Reviewing alphabet sounds activity

Discussion in 'First Grade' started by massteacher, Sep 7, 2011.

1. massteacher

massteacher Companion

Sep 7, 2011

Hi All,
    What do you do to review letter sounds that are fun and get their little bodies moving? Thank you!

3. jlj

jlj Devotee

Sep 7, 2011

Think of a movement for each ie. a- move arms as an alligator mouth, b- bounce ball, bat a ball c- crawl d- dance or dog e- elephant f- frog g- growl, gallop h- horse, hammer, hoola i- Indian, insects, play instruments j- jump k- kangaroo, kick l- laugh, leap m- monkeys, mice, munch n- make various noises, wrinkle/wiggle nose o- octopus (lock thumbs together, fingers down), how many ways can you make 'o' with body p- oink like a pig, pretend to peel potatoes, fly a plane q- be very quite, move various body parts quickly, quack like duck r- roll, run in place s- stomp, snakes t- tip toe, twist u- make ugly faces, play ukulele, go under something v- play violin, make 'v' sound which vibrates lips w- wave, walk x- spread arms & legs to make 'x' y- yo-yo, find/touch something yellow z- zip a zipper, make zero with body

children can also make various letters, shapes, etc. by laying on floor together ie, 3 children make upper I, or K, 2 make T

they can also trace a letter on a partner's back & the partner try to guess the letter

hope these help!

4. AZMrs.S

AZMrs.S Cohort

Sep 7, 2011

Love the movements for the alphabet! That is too cute!

5. massteacher

massteacher Companion

Sep 8, 2011

Thanks! I found a fun movement alphabet cards, but some of your ideas make way more sense and are more fun! I'm going to try this out tomorrow. Thanks!!

6. Elm512

Elm512 Companion

Sep 11, 2011

We do a dance to the tune of "Who let the dogs out". We say each letter, then it's sound while doing the move. Like "WHO LET THE B OUT? /b/..../B/ /B/ while pretending to bounce a ball.