returning to teaching after a break?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by jclaiborn, Jul 10, 2012.

1. jclaiborn

jclaiborn Rookie

Jul 10, 2012

Hello everyone,
    I am new here and come with a question. Have any of you taken a break from teaching and then returned? I taught for 2 years after receiving my degree and then took a break to stay home with my children. It has been just over 3 years since I've taught now. My husband is deploying so I will be returning with my girls to our hometown. My husband is encouraging me to apply to the small school there for an elementary position that is open, this is the school that I previously taught at. The problem is I feel rusty in my skills. What can I do to refresh my knowledge? I feel like things are changing so often that I will be behind in current practices. How would you handle this? Thanks so much!
    Jenny

3. janlee

janlee Devotee

Jul 10, 2012

I taught for 8 years, stayed home for 9 1/2 years to raise my sons, and then returned. I left teaching 3rd and returned to teaching 2nd so there wasn't too much of a problem with the curriculum. I also had a great group of teachers who helped me with units, worksheets, etc. and that made the return much easier. I think I would have had a more challenging time if it wasn't for the help from the teachers who are now not only my colleagues but dear friends. Do you feel that you will have support from the teachers at the school for help if you are hired? A detailed curriculum for the grade you could be hired for would also be most beneficial.

4. OhThePlaces

OhThePlaces Cohort

Jul 10, 2012

I'm in the same position. I taught for two years right out of college, then had a baby, then another and have stayed home for three years now. I have decided to teach part-time at a small private preschool (where my 3 year old and 1.5 year old can both attend) and when they're both in elemenrary school I'd like to go back to teaching full time. I feel like a brand new teacher after being gone longer than I worked!

On a separate note, my husband deployed last year immediately after our daughter was born and I also moved back to my small hometown. I know how hard it can be with two small children on your own. My heart goes out to you!

5. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Jul 11, 2012

I taught for 7 years and then ended up spending 15 years at home with my boys. I'm back now for 7 years. I changed from a rural community to a suburban one and the whole world of education changed while I was gone. I slipped into instruction seamlessly, but needed help with some things. Subbing helped me with that. Frankly, you haven't been out for that long, so I think you'll have great success immediately. Good luck!

6. CFClassroom

CFClassroom Connoisseur

Jul 11, 2012

Three years isn't all that long, but it will require a ton of extra time outside the normal schooldays. My concern would be that you'll already be in a fairly stressful situation raising the kids while your hubby is away. Only you know what you can handle. Best of luck.

7. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 11, 2012

Welcome!!

I taught for 18 years, then took 5 off to be home iwth my kids. I was fortunate enough to be in the position to turn down several other offers and return to the school I had left 5 years prior.

One of the biggest challenges was juggling all the demands on my time. It's TOUGH being a working mom. I needed to arrange childcare for mornings and after school, and to figure out what to do on those mornings when someone wakes up sick.

I wouldnt sweat the rusty skills so much as the parenting issues.

Best of luck, and thanks to you and your family for all you do for us.