Reversals in writing

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by 2ndTimeArnd, Oct 20, 2006.

1. 2ndTimeArnd

2ndTimeArnd Companion

Oct 20, 2006

I know that many beginning writers reverse letters - particularly b,d,p, q, and z. But I have a 2nd grader who sometimes (not always) writes in almost a mirror image. She wrote a little book with the title on the back, so the book flipped from back to front; plus, she wrote each sentence from right to left, and made the letters and words backwards - like if she was writing play, she'd write it "yalp," and the p was backwards. On a recent spelling test she numbered 1 to 5 down the left side of the paper, as I'd modeled, but then 6-10 she wrote at the far side of the paper, wrote the spelling words from right to left, and, again, formed some of the letters backwards. This would seem to be very hard - but it seems to come easy to her. She's not left-handed, and she claims to not even realize she's doing it. She's not the kind of kid who would do it on purpose just to be cute or defiant.
    Even the lit coach at my school is puzzled. I haven't consulted the special ed teacher yet. The girl doesn't seem to have any dyslexic problems in reading, tho she is slightly below grade level and also has fairly poor handwriting. She also makes some numbers backward. Parents have noticed and are looking for answers.
    Any ideas on what to do about this, or where I can find more information?

3. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Oct 20, 2006

I know a teacher who also has a 2nd grader who he says reverses letters & #s quite a bit. A test that can be done to see if one has dyslexia is called the Dyslexia Screening Test or D.S.T. Find out if your campus has this test kit available. I was told though that at the 2nd grade level, kids are prone to reverse things.

4. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Oct 21, 2006

The Semitic languages are written from right to left. What's the child's language background?

5. 2ndTimeArnd

2ndTimeArnd Companion

Oct 21, 2006

Interesting thought ... but she's Anglo through and through! Older brother had some fine-motor/handwriting difficulties too. I will keep looking and await any other input! Thanks.

6. Celestial

Celestial Rookie

Oct 21, 2006

Did you find out if the parents are dyslexic? It runs in the family...