Retention of Student

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by gottagoodgig, May 19, 2010.

1. gottagoodgig

gottagoodgig Companion

May 19, 2010

Hey All,

I will be retaining a child in 1st grade this year...first one ever. I want to let him know of our decision in a very positive manner. His mom will be coming in on Friday to have a special lunch with him in the cafeteria and then we'll pull him aside and speak with him privately to let him know the news. What would you say?

Thanks for the advice....

3. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

May 19, 2010

I think you might find the child is not as upset as you feared. My youngest son repeated the first grade this year. He started the school year in 2nd grade and it just wasn't working. My sister and I sat him down and talked to him about it. We asked him how he felt in school, and asked him how he would feel about going back into first to get better at the concepts he was having so much trouble with. William actually breathed a sigh of relief, and I'm not talking figuratively either. He physically relaxed and asked several times if we were serious and told us that he would be so much happier and he wouldn't be so overwhelmed. He has really blossomed since then. He's much happier, and doing better in school.

Sometimes, kids just know. They're struggling and unhappy, but they feel the pressure the adults put on them. Some kids, including my son, just need the adults' persmission to take an extra year to learn the stuff, without feeling bad about it.

4. janlee

janlee Devotee

May 19, 2010

Personally, I would do it after school so the child does not have to come back into the classroom and face his classmates after being told. When I was faced with this situation the parents were the ones who did the explaining. They felt that the home environment was a better setting.

5. teach1st

teach1st Comrade

May 19, 2010

I retained my first student this year as well. He is in first grade. We talked in length with the parents and then we all talked to him.

MM is right, some kids just know. This child did the same thing. He was relieved. We asked him how he was feeling about it. He expressed he was nervous to do the work again. We asked why and he said "Will it be as hard as it was this year?" He was upset when he realized that the rest of the class would go on to 2nd grade. I guess he thought they would stay with him. We talked about the friends he already had in the other class and how he would still get to see his other friends. Once we cleared that up he was fine.