Revival of Gilmore Girls on Netflix

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Ms. I, Feb 7, 2016.

1. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Feb 7, 2016

3. mathmagic

mathmagic Enthusiast

Feb 7, 2016

My wife is a humongous fan, and watches the original run over and over -she's extremely excited! I'm sure when they inevitably honor the death of Edward Herrmann in one of the episodes, it'll be a sad moment - but thankfully they have a lot of the main cast coming back.

4. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Feb 7, 2016

Can't even express how excited I am about this. Gilmore Girls is my all time favorite show. I am bummed that it seems like Melissa McCarthy won't be on it, but not surprised. I'm really excited about everyone else who is confirmed, though, including Matt Czuchry (Logan), Liza Weil (Paris), and Yanic Truesdale (Michel)! Oh, and Kirk, of course! :)

5. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Feb 7, 2016

Liza Weil (Paris) is on the show How to Get Away w/ Murder, so I guess she's still going to be on that too. For a minute BEFORE I knew they were only showing a miniseries, I thought she was no longer going to be on HTGAWM.

6. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Feb 7, 2016

I am excited also! I just discovered the show last year and binged my way through all the seasons. Still not sure why Sookie isn't involved. She said she wasn't asked. I'm thinking she would probably cost too much at this point.

7. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Feb 7, 2016

That's what I think. Some people think that her "people" were contacted and then turned it down for her without consulting her. I think that's a definite possibility. I'm still hoping they somehow work it out for her to at least have a cameo.

8. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Feb 7, 2016

It's interesting to see who out of a cast ends up being the biggest star yrs later. Would anyone think Leonardo DiCaprio would be the biggest start back when he played a homeless kid on Growing Pains?

yellowdaisies likes this.
  9. allaphoristic

allaphoristic Companion

Feb 8, 2016

I am SUPER excited for the revival. I drive my boyfriend nuts re-watching the series a million times...I'm actually 4 episodes away from the end of season 7 right now (for the third time). If anyone is a Redditor, there's a Gilmore Girls subreddit that has all sorts of good conversation about the revival.

10. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Feb 9, 2016

I can never watch season 7 on my rewatches. I've seen the first 5 seasons and half of the 6th several times, and the second half of season 6 and 7 maybe twice. I just can't make it through the Lorelai/Rory separation and the Luke/Lorelai drama. I try so hard every time. lol.

I'll need to check that out on Reddit. :)

11. mathmagic

mathmagic Enthusiast

Feb 10, 2016

My wife is now on rewatch #million and ends up skipping quite a few of the scenes that she doesn't like :p The only shows I can watch over and over are some of my childhood/young adult comedies (Whose Line, Boy Meets World, etc...), and even that's a stretch sometimes!

12. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Feb 10, 2016

I am ridiculously excited about this! I don't like sports, but I think this is how other people feel about the super bowl :D.

13. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Feb 11, 2016

Same! I cannot wait. So in the last couple of days we've also learned these people will be back:
    -Jess
    -Dean
    -Mrs. Kim
    -April

I'm so thrilled that ALL these people are coming back. Even April, as much as I hated her. I love Vanessa Marano because I watch SAB. The whole thing is going to be amazing.

14. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Apr 16, 2016

15. mathmagic

mathmagic Enthusiast

Jul 27, 2016

Ms. I and yellowdaisies like this.
  16. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Jul 27, 2016

I saw that and I'm THRILLED that it's during vacation! :D

17. mathmagic

mathmagic Enthusiast

Jul 27, 2016

My wife will be working that day (manager, retail...says it all), so it'll be interesting whether she wants to wait until later in the weekend when she's more alive/awake, or if she'll try to watch it that day :p

18. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Jul 27, 2016

I've never even watched one episode of this show. There are so many new shows on Netflix and I can't imagine watching a series all over again.

19. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jul 27, 2016

I can't wait! I've never had Netflix in my life, but I'll sign up (& then cancel again) just to see these new revival Gilmore G TV movies. It seemed there would only be 4 of them from what I read before. Is that still right?

So I know nothing about Netflix. Do I just sign up on my computer in which I know I can watch from my TV or any mobile device?

20. mathmagic

mathmagic Enthusiast

Jul 27, 2016

Ms. I:
    There will be four 90-minute "episodes" (or movies, depending how you look at it), one for each season, in this initial release.

Apparently, at the panel today, the book isn't completely closed in terms of additional episodes, however it still sounds as though the "four words" that the showrunner had always planned on ending the series, are still at the end of the "Fall" episode...so it certainly will be nicely wrapped up from the sounds of it.

For Netflix: you can sign up however, and then it's just basically logging into it from any device. I've watched it on a family member's Smart TV (Netflix app), through our TV playing it on the Xbox (Netflix app within it), and on laptop/phones, again, using the netflix app or through netflix.com

If you've never done it before, you can probably even sign up under a trial when it comes time - no cost that way!

yellowdaisies and Ms. I like this.
  21. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Jul 27, 2016

I can't wait!

22. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Jul 27, 2016

My Thanksgiving vacation is made up.

23. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jul 27, 2016

Thanks a lot for the info. OK, since I don't care for watching TV shows on my computer, I plan to watch on my regular TV, but it's not a Smart TV, just an HDTV. But I do have an XBox 360. So what do I have to buy for it to work &/OR anything extra in addition to sign up for (in addition to Netflix)? I don't know squat about the whole Xbox 360 & watching via that method.

24. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Jul 27, 2016

I used to watch Netflix through my Wii. I've never had an xbox so I'm not sure if it's similar, but on the Wii I just had to download the Netflix channel. I'm sure if you google it there are videos explaining how to do it on the xbox. I'm not sure if this is the fault of the Wii or if my internet is just too slow, but I quit watching through my Wii because it was constantly buffering/pausing and it drove me nuts. I'd definitely try it out with something else before you sit down to watch a really good show and then get disappointed!

Now I have an amazon firestick, which works great, but I think it's around $35 so it would be a waste of money if you are literally only planning to watch that one thing. I got rid of my cable and watch most new shows through hulu on my firestick.

Ms. I likes this.
  25. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jul 27, 2016

Thanks waterfall. Yes, I'll be looking up how all this works for sure.

Minutes later...
    OK, I saw this, but I won't be able to do this particular method:
    https://www.handymanhowto.com/how-to-watch-netflix-instantly-on-your-hdtv-part-1/

I'll try to look up How the whole Xbox 360 works. Oh great, I was afraid of this. Looks like I'll have to buy Xbox Live Gold membership in addition to a Netflix subscription. Guess I'll be watching it on the computer at my desk.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2016
  26. mathmagic

mathmagic Enthusiast

Jul 27, 2016

You shouldn't need a gold membership - we certainly don't! We just have the Xbox 360 hooked up like normal, downloaded Netflix, and then go to that app and sign in. If that doesn't work, let me know and I can have my wife better tell me how it works :p

Ms. I likes this.
  27. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Jul 27, 2016

We have a Smart TV (and an Apple TV, and a Wii), but my husband says you do have to have an XBox Live subscription to watch Netflix, which is idiotic. He says you should only need silver, though, not gold. I can't believe they make you pay for that just to watch a separate streaming service.

I asked my husband (who knows more about this), and he says you can watch it through most Blu Ray players (ours has that capability and it's not new or top of the line by any means.) If you have a laptop with an HDMI or VGA port, you could also hook that up to the TV and watch that way.

28. mathmagic

mathmagic Enthusiast

Jul 27, 2016

Weird - I don't think we're paying at all. I'll definitely check in with the smarter half here in a couple hours when she gets home. She knows the tech better than I do!:toofunny:

29. heatherberm

heatherberm Cohort

Jul 27, 2016

You don't need an Xbox Live Gold membership for Netflix anymore. It used to be required but it's not now. You will need an Xbox Live account for Netflix set-up/sign-in purposes but the free account is fine. We stream Netflix through a Blu-ray player now, but we used to do it through our Xbox.

Ms. I, yellowdaisies and mathmagic like this.
  30. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Jul 27, 2016

So we just started watching Gilmore Girls... so far so good.

31. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jul 29, 2016

Thanks guys. OK, well how much (if anything) is an XBox live account then?

32. heatherberm

heatherberm Cohort

Jul 29, 2016

Ms. I and mathmagic like this.
  33. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jul 30, 2016

Thanks a lot heatherberm. I bookmarked that site so I'm ready to go when GG starts!