Retained Student with Behavior Issues

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by cmorris, Aug 10, 2006.

1. cmorris

cmorris Comrade

Aug 10, 2006

I am going to have a student that is repeating. He has some behavioral issues--he was moved between several teachers last year only for that reason. I don't know yet exactly what his behavior problems are. He did like me last year, which is probably why he is going to be in my class.

Advice please! I had my own problem students, but I've been told he is *much* worse than what I had. I need encouragement!!!

3. teacherece

teacherece Cohort

Aug 10, 2006

Turn his behavior into a positive...reinforcement that is. Does he/she have ADHD?

4. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Aug 10, 2006

Kids are different with other teachers. You'll bring out the best in him! He already knows you like him and so maybe that knocks down some walls he would have entered with...

5. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 11, 2006

Having a previous positive relationship will go a long way--I've been in your situation! Be firm, consistent and fair; build on the positives. Very often the reputation of kids with behaviour difficulties sets them up to fail--"Oh no, you have Johnny in your class next year! You'll have to send him to the office almost every day--don't put up with anything from him!"--build your own relationship.

6. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 11, 2006

That's so true!!! Work on the positive reinforcement right away! I bet you're surprised at how happy he is have a teacher who doesn't have a negative impression of him from day one!

7. Julie

Julie Rookie

Aug 11, 2006

it's good he already likes you, that will help. Maybe MAYBE some of his behavior problems come from being low academically and he is compinsating (sp?) for not being able to do the work that is required. Just a thought! Good luck and be positive.

8. luvs2shop

luvs2shop Rookie

Aug 11, 2006

Most of the times the kids act out for a reason, like he does not get enough attention at home or issues with other kids. Maybe some of the other teachers brought out the bad behavior in him. What I mean is maybe they don't understand him like you would. You say he likes you and that will for sure help. Getting the kid to trust in you, to know that you are there to help him not to judge him, that I think will definitley help some. I am not saying put him above other students, by no means. What I am trying to say is don't treat him like the student with the behavior issues, treat him the same as you would the other kids. You will do fine.

9. cmorris

cmorris Comrade

Aug 11, 2006

I have personally never had an issue with him. If there was a conflict with another student at recess or in the hall, he would ALWAYS do what I asked. He has always been very polite to me, and said he wanted to be in my class. I guess this is his chance! I had a sneaking feeling last year he would be in my class, so I had already started developing some rapport with him.

As far as I know, there is no ADHD or other disorder. I try not to listen to the other teachers about such things, but it is also hard not to worry! My guess is he doesn't have any friends, but I'm not sure how to remedy that. And having to repeat, I'm not sure how my younger students will react. I'm praying for lots of guidance!!

10. teacher333

teacher333 Devotee

Aug 11, 2006

How about a behavior contact that you and he draft together, being sure to list acceptable/unacceptable behavior as well as consequences? He will have ownership in making this contract and might be prone to follow it. Have parents come in and all of you sign it, reviewing each part of it (it does not have to be complicated - I am sure your Child Study Team can lend some help with tailoring it for him). Have him work for rewards of increasing responsibility that he can handle. (Was he retained just due to his behavior problem??)

11. cmorris

cmorris Comrade

Aug 11, 2006

School hasn't started yet, so I don't have his permanent record. I'm not sure why he was retained. I know he was not in any resource classes, but I never heard about any academic difficulties. My school has very strict retention guidelines, so it had to be major academics (language arts/math).

If the rapport and positive interactions don't help, I'll definately do a behavior contract. Again, the previous teachers were very vague about his behavior, just that he was worse than the two I had put together (not sure how that can be!). I'm hoping that since he likes me and I do like him, that will help tremendously. Plus, he has had the summer to mature.

I guess I'm worried because it is different seeing a child around, and having him in your class! I've never had a student repeat my grade level before, so I'm not sure on the best way to make it interesting to him. We will have the same content, so he has had it before. And then, my younger students might not want to play with him, making him feel alienated. I just fear that all of this might make it very stressful for him, and thus, he might act out with a vengence.

I am definately hoping for the best, but preparing for the worst.