Retired or almost retired teachers

Discussion in 'General Education' started by nstructor, Jul 16, 2022.

1. nstructor

nstructor Cohort

Jul 16, 2022

What caused you to retire? Did you come back to education? If so was it easier or harder? Why did you come back? Thanks so much! I'm almost there and am having a really difficult time!

3. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Jul 18, 2022

I retired in December 2021, and my husband retired in May 2021. The increasing amounts of non-teaching crap combined with the added stress of remote teaching due to covid was more than I wanted to deal with. We decided to leave with 27 service years. We did lose money by choosing to retire then instead of at age 55, but it is worth it. We worked hard at making sure to get finances all settled before making the final decision.

we both loved the teaching and the kids, but not so much the rest. No regrets. Neither of us has any plans to return to education. In fact, neither of us has any plans to work anywhere. We are enjoying travel and hobbies. We do a bit of volunteer work. That’s it.

nstructor likes this.
  4. CindyBlue

CindyBlue Cohort

Jul 20, 2022

My hubby and I both I retired at the end of the 2018-2019 school year, after 41 years in the classroom. I loved teaching...or more accurately, I love teaching. And I'm good at it. But I love it as it used to be, when I had autonomy to do the job and didn't have so many entitled students and parents thinking that since they "pay my salary", they own me, with the admin increasingly backing them up. Those last few years were incredibly stressful, and I decided I'd just had enough.

The first year of retirement was spent taking care of my dad - he and his wife passed away in late 2020 and early 2021 - and then dealing with his estate. It was a rough couple of years but it kept me busy and I didn't have much time to think about not being in the classroom. Only in the spring of 2022 did I start to think "I'm retired - I can do whatever I want whenever I want to do it!"

I really miss the excitement of teaching, and planning effective lessons, and seeing my kids "get it" and succeed when they were sure the'd never be able to do it. And I miss my colleagues - wonderful people working so very hard. But that said, I love retirement. I love leisurely mornings - I still get up at about 5 AM (I'm just a morning person!) reading the paper or surfing the net, coffee in hand. I love being able to get chores done on the property without having to rush to get them done on Sundays (because I coached two seasons I rarely had Saturday time.) I love sitting out back with hubby and reading, reading, reading in the afternoon after our property chores are done. I love not staying awake half the night on Sundays, anticipating the stress of Mondays.

My only advice - and take it or not as it works for you! - is to maybe try to keep busy for the first few months. Maybe find something to do to keep a routine for awhile (we volunteered at a food bank for the first year, to get us up and out of the house early in the morning.) You will find your way...just take it as it comes!

And...enjoy the "lasts"! The last dance you have to chaperone, the last faculty meeting, the last time you hand out that Chapter 4 test (smile!) The "lasts" made my last five months much more fun and relaxing!

I hope you let us know how you are doing!

readingrules12 and nstructor like this.
  5. nstructor

nstructor Cohort

Jul 21, 2022

6. nstructor

nstructor Cohort

Jul 21, 2022

I REALLY appreciate your advice! Thanks so much.

7. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Jul 22, 2022

I'm not close to retiring but I know someone who was retired (she was around 60 years old when I met her) and she started taking fun classes at out local college for people 55 and up. It kept her busy and sometimes they took trips, such as going to a museum. I think for a while I'd like to sit home and do "nothing" but after a while I'd want to get involved in some activities, clubs, etc.

nstructor likes this.