Retirement Gift

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Myrisophilist, Jun 8, 2011.

1. Myrisophilist

Myrisophilist Habitué

Jun 8, 2011

Hi there, I was recently approached by one of my dad's colleagues about ideas for a retirement gift for him. He's completing his final year as a high school social studies teacher and has also been a guidance counselor and worked in admin. His colleague said they'd have at least $50 to spend, and they are also getting him a restaurant gift certificate. Physical issues restrain him from doing anything active, and we live in a rural area. I've been scratching my head about what to suggest. Any ideas? Thanks!!

3. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Jun 8, 2011

What does he like to do? If he likes to read, he can use Barnes and Noble or Amazon gift certificates on-line.

4. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Jun 8, 2011

What do you think he will be doing during retirement - home improvement, gardening, reading, travelling, etc... Whatever the answer is, there is an appropriate gift card.

I also think a time piece (watch, clock) is always an appropriate, classic, retirement gift.

5. Myrisophilist

Myrisophilist Habitué

Jun 8, 2011

Thanks for the ideas...I just think the faculty is probably looking for something more personal than a gift card. He does like to read, he's a Yankees fan, he likes computer gadgets...

6. atomic

atomic Companion

7. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Jun 9, 2011

Is there perhaps a Yankees magazine and the friends could buy a subscription for him? There are also several excellent history magazines to subcribe to like American Heritage.

Congrats to your dad on his retirement ~ I hope he enjoys every day :)

8. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

9. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 10, 2011

I don't suppose they could get him a pair of tickets to a game over the summer? I'm guessing they want something more personal.

I bet there are some great books out there about the Yankee greats. (Sorry, this is a house of Mets fans; there are no paticular ones I can recommend.) Or a bio of Steinbrenner, or a book on the infamous Billy Martin/ Steinbrenner feuds. A book on sayings by Yogi Berra (one of my favorites!!!)

10. Myrisophilist

Myrisophilist Habitué

Jun 10, 2011

Thanks everyone for the ideas. :) And Aliceacc, the Mets are ok...just as long as you aren't a Red Sox fan...

11. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 11, 2011

No, I'm not an anti-Yankee fan.

(Though Bill Buckner will always have a special place in my heart :p )