Returning from the Break

Discussion in 'General Education' started by mopar, Dec 21, 2010.

1. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Dec 21, 2010

Do you review your rules and procedures? For how long? And how?

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Dec 21, 2010

I teach high school.

They know exactly what the rules are.

Very predictably, I dive into content.

4. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Dec 21, 2010

No review...we just jump right in.

5. midwestteacher

midwestteacher Cohort

Dec 21, 2010

I teach high school also. The only exception is if some kids transfer into a class after the first semester.

6. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Dec 21, 2010

I teach middle school, and we do review the procedures. I review them the same way that I always do, but I use CHAMPs which is very formulaic. I review it for as long as it takes for them to do what they need to do.

When we go back from break, my students will have been out of my classroom for three weeks. They need the reminders.

7. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Dec 22, 2010

Ima...that's about where I am! My procedures don't change, my students don't really change, and I would hope that they remember. But most of the time, a few students need those reminders!

What is CHAMPs?

8. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Dec 22, 2010

I do a quick reminder of the procedures every day. It takes maybe 30 seconds, and it saves me a lot of grief.

CHAMPs is Randy Sprick's classroom management program. I've used it for years, and I really love it.

CHAMP is the acronym that I teach the kids, and I "champ" every activity and transition.

C=conversation
    (How long can I talk? To whom can I talk? About what can I talk?)

H=help
    (What do I do if I need help?)

A=activity
    (What am I supposed to be doing?)

M=movement
    (Why am I allowed to be out of my seat?)

P=participation
    (How will the teacher know I'm doing what I'm supposed to be doing?")

This is mine for independent seat work.

C--Level 1--desk neighbor, on-task, less than 1 minute
    (This means that students may whisper for less than a minute to anyone sitting within one desk about the assignment.)

H--ask 3 desk neighbors, then teacher
    (This means students are to ask three other students for help before asking the teacher.)

A--working on assignment
    (I put the assignment on the board in another location, and that's where they look.)

M--pencil, supplies, drink, restroom
    (They can be out of their seat to sharpen a pencil, get things they need to work on the assignment, get a drink of water, or ask to use the restroom.)

P--The student is working on the assignment quietly, and the assignment is finished on-time and accurately.
    (This is the only one I ever write in statement form.)

The first paper is one that I write out long form for myself to plan everything, and what I've given you is what I teach the kids. There are posters for these.

9. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Dec 22, 2010

That sounds really neat! It probably would work wonders with my students...

10. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Dec 22, 2010

I will review the Daily 5 expectations.

11. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Dec 22, 2010

I've got an older email with some samples saved on my computer if you want to see more of the program. You can PM me your email and I'll forward it to you. It's got several attachments to it.

12. nasirahc83

nasirahc83 Companion

Dec 23, 2010

Well my students will only be out for a week, so no need to review. It is time to get down to the nitty gritty of things.

13. PowerTeacher

PowerTeacher Comrade

Dec 26, 2010

I do Whole Brain Teaching. We use the Five Rules daily as a part of class, but I do specifically review them after a break.

14. Rockguykev

Rockguykev Connoisseur

Dec 26, 2010

I'll remind them there are rules but only because my student teacher who has led the class for the last three months is moving on. Otherwise, no way. I never have before and haven't had a problem.

Shoot, I don't even review them on the first day of school any more... Students respond far more to me than they would any formulaic rule set.

15. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Dec 26, 2010

We had a work day after the kids left before the break, and we go back before them. It will be close to 3 weeks that they are out. Also, I've set up the return as a turning point. The point where I stop building them up from former 3rd graders to treating them as future 5th graders. (I make a big deal about it being the 2nd half of the year.) We review everything, spending the most time on those things that will become harder for them. I also stress that it's a clean slate time. Whatever happened at the beginning of the year is in the past. It's time to start with new behavior, new energy, and new attitudes. I tell them that it's like the first day of school - except they already know me and their classmates.

16. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Dec 27, 2010

Nope, we dive right in.

17. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Dec 28, 2010

From past experince, the kids are typically relatively quiet the first day back from our two-week-long vacation. My kids know my expectations, but this year's group may need a few reminders (keep in mind that they're seven years old). I'll play it by ear, though--see how things go Monday morning.

18. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Dec 29, 2010

As a building, we review our building wide discipline policy. The principal has an assembly to review the rules. I do review the first day-but I don't spend an enormous amount of time on it. Like another poster, I make a big deal that they are about to start the second half of the 5th grade, and in less than 6 months they will be middle schoolers! I also spend more time prepping them for middle school!
    Since I do Responsive Classroom, I will review the expectations of our morning meeting.

19. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Dec 29, 2010

I think that I plan to spend just a few minutes reviewing some of the rules and procedures with my kids this year. They are a great group of kids and I didn't want to spend an enormous amount of time reviewing, but I think that they need some time!