Resumes...How to stand out and what else?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by jayteeree, Aug 15, 2007.

1. jayteeree

jayteeree New Member

Aug 15, 2007

I've been diligently applying to postings for five school districts this summer. Last April, the principal of my children's school informed me that she had a stack of resumes seven inches tall. It seems that there are sooo many more teachers than positions in the area where I live. If I don't get hired prior to school starting, what other positions might be available throughout the year that would be a big plus on my resume for next year? I don't have any prior teaching experience and I am eager and excited to be a teacher. I would love to find a way to better express my skills so I can be at the top of the list. Thanks for any info that you might provide.

3. Ms.T

Ms.T Comrade

Aug 15, 2007

Don't give up hope! There is still time to get a job. Personally deliver your resume to all schools you are interested in. Dress up and drop them off to the secretary (most schools have a secretary working in Aug.). Be extremely kind to the secretary.

Long term subbing/teachers going on maternity leave often comes up during the school year. Or you could take a teacher's assistant position.

Good luck!

4. mcangel

mcangel Rookie

Aug 15, 2007

Good advice, Ms. T! I would also put my resume on a color that is not white but not extreme. Use a cream color or off white, light grey, etc. so that your resume can literally stand out (anything like pink or yellow is too much). I know of another fellow teacher that paper clipped her picture to her resume...smart way to help employers remember the face and name.

When you get interviews, of course do research about the school (are they big into technology, field trips, integration, etc) and share how you would be an asset to building that community.

Best wishes!

5. mincc

mincc Companion

Aug 15, 2007

It sounds like you are in a saturated teacher's market. :( That is how it is here. 5 districts may not be enough! Are there more that are within a "doable" driving distance?

I just got my first teaching job. It took a LONG time. I sent out many resumes to many districts. I went with a 45 minute radius. I only heard from a handful. From talking to people and visiting job fairs, I realized how flooded the market is here. I consider myself INCREDIBLY lucky that I was given this chance. They received so many resumes. All of my interviewers had-ranging from 150-650 resumes (that was for 2 openings).

My advice is, of course, to send as far as you can drive. Make sure your cover letter and resume are perfect. I had 4 people proof and edit mine. I used a very subtle grey paper. I always mailed my resumes in a large envelope, unless the school required a different method.

You can get on the sub list for these districts. Maybe you can see about being a teacher's aide/para. I did that for 2 years and I found it to be a great benefit for me personally. I got crucial experience with special ed students. Some people prefer subbing, others think a TA is a good choice. The problem with being a TA is that some admins do not see it as a lot of experience because they think you do nothing but file and copy all day. :mad: Yes, I know TAs that do that, but I know others who do WAY more than that. I was very involved in the classroom because my teacher allowed that. We made a great team. I made sure to emphasize that on my interviews!

Good luck to you. It is very frustrating, I know.

6. jaruby

jaruby Companion

Aug 15, 2007

I have a few tips for you... (some have already been used but are worth saying again)

1st... I used to be a manager and here are a few things I liked to see in a resume... Hand deliver it! I dont think I ever hired anyone that emailed/sent me their stuff over someone that hand delivered it. Make sure your references are people that will ANSWER their phone and will FREELY TALK FAVORABLE about you.

2nd... In addition to my teaching degree I have a Graphic Design degree... so on esthetics. Make sure your name is at least 30 font (I usually used 36) and on the top of the first page and have ALL of your information right under it. Use a nice font (I usually used Garamond.) ALWAYS use a nice resume paper NEVER WHITE (I usually used a grey marble) Find out if the district wants cover letters, or/and and intro letter.

3rd... (I got hired in Michigan in a district were I have no connections this is what the superintendent told me got me hired) #1 #1 #1 etc... If you have technical skills MAKE SURE it is clearly on the resume somewhere degrees, hobbies, skills etc... somehow get that info in there. Education is going to become a very technical field soon. MAKE SURE the district knows you are not afraid of this change and looking forward to it!!!!

A little addition advise if you get to an interview.

7. Cece57

Cece57 Rookie

Aug 15, 2007

Hand Delivery

In our market almost every school district is asking applicants to complete applications on-line and/or mail them to board of ed addresses... wouldn't a hand delivered packet be lost or misdirected?

8. Doublescoop

Doublescoop Companion

Aug 15, 2007

Everybody has a resume as the 7 inch pile attests and it's really not what gets you the job anyways. When I applied for my current position, 350 other qualified applicants applied. What made the difference for me is that I researched my position and made a cover letter explaining how I best fit what they were looking for. Most of all, however, I was PERSISTENT, and came in a few times just to express my sincere interest again. My principal told me it was that persistance that made them remember me and eventually hire me!

9. jaruby

jaruby Companion

Aug 15, 2007

Send in the online application/resume AND hand deliver one. It might be lost but it also might be the only one on the principals desk :2up:

10. Cece57

Cece57 Rookie

Aug 15, 2007

good point! Thanks.