Returning to teaching after 10 years!!

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by wvteach, Jul 15, 2010.

1. wvteach

wvteach Rookie

Jul 15, 2010

I am new here and have been reading all of the threads for quite some time. I am trying to return to teaching after being home with my boys for 10 years. My youngest is starting K this coming year. Soooo......I have decided to take the plunge and start applying. I had an interview this past week and got a call today from the asst. superintendent. He wants me to come in next Tues. to go over my certification and what all needs to happen there (formerly taught in VA). Said we would go from there. What do you think??? Is this a good sign. I just don't want to get my hopes up. Thanks for listening!!! I look forward to getting to know you all!

3. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jul 15, 2010

It sounds positive! Not many people get a call from the asst. super. From what I understand, he/she either calls 2-3 people that the P has narrowed it down to....or sometimes it's just a formality and that person contacted is the one who is offered the job after speaking with them. Good luck!

4. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jul 15, 2010

Welcome to the boards! West Virginia is such a beautiful state. Glad to hear you'll most likely be working with the kids there. Looking forward to chatting with you.

:welcome::atoz_love:

5. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jul 15, 2010

Welcome! I was home with my kids for 10 years as well. I got my "feet wet" by subbing for almost a year, did two long-term sub assignments (one for 4 months and one for 9 months), then was hired on a permanent contract.

This is a wonderfully supportive and knowledgeable community... be careful, though, it's addictive!

6. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 15, 2010

Hi and welcome!!

I just finished my 4th year after a 6 year SAHM break. It takes some juggling, but I love what I'm doing.

As to the call: districts have been beseiged with teachers looking for work. He would NOT have contacted you had he not been interested!!

Good luck!!

7. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Jul 15, 2010

Welcome! I agree with others that the assistant superintendent calling is a good sign! Good luck!

8. wvteach

wvteach Rookie

Jul 15, 2010

Thanks so much for the responses. It is so hard waiting....but I know that I am in good company. It is so nice to know that others are going through the same emotions that you are experiencing. I appreciate the support!!!

9. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Jul 15, 2010

Welcome wv! I was at home for 15 years - and it took a long time to find the perfect postion but I did 5 years ago with these people's help! Looks like it might happen quickly for you. congrats and hope to hear more from you.

10. kpteacher

kpteacher Rookie

Jul 16, 2010

one step closer

imo...if you got a call from the super to come in and talk, then that is a good sign....just keep in mind that you have been out for a while, as I was, and that there are thousands of people looking for teaching jobs, so he may want to discuss other options about getting into the district, subbing, aide...etc. I was SAHM for 7 years, after teaching for 4, went back to subbing this past year, did lots of interviews and finally got a job...make sure you are prepared with a portfolio, brochure and all the WoW stuff....good luck!

11. wvteach

wvteach Rookie

Jul 16, 2010

I am prepared to do whatever it takes to get my foot back in the teaching door. If that means subbing or being an aide, I am okay with that. This is a very small district with only 6 jobs posted thus far. Four of those were taken by transfers. I was lucky enough to interview for the other 2 positions. So, trying to keep a positive attitude and stay busy to pass the time. Thanks for all of your support. :)

12. Mommyserenity

Mommyserenity Devotee

Jul 16, 2010

Hi! This is my first year back in the classroom full time after being home and doing some part time work. My youngest is going into kindergarten this year, so it was just the right time! While I didn't get into the public system this year, I landed a job in small private school and I think it's going to be a great fit during this year of transition for both me and my family. Good luck!!! :)

13. wvteach

wvteach Rookie

Jul 16, 2010

Mommyserenity.....it is so awesome that you got a job teaching first grade. I taught first grade for 3 years and really loved it....I know you will too. My youngest is starting kindergarten as well this coming school year. Transitions...transitions!!! Good luck with your new job!!!