Review of Bridge to Terabithia (2007 Disney movie)

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by AspieTeacher, Apr 11, 2009.

1. AspieTeacher

AspieTeacher Comrade

Apr 11, 2009

I just watched the DVD version of Bridge to Terabithia from Disney. I don't really remember the details of the short story by Katherine Patterson from 6th grade when we read the book for the first time. I watched the movie and I was crying my eyes out. This is a fantastic movie that Disney didn't even botch. I really wish that I could have seen it in the theatres when it first came out. They did a great job showing the emotional bond between Jess and Leslie. I wish more teachers would encourage older students to watch this film to teach their students about compassion and feeling empathy for others. I have to give the movie a full 5 star rating! :thumb:

If you can, don't wait see this fantastic movie ASAP!

Aspieteacher

3. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Apr 11, 2009

I didn't like the movie nearly as much as the book, primarily because of the creatures in the movie. I didn't get the sense they were so...prominent...in the book and was surprised when I watched the movie. We took our students to see the movie when it came out after reading the book in class, and most all of the students preferred the movie. Figures. :)

4. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Apr 11, 2009

I like the book better. I remember reading the book and crying my eyes out. My mom wasn't home and my poor dad had no idea how to deal with a preteen girl crying over a book. He tried - he talked to me about how books make you feel things because they make you see the best and worst in yourself and the people around you. Very deep stuff for my dad believe me!

5. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Apr 12, 2009

I haven't seen the movie yet,but the book is one of my absolute favorites. I cried my eyes out too, and I was an adult. I find it hard to see movies before books because rarely are they like the book. The closest I have seen-movie wise- to the books are the Lord of the Rings trilogy. Peter Jackson tried hard to remain true to the books,and I appreciated it. I agree with Justme-the creatures were not a prominent force in the book-the friendship between Jesse and Leslie was.

6. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Apr 12, 2009

Never read the book:D; but I LOVED the movie so much that I had to go out and buy it!