Returning from maternity leave

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by collteach, Mar 18, 2008.

1. collteach

collteach Comrade

Mar 18, 2008

I posted this on the 4th grade board, but got no replies...so I thought I would try this one :)

Hello! I am a 4th grade teacher returning to work on the 24th after being on maternity leave since mid-December. I have kept in touch with my sub and my class, but I know that I will need to spend the first week reteaching MY procedures, rules, and expectations. We have a great deal to do academically, as the students fell behind a little and our testing is less than 2 months away, so I don't have oodles of time to use to get the students back on track with my procedures. I was wondering if anyone had any good suggestions of activities I could use to accomplish this? I don't want the kids to feel like I am coming back overly stern and strict, because I am a fairly laid-back teacher in many ways, as long as my students are respectful and working hard. However, there are a few students who have really shut down while I was gone, and I need them to see the importance of working hard and doing well. I hate to just stand there and restate the rules and procedures. I would love to figure out a more interesting way to do it.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated :)

3. elovestoteach

elovestoteach New Member

Mar 18, 2008

Why not have them put a skit together. 1st half showing what things they should do look like and then have the 2nd half showing what they shouldn't do and what those things look like.

I am a 3rd grade teacher and am 5 weeks pregnant. Did you make a fomal announcement to your class that you were pregnant?

4. collteach

collteach Comrade

Mar 19, 2008

I love the skit idea...I think I will do that. I already know that some of my first day back will be spent having the kids help me organize the room. I left rather quickly back in December due to a lot of pain and early labor that lasted for 2 1/2 weeks..UGH, so my room was not in the best shape then, and I guess my sub figured I didn't mind the mess. In reality...I like it to be very neat and organized...so hopefully we can get it in order my first week back.

I never really made a formal announcement about my pregnancy with my class...not until MUCH later on when I started to show and miss days for appointments and things. I know a first grade teacher who told her kids as soon as she found out and had them graphing their guesses on whether she would have a boy or girl...LOL! I am more private, I guess, so I waited. Even after I told them, some kids seemed clueless about why I was getting so large :)

5. Mrs LC

Mrs LC Comrade

Mar 20, 2008

Wow, not a very long maternity leave (I had nearly seven years off, long enough to get both babies off to school) but I think you're right that the first week will be spent getting your class back to being yours.

Rather than returning "stern and strict" just go back enthusiastic, with "We have a lot to get done, let's get into it!". Take care of yourself too though - that's not long to recuperate after a birth and caring for a new little one.