Resume Revising Service?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Ms. I, Aug 21, 2014.

1. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Aug 21, 2014

Does anyone know of a good (cover letter &) resume revising service for a reasonable charge? I've never had it done in my life, never really had anyone critique it, & I've been doing fine getting jobs all along, but it doesn't hurt to see how someone else would do mine. I personally think mine's good, but I'm not so proud that I think it's perfect. (This is NOT pertaining to getting a teaching job.)

Any suggestions?

3. i8myhomework

i8myhomework Comrade

Aug 21, 2014

This might seem like a weird suggestion but have you looked on Etsy? I have seen resume templates for sale as well as resume/cover letter writing services.

4. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Aug 21, 2014

If you google it, you will find a lot of them. The prices are similar. I have used them, and so has my son. The best of them will revise until you are satisfied - to me that was huge. For my son, right out of school, there was a price break for new grads. I HATE writing resumes and things change over the years, so I fell it was money well spent. I am older, so less time to mess around with it, possibly getting it wrong. If you are getting the jobs you want, why bother?

5. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Aug 21, 2014

Well, like I said above, no matter how good one may think their resume is, it doesn't hurt to see. :) And how do I know I won't get even better results after I have it revised by a pro. There's no rush on my doing this, I'm just wondering.

Any other comments?

6. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Aug 22, 2014

Which service did you use?

7. bros

bros Phenom

Aug 22, 2014

Quality might vary, but I remember google launched a service a few months back called Google Helpout. Basically, there are people who offer their services for free and paid - I noticed they advertised some individuals offering their resume services, some for free, some for $30 for a 45 minute period, others for $0.15 a minute.

8. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Aug 22, 2014

Resumewriters.Com. I have used them twice for myself, as well as for my son. For the second revision for myself, I was having trouble with the first person who was assigned to work with me - not happy with the work. I contacted and explained the problem, and voila, new writer who was wonderful, as was the resume. I will be updating my resume to show that I finished my masters and added a couple of endorsements, and I will use them once again. :cool:

9. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Aug 22, 2014

Thanks for posting this!

10. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 22, 2014

Ms. I, does the school you are doing your Master's through offer this service? I know that both my kids are able to get resume/cover letter counselling at their universities.

11. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Aug 22, 2014

Just curious, have you seen some of the stuff they send out through the counseling? My son had sent out a ton of resumes before I saw what they approved and it was hideous and poor. No interviews. New resume, much more professional, yielded several interviews in only a few applications. 1. I couldn't believe I didn't think to look at what they had approved before the mass mailings. 2. I still can't believe that they would sign off on the efforts and call it good enough. Be very wary and look into what you are getting. :2cents:

12. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 22, 2014

Yes, I saw the excellent resume that my son put together with the assistance from the Career Services Department. Regardless of where the service is coming from, the consumer needs to be involved. I was only offering advice of another place to investigate.

13. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Aug 23, 2014

I agree, be part of the process. My son was too trusting, and he didn't know better - then. I am happy that your son was able to craft a much better product. The correct resume has to come from truth, and then be modified enough to meet current trends, to some degree. Styles, trends, buzz words change, but the truth of who you are and what you have accomplished should shine through.

14. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Aug 23, 2014

Thanks, I never really thought about it, but I may check eventually.

Man, that's too bad! His school probably had undergrads doing it as a part of some so-called "writing class" coursework, so they just slapped anything together.

15. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Aug 23, 2014

I believe you nailed it on the head. I still get riled when I think of the disservice they did my son, at the very least, and probably many others as well. I blame my son for being so independent that he wouldn't run it by someone he trusted before using it. Water under the bridge! :unsure:

16. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Aug 24, 2014

On another discussion board I belong to, this one lady revises resumes & she had a promo price going on, so after PMing another poster who had her resume done by this lady with good results, I contacted the lady. She was supposed to send me a bill because I told her let's go for it. I NEVER EVER heard back from her since 7/29. I since emailed her 2x & even left a voice message, but she never replied, so I gave up. If that's how she treats her customers & does business, I dodged a bullet with her. Just think if I had actually paid her already!

17. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 24, 2014

Ms I you seem to find a job every time you are seeking one. I'm sure your resume s fine but if you'd like, you can pst here...there are many job seekers who have benefitted from the FREE resume and cover letter advice on the forums !:2cents: