Resume Questions

Discussion in 'Job Hunting & Interviews' started by kcbutterfly, Apr 10, 2006.

1. kcbutterfly

kcbutterfly Companion

Apr 10, 2006

I just passed the Praxis II (Hooray! :D), and I will be applying for a full-time teaching position on a provisional certificate (My degree is in Psyc. not Education). What is the best way to list the Praxis II on my resume? Should I list scores or not? Also, people on another message board are telling me that it's considered "bragging" to list academic honors and accomplishments. Is that true? Is it best to have an objective and summary at the top of your resume or not? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. :)

3. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Apr 10, 2006

On my resume before I officially had my teaching license in my hand I wrote "Passed:" and then listed the state tests I have taken to qualify me to be licensed. I didn't list my scores and once I had my license in-hand I took that off of my resume because having my license automatically means that I have passed those tests. As far as the honors, I have an "Honors" section on my resume where I list that I was a deans list student (gpa of 3.0 or higher) from the Fall of 2002 until the Spring of 2005. I don't think there's anything wrong with listing things like that....although they will see those types of things on your transcripts anyway. Lastly, the objective. I don't have an objective on my resume because my degree and area of licensure (not to mention my cover letter) make it pretty clear that I'm looking for an elementary-level teaching position. If you do decide to use an objective, though, make it short and sweet. For example, "Objective: To obtain an elementary-level teaching position."

4. TexasAggie2323

TexasAggie2323 Comrade

Apr 10, 2006

It is not bragging to list your honors. You are trying to sell yourself to the school district so please do your best to impress them.
    I also agree with Beth. The objective should be short and to the point so that they know what you are looking for

As far as listing tests. I only put the test and the date that I passed the test.
    If they want to know the score they can look it up on the state website or when I go in for my interview I will have it in my portfolio.

5. kermy

kermy Companion

Apr 11, 2006

would anyone be kind enough to look at my resume, if you have time?

6. kcbutterfly

kcbutterfly Companion

Apr 11, 2006

Hi kermy. I would be willing to look at your resume. Although I probably wouldn't be much help, because I have questions about mine too. You can email it to knconw7974@ngcsu.edu if you want me to look at it though.

Woops - I didn't realize that we couldn't post our email address. I sent you a personal message kermy.

7. laf

laf Rookie

Apr 12, 2006

I too have a degree in Psych and am looking for a teaching job using a provisional license. I did not bother to list the test on my resume as the provisional license cannot be issued unless the Praxis II has been passed. It would be redundant. I do have copies of my scores, however, should they be requested.

8. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Apr 12, 2006

I did not put my Praxis scores on my resume. However, I did have the score sheet in my portfolio.