Resume Writing Service

Discussion in 'Job Hunting & Interviews' started by teach123, Apr 7, 2006.

1. teach123

teach123 Cohort

Apr 7, 2006

Have any of you used a resume writing service. If so, which one and is it worth the money you put into it?

3. Malcolm

Malcolm Enthusiast

Apr 7, 2006

IMHO resume writing services are not a good idea. There is no guarantee that they will produce a better one than you will. It is possible they will produce a worse one. You are better off getting a book on writing resumes and writing your own. There really isn't a whole lot to it. And it is a skill you will probably have use for in the future.

4. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Apr 7, 2006

How much does the service cost?

5. teach123

teach123 Cohort

Apr 7, 2006

The one I spoke with wanted $300.

6. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Apr 7, 2006

WOW! I definitely wouldn't pay that much money for a company to write my resume. It's really not a difficult thing to do on your own once you've seen a few examples and decided how you want to set it up.

7. love2teach

love2teach Enthusiast

Apr 7, 2006

I used one ...and it was worth every penny! It was not a company, just someone that works from her house. I spent abt an 1h on the phone w her and from that "interview" she was able to put a resume and cover letter together. This person also copied and personalized each letter for each district in my area. All I had to do was sign, stuff, stamp and mail. I also had the resume emailed to me so that I would have a copy to e mail to schools and change as needed. I know that I coud have done it on my own, but it was so nice to not stress over finding all of the addressed and names for each school and not going to staples to make copies etc...
    money well spent!

8. teach123

teach123 Cohort

Apr 8, 2006

Do you mind sharing how much you had to pay?

9. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Apr 10, 2006

Wow! That's a lot of money. I did my own, and had several people proof read it for me.

10. love2teach

love2teach Enthusiast

Apr 10, 2006

I don't remember exactly how much I paid....close to 200...it was a splurge for sure...I saved up for quite a while....a few bucks here and there until I had it all...
    The real bonus was that she did all of the work, copies, addresses, etc....it was a real time saver !

11. goras

goras New Member

Jul 23, 2006

Nobody can write your resume better than you. Check out www getresume com they are giving away for free eBook on resume writing

12. teach123

teach123 Cohort

Jul 23, 2006

Thanks for the info. I certainly will send for it.

13. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Jul 23, 2006

I used the microsoft word resume writing thing. All the principals that have called me have completed how nicely it was set up.
    I did shrink my name down on the top.

14. WITeach

WITeach Cohort

Jul 23, 2006

I would not pay for someone else to do my resume. Honestly, it surprises me that one would pay $300 for one. Hmm...maybe I can start a resume business in my spare time to make some extra money. ;)

You may be able to go to your career services at your college and have someone help you with it there for free. I took an interview type class at my college and they helped proof our resumes.

15. JustWondering

JustWondering Companion

Jul 23, 2006

I used the career services at the university I graduated from. A lot of schools have them for current and alumni. Meaning you are currently paying either tuition or alumni dues. They did a great job helping me fill in some of the blanks and choose a format.

16. Exclaimation Po

Exclaimation Po Habitué

Jul 24, 2006

I also suggest the career center at your university.

I feel really lucky that in my credential program we had to write resumes and cover letters that were critiqued by a professor. At the time it sure seemed like a pain in the behind, but now I have an education only resume that I really like. However, the cover letter they made us write is obtuse and overly wordy. I recently re-worded it using suggestions from the cover letter thread. I like it a lot now and just sent 14 out to middle schools in my area.