Resume

Discussion in 'New Teachers Archives' started by LATechTeacher, May 14, 2006.

1. LATechTeacher

LATechTeacher Companion

May 14, 2006

I am getting reading to finish up my student teaching (three more days), and I am going to start sending out my resumes. A friend mentioned that my resume should only be one page, is this right? Just thought I should get a second opinion. Thanks.

3. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

May 14, 2006

I have gotten mixed opinions on this. But, my best sources have said it is best to keep them to one page (but, someone who made more sense to me said to take as much space as you need to really give all the important facts about yourself). Back to the one page, a separate reference page provided with the resume is acceptable, or just say available upon request, and only give it upon request!
    Sorry if this didn't help much...

4. Malcolm

Malcolm Enthusiast

May 14, 2006

One page is the standard. If you have been working for 30 years like me, it is not possible. But I can get all my experience on one page. Education, certifications and other qualifications go on a second page. In any case, the idea is to keep it short so the busy reader will actually read it. Just hit the high points. You'll have plenty of time to expand on it in the interview. As for references, no need to include anything about them on a resume. Of course they are available on request. And there is usually a place for them on the district application. Nobody is likely to check them until they decide to offer you a job. It is just too much work.

5. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

May 15, 2006

I agree. For someone just finishing student teaching, one page should be enough. They're looking for the highlights-- not each detail of what student teaching entails, and so on.

But do included anything which is likely to set you apart from the pack-- any sport or activity or real life experience which is apart from the norm.

I'm pretty much convinced that I got my first math teaching job not because of my wonderful teaching skills or my ability with proofs (how could they know w/o seeing me teach??) but because of my high school work with Speech & Debate-- I went to State & National finals. They needed a coach-- and a math teacher.

6. AZKinderTchr

AZKinderTchr Comrade

May 15, 2006

My resume is 2 pages and includes my references. It is longer because I re-careered and chose to keep my non-teaching experience listed. I agree with the prior post that you should show what sets you apart. I often get comments about why I re-careered and principals seem to like that I really made the choice to teach even though it's lower pay and lower overall salary potential. It often opens up a great conversation.

7. Sarah5483

Sarah5483 Companion

May 15, 2006

i am only a first year teacher and mine has my objective (short), certifications, education and related experience on one page, then the second page has my volunteer experience and 5 references. i think 2 pages is pretty standard these days since people recommend including your references rather than putting "references available upon request" at the end.