Review Games

Discussion in 'Middle School / Junior High' started by stody2, Jul 9, 2008.

1. stody2

stody2 Rookie

Jul 9, 2008

I know I've been posting a lot lately, but I am starting to look at my materials for next year since I will be out of town for 13 days. I play 2 review games with my kids: Bingo and Jeopardy. Does anyone know of other review games and where I can find templates?

3. ~~Pam~~

~~Pam~~ Companion

Jul 10, 2008

4. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Jul 10, 2008

I use basketball review. Kids sit in small groups; I ask review questions; they collaborate for an answer. Each question is worth one point. If they get it right, they get a chance to shoot a basket (Nerf basketball hoop) from the 1, 2, or 3 point line. If they make it, they get the extra points. At the end, whichever team has the most points gets 5 points extra credit on the test.

The kids (especially boys) love it! However, you do have to hide the hoop and ball at the end of the day - will DEFINITELY get stolen :)

5. MrL

MrL Companion

Jul 16, 2008

I do Stump the Teacher. They get a certain amount of the textbook to make questions from. I.E., 1 per section, six sections. Then I walk around and they ask me questions. Each question they stump me one gets them an extra credit point. They will line up for a chance to stump you!

6. KLily21

KLily21 Companion

Aug 17, 2008

I play the same game! Except I also have a chance to ask the students questions, too. I even offer extra credit. They get one point for answering my question correctly. They get 5 points for stumping me.

The kids love it! It forces the students to think critically while they read because they are trying hard to think of questions that they can ask me or that I may ask them. It also gives them a specific purpose for reading which helps with comprehension.

7. holliday

holliday Comrade

Aug 18, 2008

You can play a game I *stole* from some teacher on the web many years ago...sorry I don't remember where I got it...

You select a starting and stopping point in your room (they should be pretty far apart).

Go around the room asking kids questions. Each time they get it right, take a step toward the stopping place. If they get it wrong, take a step back.

Set a time limit they need to move you to the stopping place by in order to win.

My students always LOVE this game. It's so simple, too and takes no props!