Retaliation

Discussion in 'General Education' started by REW, Sep 7, 2021.

1. REW

REW Rookie

Sep 7, 2021

The situation I spoke about last week has escalated. I tried to be kind and repair the relationship. It didn’t work. Even though I don’t think I could have said or done anything differently.

Back story: I have zero autonomy in my class. I must do everything the team lead says in exactly the way she does it. I must organize my materials exactly the way she does for students. I inquired about a few activities as to the purpose of them. It was right words. I didn’t realize what I big deal it would become. Apparently I may have hit a big culture trigger. But I digress. It’s ok for her to say some nasty things to me. The fact is, if I had met her during the interview I wouldn’t have taken the job.

now I’m anticipating retaliation. I’ve been told to expect it. I even read up on some cultural norms and it is a thing in her culture. Saying “no” in that culture isn’t even OK to say. So I’m just at a loss. I’ve been in the field a LONG time. I am not a newbie by an stretch of the imagination. Just new to the school. I’ve heard she has a clique of mean girls - both with the power to mess up my evaluations for licensure. I really honestly don’t feel safe or comfortable anymore. I feel terrible if it’s a cultural thing and I offended her, but at the same time this is the culture I have grown up with and I am tired. I
    As horrible as it sounds, I am tired of being understanding. I just want to autonomy in my classroom to set up materials how I see fit or choose center activities or a craft that engages my students.

has anyone dealt with retaliation before?

3. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Sep 7, 2021

FIle a complaint/grievance with HR. Is she in the room with you all of the time?

4. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Enthusiast

Sep 7, 2021

I am in no way defending her behavior in any way shape or form but....... could it be she has been told that everyone has to be on the same page? Here is my situation minus the culture part of it. I have been teaching in this district for 13 years. I have been told by MANY that I am a great teacher. I have data to back it up. My kids ( I have taught kinder/1st ) go on to be very successful academically, even some of those with issues have gone on to be successful. I am not saying I am the best teacher ever but I can hold my own. Anyway this year our new super realigned the campuses. New principal, new staff, new just about everything. We have new rules to follow. We now ALL have to be doing the same thing. I ABSOLUTELY hate it. I have NO autonomy in my classroom. The kicker here is that if the lead teachers and others above me find out and they don't "tattle" on anyone not doing the same they are just as guilty. It is literally sucking the life out of my teaching. The reason I tell you this is maybe that is what is going on??? Anyway I would find out the real reason for the ugliness, rudeness, down right bitchiness is come from???? Sorry you are going though all that. Take it from this will be the longest school year EVER!!!!!

5. REW

REW Rookie

Sep 8, 2021

I am documenting. She isn’t in the room with me. So part of me is ask forgiveness rather than permission.

SpecialPreskoo likes this.
  6. REW

REW Rookie

Sep 8, 2021

That sounds very similar. There was an issue where things weren’t the same and parents flipped. The parent flipped her snowflake didn’t get the stupid craft like her friend’s child. So now everything has to be identical. So I’m kinda like how can I respect that while still having some of “me.” My old team we had differences, we had a rocky start, but in the end we joked about it. I hope that’s the case. But we had to find respect for each other. We both had to have some give.

7. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Enthusiast

Sep 8, 2021

What if we arent crafty people????? I am not a crafty kind of person. I don't them in my home and I certainly don't do them in my class. The "fun" things I do do are mostly tied to academics. But they are still fun. I am trying to be a good team mate, but it's hard. I was the rebellious one from our original team and it has always served me well. My past principals loved my classes and I have not gotten a bad observation since my 2nd year at my old school and they were just trying to get rid of me anyway. I am now 13 years into absolutely glowing observations. Anyway it's tough, Im trying, it may force me to move onto a district where I am not as micromanaged.

Tired Teacher likes this.
  8. MrTempest

MrTempest Comrade

Sep 14, 2021

I have dealt with retaliation. A few years ago, I was at a school with a few different programs. The department, myself included, was predominantly white, the rest of the faculty was black. One week the school was particularly understaffed and towards the end of the week, I asked someone from another department where everyone was. She informed me that all the department heads and admin went on some education-based trip to another state. I was dumbfounded for a few reasons. One, it seemed apparent that effort was made to keep our department in the dark. And another, if all the department heads were to go, why did our guy not go, let alone know about the trip. This teacher seemed perplexed I did not know about the trip and then asked if I was aware of a trip coming up that following summer to Florida. To that, I was again shocked and made the off-the-cuff statement, “Well that is just racist.” Anyway, that weekend the P heard about my comments, send an email to HR on Sunday that she was planning on non-renewing me, and then let me know Monday.

After speaking to an attorney, who said nothing could be done until I was technically fired, did recommend I make a complaint with the EEOC. He also helped me compose a message to HR citing violations and what not. I met with HR who concluded that the P had screwed up a lot and it was retaliation. Especially since she messaged HR prior to hearing my side and that it was a response to an allegation of racism. HR gave me a contract and moved me to another school.

Tired Teacher likes this.