and the students would write their name on it and drop it into a bucket. Every Friday she would draw a set number of names from the bucket and the students whose names were drawn were allowed to choose a prize from the prize box (small toys, special pencils, etc)

4. OneBerry

OneBerry Comrade

Aug 8, 2013

I don't do a lot with rewards, but what I have used in the past is a small (quarter of a sheet of cardstock) certificate I would give the student who earned it with three options on it. They would check what they wanted and turn it back in to me to redeem for either a day of sitting in the fancy chair, a candy bar of their choice, or a homework coupon worth 50% off a homework assignment. All three options were popular.

5. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Aug 8, 2013

-sitting on a bean bag chair during the lessons for a day
    -special seating during reading (pillows, bean bag chairs)
    -using the ipad instead of doing the do now
    -lunch with the teacher
    -book from scholastic (I use my bonus points so it doesn't cost me anything)

6. Sm2teach

Sm2teach Companion

Aug 9, 2013

-Sit with a Friend Passes (for lunchroom)
    -No Shoes Pass
    -No Homework Pass
    -Cute Pencils with eraser

These are bigger rewards. For smaller things like class participation when the kids need a little motivation I will give out skittles. They usually won't earn more than 8 skittles. I don't do this all the time, but it gets the participation up.

7. nyteacher29

nyteacher29 Comrade

Aug 9, 2013

I only buy educational rewards and max spend $3. I go to dollar store, staples, and michaels usually. It ranges from pencils to mini calculators to cool erasers and journal books. I also ask the students what they would like.

I use raffle tickets that I order on amazon and they usually have a special mark, like a smile face, which can't be found at the local store. I give it out for good behavior, when the whole class has done homework or handed in an essay, or if only 10 do homework then those 10 get it, and when the class has been spot on the whole period. Also when I find myself to be in a really good mood :)

Ps. The prizes differ in "price". And students can only look inside the prize box when they have close to five tickets and when it is convenient time. I teach 7th and the rewards seem to work well. My students don't have much so I think they really enjoy earning a little prize

8. heavens54

heavens54 Connoisseur

Aug 10, 2013

Did you create your passes yourself or did you download them from another source? I LOVE the sit with a friend at lunch pass idea...

9. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Aug 10, 2013

high school (kind of a rough crowd)
    - school wide: earn a blue ticket for a number of things, even for something very small, we just hand them out. They can turn them in to get out of detention (bathroom only, not behavior), etc.
    - whole class reward: earn u to 4 minutes / day toward Friday P.A.T. (play games / socialize), 20 minutes.
    - 'mystery student' - secretly pick one (or sometimes 2) students, and if they participated, behaved, etc according to expectations they can choose something from a prize box. Most of the items in there if food, because these students are always hungry, but I have Blue Tickets in there as well. This year I'm thinking about buying a bean bag or just let them use my chair (very soft and comfy) to st during the next class, the chair would not be behind my desk of course. I'll see how they like it, this would mean I'd have to buy less things for the box.
    I'm also going to randomly try an idea I've heard here, that if the student earned the prize, the prize would mean something for the entire class.

Of course you always want to check with your P with rewards, mine is totally ok with all of this, including the food and the non-instructional time on Fridays. I do have a rationale to the P.A.T. that justifies that time frame spent that way.