resume question - same job / different roles and locations

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Linguist92021, Jan 7, 2024.

1. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Jan 7, 2024

Hi everyone,

Happy New Year!

I haven't been here for a while but I used to be very active here.
    I have a questions about how to list my job on a resume.

I have had the same job for almost 11 years (this is my first teaching job). and I love my job and the students, and I am getting paid very well, but I moved away (1 hour) and in the winter I have to drive across snowy / icy roads at times and it scares me too death. Last year I almost slid off the the mountain and I'm still traumatized. So I don't have to leave, but I want to start looking here locally.

My question is how to list my job on the resume.
    I got hired in 2013 as an English teacher at school A. Court school.
    In 2016 we moved to school B (merged with school B) and retained their name. School A no longer exists. Charter school with court school students included.
    In 2017 we came back to the first location but still called School B, so far I had the same role.
    In 2018, my job changed to independent study teacher, same location, same school.
    Since 2019 I have been the ELD teacher at the school in additional to being an independent student teacher and this role has been more and more prominent (so much that it earned me the title of Distinguished Teacher of the year, last year)

How do I put this on my resume? Do I list each change or just when my role changed?
    In the region I'll be looking for jobs ELD won't be really needed, there's not much diversity here.

My principal and his supervisor will write me a letter of recommendation and I feel fairly confident in my interview skills, but I haven't written a resume or cover letter in 12 years.

Thank you for suggestions / advice.

3. viola_x_wittrockiana

viola_x_wittrockiana Cohort

Jan 7, 2024

What makes the most sense to me is to do one bolded/italicized/not indented/larger font line with just the employer (current name, not original), then do separate indented or smaller font sublistings for each substantively different position. That's what I have on mine for the company I did/do project work for. Some projects were managerial work, some not. So as not to misrepresent my experience, I have both types and the dates sublisted under one employer heading.

Linguist92021 likes this.
  4. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jan 8, 2024

First of all, WELCOME BACK!!!
    I agree with what Viola is suggesting. My last charter school closed as well, but since yours was merged into another, that should make things less confusing.

pommom and Linguist92021 like this.
  5. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Jan 8, 2024

Thank you so much! That makes sense. Technically the employer is the county office of education, so I can list that and then each school / position like you suggested.

YoungTeacherGuy likes this.
  6. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Apr 13, 2024 at 6:02 PM

Just wanted to come back and share the news: I got the job!
    I did resume in a way that it listed each school / position bit made it clear that the school moved, merged, etc. I guess it was clear. Teachers at my school helped me get started because I just couldn't think what to put down and then they helped proofread. The same thing with the cover letter.
    Between the time I applied, got the call, went to the interview and got the call with the job offer (and I accepted), it was 10 days only.
    I think I did really well on the interview (I was told that later), I wasn't even nervous. It's so easy when you have things to talk about because you have the experience.

I am so excited. It is alternative ed, which is what I love and the only thing I have been doing, and if things work out, I'll be making the same $. (still in the works). If not, it is a considerable paycut, but it's the same amount I made 3 years ago when I got approved for my home loan and now I don't have to spend $5000 a year for commuting 2 hours a day.
    I let my bosses know every step of the way, even had to write a resignation letter so they can advertise for my replacement now. I had to email it to the superintendent, who replied right away and said very nice things. That was a nice surprise.

So I'm just so happy and excited right now already planning in my head how I'm gong to do things, because it will be a bit different from independent study, but not so different from everything I know, have done or seen :)