Review Games

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by TLR102383, Sep 24, 2005.

1. TLR102383

TLR102383 Rookie

Sep 24, 2005

I teach 7th grade and we're having a big test coming up. I want to spend an entire class period reviewing but I want it to be fun too. Does anyone have any good review games that work well for them? Thanks!

3. uclalum

uclalum Groupie

Sep 24, 2005

Although I work with younger children, one time I played a jeapardy game that seventh graders might also enjoy. I came up with 5 categories from the unit and then made 5 questions for each category and wrote them on index cards. I put point values on post it notes and stuck them over each question. The easiest was 100 points, the hardest was 500 points. I used a big pocket chart to hold the cards but you could use something else if you don't have one. The class was put into 4-5 teams. Each time a group got a question correct, I took off the post it note and stuck it to the board.This makes tallying points easy at the end.
    For seventh graders, you could try doing it like the actual show by writing answers and having them formulate questions.

4. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Sep 24, 2005

I use jeopardy also but I keep it really simple (for me). I use black posterboard with library pockets. Index cards fit perfectly. The kids keep track of their own totals (can get into negatives). Instead of beeping in, though, we go around and take turns. For a larger class you could have them in teams of 3 and collaborate on their answers.

I use bingo games for any kind of math review. This week for my 7/8 class they will be making their own 4x4 bingo boards with algebraic expressions. I list about 20 choices on the board and they choose 16. I will read aloud the word form of the expressions and they have to cover the correct algebraic expressions. It really works well. For example, if one of the choices is x/2 and I call 1/2 x, they will have to think for a moment to recognize it. I also use this for decimals to fractions and fractions to decimals.

5. WITeach

WITeach Cohort

Sep 24, 2005

I do a jeopardy type game as well...but I use it in a PowerPoint format. I use a projector or connect my laptop to our tv so everyone can read the questions. The kids love coming up clicking the questions. :) Now that I have the template made it's easy to pop in questions and answers for different subjects.

6. dee

dee Companion

Sep 24, 2005

I teach elementary but I do tic-tac-toe. I have the class divided into 2 teams. I ask a question and the first one to answer gets to mark x or o. The kids love it. In math, we play Hot Feet or Hot Seat if the students are sitting. Again, I divide the class into 2 teams. I give each child a marker and he/she has to turn away from the board. I put a problem on the board and the first one to answer correctly gets a point for his/her team. I also do this when we begin spelling words by calling out a word and the first one to spell the word correctly gets the point.

7. uclalum

uclalum Groupie

Sep 25, 2005

WITeach,
    I know how to hook my laptop up to a projection screen, but how do you hook your laptop up to the t.v.? Does it also work for when you go online?

8. WITeach

WITeach Cohort

Sep 25, 2005

uclalum,

I use a VGA cable when connecting to the projector and an S-Video cable when connecting from my laptop to my tv. If your tv or computer are older, they may not have the s-video connection. It also works to show the internet. Hope this helps!

9. TLR102383

TLR102383 Rookie

Sep 25, 2005

Thanks

Thanks for all the ideas, I was actually able to make Jeopardy game. It turned out awesome! If anyone wants me to send it to them just email me with your email address and I'll send it to you. It would be really easy to change to meet any subject and grade level.

10. HrnDebbE

HrnDebbE Rookie

Sep 26, 2005

I would appreciate you sending me the template for the Jeopardy game. I too am looking for good ideas for review games. :) My 5th graders are really competitive and enjoy these. Their favorite one so far is for Spelling and using our empty trashcan for basketball goal. If they say, spell, say the word correctly they get a shot (I have 5 rows of 4 desks each and each desk is assigned a point value, with the back of the room being worth 25 points). They practically will review for any subject if we use this game. I just don't want them to get burned out and want to give variety. ;)

11. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Sep 27, 2005

They just love all games. Yesterday we played algebra bingo in 8th grade and I heard one kid say, "Mr. __ never played games last year. At my other school we just had to sit and watch our teacher at the overhead." I laughed. I even use candy as rewards. They learn better with games. I ring a bell when a new game is going to start. The kids are really funny, too. I was setting up a new game and one kid quietly called out, "Yahtzee".