Returning to Teaching- LONG

Discussion in 'General Education' started by penguinpc, Jan 14, 2009.

1. penguinpc

penguinpc Comrade

Jan 14, 2009

After a six year hiatus, I plan to return to teaching this coming fall.

A little bit about me:

I was hired for my first and only teaching job in 1999. I had subbed in that district for a year before that which I'm sure helped me a lot in obtaining the position.

In the spring of 2002, very near the end of the academic year, my first child was born.

In the fall of 2002, my school stopped ability grouping. The school was in an upper middle class neighborhood, so there were a lot of parents involved at the school. (As I like to say, "Affluence breeds interference.") They were very unhappy about no more grouping and as a result, spent a lot of time harassing the teachers and the school district. They wanted their precious snowflakes challenged and they just knew that couldn't happen without ability grouping.

Having a new baby is stressful, teaching is stressful, and with the feeling we were under a microscope, the stress levels were higher than usual for that year.

So the depression and anxiety I had been ignoring for years finally took its toll on me. I ended up taking a month off and getting help in the form of medication and counseling. When I finally returned to school, I was better off mentally and emotionally, but still not happy with the situation we were in.

At the end of that year I decided I had had it with teaching. I didn't like the pressure I had been under, and I was tired of taking it home. I resigned, without consulting with my wife.

Thinking back on that, I can see I still wasn't where I needed to be emotionally. I also had low self-esteem and didn't believe I was a very good teacher.

I didn't know what kind of job to look for, so for the next two years, I subbed in the very district I had resigned from. I excelled as a substitute and I was requested often. However, subbing only pays so much.

In the spring of my second year of subbing, I decided I needed to find out how I felt about teaching. I took a long term position filling in for a teacher on maternity leave and I was teaching the same grade level I had taught as a classroom teacher.

This was a great opportunity. I was discovered that I was a very good teacher and that I was confident in my own abilities. Near the end of my time there, the team I had worked with asked me if I would want to teach with them full time the next year. I was so flattered that I told them I had to think about it. In the end, I decided not to pursue a position with them because I still didn't want to take teaching home with me. However, I had received a huge self-esteem boost.

Because of my connections at that school, I was hired as their IT person the next year. I remained in that job for three years and loved it for the most part. However, it just didn't pay enough and I still didn't think I wanted to teach again.

Through another connection, a teacher at my school, I was able to get a job in local government. It was totally different than anything I had ever done before, but I was ready to dig in. You see, I didn't think I needed passion to do my job. I just needed to earn a paycheck. The new job didn't pay as much as teaching, but it did pay more than campus level IT, and the insurance was also better.

For about the first month, I missed school and the kids, but I figured that was normal. That was in July.

It is now January, and if anything, my feelings have intensified. So much so, that after a lot of soul searching, I have decided to pursue teaching again.

I have started sending queries to people I know in my former district. I feel that this will be the easiest place for me to get a job.

I excited and scared about all this. More excited than scared, though.

I guess one of the things that scares me is telling my current boss, "Thanks for the job, sorry to leave you so soon." But the thing is, if I had stayed in the school system in IT, I think I would have remained complacent and not considered returning to teaching. I believe that it is this new job, which has taken me out of an environment I have been in for ten years, that has allowed me to appreciate what I have missed by not being in a classroom. So I don't see my current job as wasted time.

I have no passion for the job I am currently in. There is nothing wrong with it, and it is actually easier than teaching.

However, if I have learned anything over the last ten years, it's this: I have a passion and a calling and it's teaching. I have invested far too much in it, emotionally, intellectually, and spiritually to give it up.

Wish me luck and thanks for reading.

3. pxydst07

pxydst07 Comrade

Jan 14, 2009

I have never wanted to do anything other than teaching! I have drawings from 1st grade showing me with my classroom. I could never do anything else. I think your "teaching revelation" is great! I wish you nothing but the best!

4. penguinpc

penguinpc Comrade

Aug 12, 2009

Well, new teacher inservices start today in my former district. Needless, to say, I'm not there. I'm bummed. Wondering if I should keep trying in case something comes up at the last moment. :(

5. Kris8806

Kris8806 Companion

Aug 12, 2009

I definitely think you should keep trying. Things may turn up! :hugs:

I flip-flopped between teaching and the legal field for a few years and finally made the decision to permanently stay within the education field. It took me two years to find a teaching job but I'm finally starting tomorrow. =) Don't give up if teaching is what you really want to do. It would have been very easy for me to give up last August when I couldn't find a job but I'm proud of myself that I didn't. I stuck it out another year in the legal field and continued applying for jobs.

Keep us posted on how it goes!