Review of Math CSET I prep course - teacherstestprep.com

Discussion in 'Single Subject Tests' started by ReidsMimi, Aug 6, 2013.

1. ReidsMimi

ReidsMimi New Member

Aug 6, 2013

Hi, everyone...I'm new here so I apologize if this has already been discussed (I tried to search for similar topics in the forum but the search tool isn't working for me).

I'm scheduled to take the CSET Math Subtest I tomorrow. Yikes. It has been a very long time since I have taken math, and I knew I needed to participate in a prep course, and so after a lot of looking I chose the online course Teacherstestprep. I liked that I would be able to complete it online at my own pace, and that it guaranteed my money back if I don't pass it after two attempts. As a single mom on a tight schedule and a tight budget, this appealed to me.

I've been studying like mad, both using the prep course and other materials that have been lent to me. Right away I could tell that the videos and resources on Teachers Test Prep didn't go into enough depth to really refresh my memory, so I've tried to supplement my studying with other materials. But I finally got through the whole program, and I was feeling pretty confident when it was finally time to take one of their practice tests. Turns out the videos on the site don't even prepare you for their own practice tests! There were a lot of questions that were not covered in the "lessons." And then, when I attempted the "official" CSET sample questions, I was even more underprepared. Many of the questions felt like I was reading Greek (and I don't speak Greek!).

So, in the last few days, I have gone from nervous, to confident and excited, to completely freaking out. I'm almost positive I am going to bomb this thing.

This is a very long way of saying, does anyone else have experience with this program? Is it just me, or is this course a waste of time and money?

And with my test being tomorrow :)eek:), does anyone have any last minute advice? It's probably too little too late, but every little bit helps!

3. rapple

rapple Rookie

Aug 7, 2013

CSET Math

I have taken their courses - both online and weekend courses. It helped direct me to find what I needed to study for the multiple subject tests and I supplemented enough to pass those tests.

I don't think their single subject online math program (or weekend program) are meant to cover depth - just breadth. They essentially give just a quick overview of what you might see on the test but it's not enough to actually pass the CSETs in Math unless you have prior foundation. I actually purchased the OCDE books and they helped somewhat (although I was disappointed in all the blank pages without explanations) and I also bought some VERY overpriced books which have been promoted on these boards by other posters.

I just took math CSET test 2 a couple weeks ago (still waiting on results) and although all of these items helped, they did not give the foundation that I gained by taking math classes at my local college to review everything. I have taught Algebra in private schools for almost 20 years and these CSET tests are pretty intense. I actually took some of my practice questions to my college professors for help and ALL of my professors were floored by the difficulty.

4. newbie2015teach

newbie2015teach New Member

Jan 7, 2015

Thank you for your post! I am preparing for tests this May and I was curious about the Teacher Test Prep on line. You have helped in my curiosity. I have been trying to reach them all week and they are not answering so there was my first red flag. Apparently preospective customers are not important to them and for them they are just shooting fish in a barrel so who needs to run a business in a good way.
    Thanks for your post, I will be avoiding them!

5. ReidsMimi

ReidsMimi New Member

Jan 8, 2015

Update

Hi, I suppose I should have included an update back then! It turns out I passed Math I and Math II that first time (I did not take Math III). Unfortunately I don't remember if that course played a part in passing or not, so this probably isn't helpful to anyone. But wanted you to know that it can be done! And I am now teaching!

6. tguinto2003

tguinto2003 Rookie

Jan 26, 2015

Yay! Congratulations!! It's always nice to read posts like this.

I am TRYING to prepare to take the test , but being a stay at home mom with 3 kids, makes it kinda hard. I am confident with the pre cal questions , but need to work on other topics like vectors, matrices and number theory. Did you see a lot of questions on these topics?

Thank you and congrats again!

7. denaruple

denaruple New Member

Feb 23, 2015

Im studying for the math CSET I am so overwhelmed, I feel lost with no direction right now. I have heard mixed reviews about the teacher test prep. San Diego Office of education has an online prep I was thinking about, and through orange county dept there is a study guide. Ugh I just do not know where to go

8. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Feb 23, 2015

tguinto2003 and denaruple, what are your backgrounds in math?

9. denaruple

denaruple New Member

Feb 23, 2015

I have taken up to college algebra, which I know is limited but I am a quick learner and able to catch on quickly. I just need guidance for a great online prep or study guide!! Ive worked in algebra classes the past few years so that is help keepin my math fresh

10. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Feb 23, 2015

Try Khan Academy (you can Google it), which does cover math at the level you'll need. If Khan's style doesn't work for you, look the concepts up on Wikipedia or go to Wolfram MathWorld; if those explanations don't do it for you, Math Is Fun (the Web site is actually mathsisfun.com) has good clear explanations and gets into more sophisticated math than one might think.

11. denaruple

denaruple New Member

Feb 23, 2015

yes I love kahn!

12. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Feb 23, 2015

Starting from college algebra, you've got some work ahead of you. Let me also recommend looking through older posts here; for a couple of years after CSET Math's first appearance in 2003, there were some lively discussions involving the likes of innovationguy and Malcolm.

13. Harperc2013

Harperc2013 New Member

Apr 8, 2015

Hi there
    I am planning on taking the subtest 1 very soon and i purchased teacher test prep and kind of regret it , but I can't find any prep classes to review for the test . When I took the practice test , the videos did not give any examples that were on their practice exam. How similar are the questions on the teacher test prep exams are to actual test. Are there any suggestions that will help for the exam . I have not taken math in over 20 years and am basically starting from scratch. Any suggestions would be really appreciated

14. tedc2379

tedc2379 Rookie

Apr 16, 2015

Try Richard Delaware's online lectures for College Algebra on youtube. He is very thorough. Also PatrickJMT's videos...just search by concept (he seems to have a video for everything!)