Reviewing for tests..

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by Historyteaching, Jan 31, 2010.

1. Historyteaching

Historyteaching Cohort

Jan 31, 2010

How do you review for tests???

Do you go over practice questions?

Give study guides?

Randomly choose actual test questions?

Give worksheets?

Tell students the areas to look back over for potential test questions??

3. Doug_HSTeach_07

Doug_HSTeach_07 Comrade

Jan 31, 2010

I usually give the study guide a week before the test. On the review day I will pick random questions from the study guide for our game. I never choose test questions and we never go over the study guide as a class. I feel like that is their job.

4. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Jan 31, 2010

My students always get study guides. I divide them up into 4 sections: test format, important terms, important people and places, essential questions, and test format. Study guides are given a week in advanced. For my final, however, I do give review worksheets, regular tests I do not. For quizzes I tell my students exactly what to review (including what hand outs and notes).

5. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Feb 1, 2010

I give my kids a pretty specific outline a few days before the test. That way, the kids in 2nd period have every bit as good an idea of what's on the test as the kids in 9th, knowing that they talk to each other. And, since each class gets a different version of the test, I'm absolutely fine with them discussing the test.

My "do now" problems the days before the test may drag up some of the types of questions they haven't seen in a few days.

6. SunnyGal

SunnyGal Companion

Feb 1, 2010

Usually I give a study guide. With my 9th graders, my study guides are often just re-worded test questions. They know this, yet, several of them still don't bother to complete the study guide. :rolleyes:

Sometimes I let my 10th graders teach one another on review days. I'll divide up material that is going to be on a test, put them in groups, and they'll get up in front of the class and re-teach their section to each other. They really enjoy it, and I like seeing what they come up with.