Reteaching math intervention

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by sanjacteacher, Mar 4, 2011.

1. sanjacteacher

sanjacteacher Rookie

Mar 4, 2011

I'm working with 4th and 5th grade students for a final push with math before state testing. I get them for an hour after school Monday through Thursday. I've been using lots of games, mainly some math card games I found at pepnonprofit, but need some advice on how to add more test prep materials. I hate the idea of teaching to the test, but I know test format exposure is important. Do I continue to use the math games and try to do a little bit of the test format stuff or should I ditch the games altogether and focus strictly on the format stuff? This group of kids have struggled all year long and a bit of defeat has gotten to some of them. I want to do what's best for these kids to find success. What do you think?

3. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Mar 4, 2011

I vote for more games (with plenty of "How do you/we know?") and a little bit of test format rather than the other way around.

"How do we know?" may be the single most important question in education. This is how we figure out why the answer we've got does or doesn't make sense.

You could go deep with test format rather than wide: work one or two representative questions to death - but emphasize that the skills involved aren't just for this test, because they're not.

4. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Mar 4, 2011

When I taught Title I, I took a dual approach. I used the test prep materials, but took the problems and made games of them, did all the "how do we know" stuff that TG talked about. It worked fairly well, though I was teaching 7th and 8th graders, so it might be different.

5. sanjacteacher

sanjacteacher Rookie

Mar 5, 2011

Thanks for your responses.....I feel like I'm on the right track, especially after reading your posts. I'd still like to hear what others think or suggest as far as games to use.

6. tnv

tnv Rookie

Mar 7, 2011

I agree that math games are great for struggling students. Getting them involved is almost as important as the skill itself. I love anything Marilyn Burns. Martin Gardener has some amazing books too. Pepnonprofit has a lot of great math games, which it sounds like you're using some of those. Math is fun is another website that has some great resources.

Keep up with the games, because it sounds like you're giving your kids a great opportunity.

tnv