Returning to private sector

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by nangel78, Nov 6, 2011.

1. nangel78

nangel78 Companion

Nov 6, 2011

After searching for awhile and subbing, I have decided to return to the private sector in my job search. With a mortgage and insurance to consider, it is necessary at this point. Has anyone else had to do this to? What did you apply for?

3. penguinpc

penguinpc Comrade

Nov 7, 2011

I currently work in local government. I'm also in Texas. I am actually planning on trying subbing this fall if I do not get hired anywhere.

4. nangel78

nangel78 Companion

Nov 7, 2011

I am still subbing and working at two other part time jobs. I am not giving up on getting a teaching position full time in the future, but I also know it is tough right now too. I would like to be able to be at one place so I can still apply for teaching jobs easier.

5. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Nov 7, 2011

I'm somewhat in a different situation. My husband got a job in another town that required us to move. Thus, I had to quit my teaching job. There are NO jobs in this area, and the ones that do pop up go to those who have some sort of connection. Because I refuse to sub (personal choice and it's hard to get on the subbing list), I've started tutoring and I was fortunate to get hired as a part time homeschool teacher.

Have you looked on Craigslist? That's how I got my homeschool job. I noticed they tend to have different kinds of jobs but still relate to education.

6. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Nov 7, 2011

Wow Peachy... tough to want to teach and not have the opportunity. I HATE subbing. But when my family was relocated because my hubby received a promotion I STEELED myself for doing it. THANK GOODNESS, I was able to land a job and did not have to sub. Wishing you a teaching position in your future!

Nangel- Just keep subbing. It really is the best way to get your foot in the door. I would be the BEST sub in the entire district!

7. John Lee

John Lee Groupie

Nov 7, 2011

Being the BEST sub in my district means nothing. I am requested on a practically daily basis, and my job prospects are less than 1% (i.e. zero).

Go to private sector nangel78, and good luck!

8. tired.mom

tired.mom Companion

Nov 14, 2011

I understand--I am in Texas, and while my school district had openings, many did not. State or federal government is always good; I did training/taught courses for the feds before actually teaching in a school. The pay was also higher and benefits were significantly better...which matters, in many situations.

Not everyone can sub; it's unpredictable if you need dependable income.

9. nangel78

nangel78 Companion

Nov 15, 2011

Do you have websites to recommend in working for the government?

10. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Nov 15, 2011

Your best bet is to check your city / county / state web sites. They should each have a job bank.

11. Teachforlife

Teachforlife Rookie

Nov 18, 2011

I just took a driving test today to work for the post office. This was the last part of the process, so next I start training. I have been subbing this year and truely hate it.
    I believe the Lord has put this job in my way for a reason and choose to be joyful while doing it. I will still continute to apply for teaching jobs, but Im not going to hold my breath!

12. Teachforlife

Teachforlife Rookie

Nov 20, 2011

I found out I got the P O job. I am not too bummed as it pays more than I would make as a teacher. I do realize that I will be working summers, etc., but right now, schools arent exactly beating down my door to hire me.
    I have found, by talking to administrators and teachers in my local district, that my having a Master's degree is really hurting me right now. It's about the bottom line I suppose. Teachers in this district have also been furloughed 10 days due to budget cuts.

13. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Nov 23, 2011

Congratulations on the Post Office job. A masters would be a plus in Texas, so you just never know what a certain district is looking for. We all wish you happy trails and if your heart continues to be in education, keep looking for that all important teaching position. Try to stay current on the trends in education and stay in touch with your A to Z friends.

14. Teachforlife

Teachforlife Rookie

Nov 23, 2011

Thank you. I am still working toward a teaching position and pray that happens soon. I am keeping up with the education trends and plan to take a class or two to keep up my certification.

15. nangel78

nangel78 Companion

Nov 23, 2011

Congrats! I just got a job handing insurance stuff as a CSR but it is steady income and benefits. I plan to keep my certification current and do training to keep it up, but I need out of subbing. I am tired of it.

16. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Nov 23, 2011

I cannot deny that subbing for an extended period of time can be a beat down. Subbing does continue to be the easiest way to get your foot in the door in my area. Having said that, I realize that paying the bills wins out over finding a teaching job long term. I wish you both the best of luck. Hopefully you will both find something in the future that makes you happy whether that be teaching or your current job situations. Good luck again and have a HAPPY THANKSGIVING!!

17. linswin23

linswin23 Cohort

Nov 23, 2011

nangel--

What about museums? Many have educational positions? Good luck :)

18. nangel78

nangel78 Companion

Nov 23, 2011

It is not realistic for me to sub for another two to three years in hopes of something opening up. I will continue to keep my eye out there, but our finances suck currently and we need to get that stabilized. In my part of Texas, long term subs no longer get preference for positions. Ugh.

19. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Nov 23, 2011

Good Luck!

20. webmistress

webmistress Devotee

Nov 25, 2011

Besides teaching, I have 2 other things I'm passionate about. Actually I'm passionate about too many things to keep up with, but Science and Photography are at the top along with teaching.

After deciding to stop searching for a classroom job I had to put my efforts into my other interests. I was recently hired as an eye doctor's assistant, and in that same week, I got a call about becoming a newborn photographer! WOW. I had to turn that down of course, but I told them I'd love to volunteer for them.

There is definitely hope. I will keep my teaching license current simply because nothing in life is guaranteed and I'd be a fool to let it expire.

21. nangel78

nangel78 Companion

Dec 5, 2011

So I was lied to about the job I took and it is only a temp assignment for 3-4 months. I had no idea. I thought it was temp to perm. Looking yet again. If anyone has ideas or knows of anything, send my way. Teaching or whatever.