Resume vs. CV

Discussion in 'General Education' started by bandnerdtx, Sep 29, 2009.

1. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Sep 29, 2009

I'm going to a job fair in the next month for adjunct professors for the local community college.

I've prepared a resume, but I know that the current trend is to make a CV. What I would like to know is what is the real difference between them, and which do you think employers prefer?

Thanks for your input!

3. rachaelski

rachaelski Habitué

Sep 29, 2009

Simply, a resume is more concise. A CV includes professional development, research presentation, grants and scholarships. A CV is expected to be multiple pages, whereas a resume is usually kept to 1 page.

4. Kat53

Kat53 Devotee

Sep 29, 2009

Ditto to what rachaelski said. A CV is usually geared toward the college setting, and includes the above mentioned, plus published worked. You can google 'Curriculum Vitae' to get more precise information to see how you can format your current resume to be a CV, but you will probably be fine with a well-written resume. (Mine is 2 pages)

5. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Sep 29, 2009

I'm applying to grad schools and they require a CV. After building on the resume I had professionally created years ago, it'll be tough for me to change formats. Thankfully my public library has resume software that could help me redo it. Does your local library have that capacity?