Return from Winter Break

Discussion in 'Fifth Grade' started by MsTeacherLadyMaam, Dec 30, 2007.

1. MsTeacherLadyMaam

MsTeacherLadyMaam New Member

Dec 30, 2007

Since this is my first year, I'm still at a loss as to what teachers normally do at certain times throughout the year. For example, my current dilemma is that I'm not sure what to do with my students when we return from Winter Break on Thursday. I know that we can pick up where we left off before the holidays, but I haven't seen them for two weeks and would like to have the chance to ease back into the routine of school. Does that make sense? Is easing back into things even a good idea or will it make my life tougher in the long run? What do some of you more experienced teachers normally do after the long holiday?

3. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Dec 30, 2007

I usually jump right back into the swing of things, but do a bit of review where needed.

4. laugh at onesel

laugh at onesel Rookie

Dec 30, 2007

When I taught in a self contained class we came back with the same ole same ole, but with some time for the students to share about their holiday. Now that I am departmenalized we do a small review (games, jeopardy) of the week before the holiday and give them time to share.

5. BabyMakes3

BabyMakes3 Rookie

Dec 30, 2007

I try to jump right back in to the routine. However, if you come back on a Thursday, I could see doing some other stuff on those 2 days. Do you have any art projects you could do that go along with math or reading...or maybe a fun science hands on activity.

6. BabyMakes3

BabyMakes3 Rookie

Dec 30, 2007

You could have them do a writing project about what they did over break...favorite gifts...etc.

7. Jeky

Jeky Comrade

Dec 31, 2007

I just came over here to ask that exact same question!
    I was also wondering, I'm thinking about doing a little goal-setting session first thing Monday morning. Has anyone done anything like this? I'm thinking about having a class discussion about the first trimester, stuff like what they liked and didn't like, how they think they did individually and as a class, then doing a short writing prompt about their goals. What do you guys think?

8. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Dec 31, 2007

First grade--We jump back into it with some time for sharing. We usually include journal writing and share it on the smartboard the first day back.

9. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Dec 31, 2007

I'm HS. I'm jumping right in. Thursday we review the material I started before break, more new stuff Friday, quiz Monday :)

10. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Dec 31, 2007

Having some time for review and sharing about their vacation is fine, but I really think it's best to jump back into the usual routines. In my experience (in 4th and 3rd grade) the students come back after vacation as if they've never been to school before. :eek: They seem to forget a lot of the routines and need reminding all over again like at the beginning of the year. Jumping right back into the swing of things seems to get them back on track. Spending too much time talking about the holidays and sharing about the vacation keeps them in "vacation mode" that much longer.

Just my :2cents:

11. cmw

cmw Groupie

Dec 31, 2007

:lol: We had 5 days & Thanksgiving and it was like that. I can't imagine them after the 16 we just had. (Especially since they were soooo off that last week.) :p Since I only see my kids once a week I will jump right in. I've spent hours surfing the web looking for really cool lessons for the rest of the year - especially for that 1st week back!

12. teacher333

teacher333 Devotee

Dec 31, 2007

The best bet is to ease them back in - you know they have not been keeping regular hours, eating regular food and doing very little academically! Last year, I had a student return from vacation, having landed at the airport at 5:30 a.m., and show up for school at 8:05 a.m. that same day! A writing assignment is good, sometimes I will do a best of/worst of the winter break, that they can all share. Most of us are going back on Wed. and it is a short week which is good, because they then get 2 days off to recuperate from whatever academics we did! Usually, in Science we will plan to come back doing a hands-in science experiment to introduce our next unit, as if we just read with them we will lose them within the first 5 minutes. In Math, we use an interactive math activity as a review on the Smartboard or using individual white boards that they then all have to hold up - this can be just a basic review as to what was taught right before break, and also gives you a good indication of what mode they are in.

13. TXTCHR29

TXTCHR29 Cohort

Dec 31, 2007

I will jump right back in. January to March is the most productive time of the school year. We have the state reading test on March
    4th, so we have lots to do before then!

14. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Jan 1, 2008

I like this idea. But I'll leave off the what they liked about first trimester part as far as subjects and lessons go. I don't much care whether they liked it or not:lol:

But thinking about what worked for them and what didn't as far as homework, grades, socializing, reading and math goals, etc. would be a great idea. Thanks!:)

15. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Jan 1, 2008

I was also planning on doing a review activity after lunch and before PE. I was going to take them to the gym and have them write examples of the four types of sentences using what is going on in front of them as material.

Throw the ball to me! (imperative)
    That kid is sprawled on the floor sucking in air. (declarative)
    I think he just broke the window! (exclamatory)
    Why is the teacher yelling? (interrogative)

16. kkrosesmom

kkrosesmom Rookie

Jan 3, 2008

I think it depends on the kind of students you have, but I always jump right in! First I review the expectations of the class and do goal setting, but then it is business as usual!

17. MsMaggs

MsMaggs Comrade

Jan 13, 2008

I hope everyone's first week back went well! Mine went great! The kids were really well behaved this week. The break was extremely needed! This is my first year teaching as well, so I wasn't exactly sure what to expect when they came back or how we would get back into classwork, but we did great! A quick sharing time of what we did over break, then a review of expectations, and we were back to business as usual! I hope all of you had a successful week as well!

Last edited: Jan 13, 2008
  18. noreenk

noreenk Cohort

Jan 13, 2008

We started off the first day back with a big talk about what lies ahead (STATE ASSESSMENTS!) and how much we've worked. Before they left for vacation, they charted their progress from beginning of the year to middle of the year (we administer benchmark exams) and had to have their parents sign the chart. In math, we did a group review of all major fall concepts before they did a series of review problems. The next day, we moved on, warming up with another concept review. In science and language arts, we started with new stuff and will be doing Jeopardy tomorrow that reviews old stuff as well as some of the things we did last week. Unfortunately in my school, the spring semester means serious test practice begins. Not so fun to return to :(

19. Loomistrout

Loomistrout Devotee

Jan 14, 2008

Kids will test the teacher after a break, holiday, conference week, work day etc. They have to make sure you are the same person as the one when they left. You can always assume this won't happen not review structure and take your chances. Then again assuming is the mother of all screw-ups.

Consider reviewing rules and routines. This is not so much to teach kids anything new -- they already know them. It's a statement about what's important to you -- this they read. If teacher spends no time on R&Rs they must not be that important. Don't expect them to be that important to the kids either.