Revisiting INTERACTIVE NOTEBOOKS--Need HELP

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by WindyCityGal606, Jul 6, 2014.

1. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Jul 6, 2014

I learned about interactive notebooks here on A to Z several years ago and I actually tried them out at the time for my Social Studies classes but I ran into many troubles with managing them. Does anyone use them for Social Studies or Science? I am seriously thinking about giving it another go in the fall. Can someone share their organizational strategies and hits or misses with Interactive Notebooks? :help:

3. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

Jul 6, 2014

I use them for high school science so I do not know how much help I can be. I keep a student organization station with all the necessary supplies--tape, glue sticks, scissors, etc. They use composition notebooks and if I copy things at 75% with a little trimming it fits into the notebook. I also make them number pages because if they tear out pages then the notebooks start to fall apart. They also keep a table of contents which helps with extended absences. They can compare their notebook to someone else and easily see what was missed and we make a schedule to catch them up. I make 2-4 page booklets for them to take notes so all notes are on one page for one topic. The notes are usually followed by practice problems, foldables to summarize a single part of the notes, labs, and any activities to further development of the topic. I do not do the teacher input and student output thing because it does not work for me and high school students want to do the least amount of work possible so I found their output terrible to be honest. So the notes booklet is like the teacher input and then we do some activities to develop the concept as the student output. They usually have 4-5 pages of output. They all stay on the same page so essentially each students notebook is exactly the same. This helps when we review for tests. I tell them what pages they need to study and we highlight the information that they need to study and we look at possible types of test questions and problems. I help them get pages pages put in for the first few weeks but after that I leave the pages they need out on the front table and list the pages that they go on the board. When the tardy bell rings, I set a timer for 5 minutes and while I do roll and take care of any problems or hand back papers, they are setting up their notebook for that day. When the timer goes off all glue, tape, and scissors need to be back in their place. I have a pocket chart that tells them what materials they need for the day--calculator, highlighters, colored pencils, etc. and they must have that on their table and ready to go.

4. PalmettoTeacher

PalmettoTeacher Rookie

Jul 6, 2014

I use them for Social Studies and Science. Our science notebooks travel between the classroom and the science lab. They write their notes and the experiments that were done along with the results. Sometimes there are parts to tape or glue in to make less writing for them and so that everything could be done in one lesson. It is much easier for them to carry this home instead of a heavy textbook for studying.
    I really like them for social studies. I begin each unit with an introductory page. I write the title on it in the middle and then give them about five minutes to write or draw anything they know about the topic. We then discuss it and I write their words on the board. I keep a notebook as well so that there is something for them to copy in case they are absent. Most of my lessons on on the Promethean Board. I have their notes that we read and activities for them. Then there is a summary paragraph or two for them to complete. This is similar to a cloze passage. This is the part that is glued into their notebooks. I also have them write the standard and essential question for the lessons at the top of their pages. Sometimes we will do other things such as trading cards for the important people of the American Revolution. I would give them an envelope to glue into their notebooks to keep their cards. We glue maps and other things such as graphic organizers directly into the notebooks.
    I also have group materials for them so that they can easily glue their materials into their notebooks.
    This year I plan on giving notebooks quizzes so that they can truly see the importance of keeping a notebook.

5. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Jul 6, 2014

I'm thrilled to hear they can work in 5th grade too since that's what I teach. I want to use them for both Science and Social Studies too. In the case of your notes that you read together then do cloze passages....do you have students copy the notes on the right side from your Promethean Board then have them fill in the cloze passage using their notes or do you keep the notes up so they can use it to do the cloze passage? I also have a Promethean Board but I don't have anything set up for my lessons yet. I need to organize it all for 1st quarter at least.