Resume question-Left job

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by kstar03, Jun 28, 2011.

1. kstar03

kstar03 Companion

Jun 28, 2011

Hi all,

I wanted to just run my personal situation by some of you to see what I should do/how to handle a tough situation.

I taught for two years at one district and started my third year in a new and completely different position/district. Worked for two months and decided to leave the district/position for personal and professional reasons and returned to my old position/school for the rest of the school year (luckily so I wasn't unemployeed the rest of the year!!!)

Now I'm looking for a job closer to home (the reason I left my original district before) and concerned of how to a). list this past year being in two districts/positions on my resume and b). how do I explain this when interviewing since it is such a hard thing to bounce back from and it is almost always a job interview killer!

Anyone else bounce back from leaving a position and then finding your dream job (feeling a bit jadded so any thought/experiences might lift up the spirits)?

Thank you in advance!

3. jwteacher

jwteacher Cohort

Jun 28, 2011

I don't know. Perhaps you could distort your work history so it covers up for those two months but not be a lie at the same time?

For example, you said you worked two consecutive years at the far away district, left for two months, and worked the rest of the school year at the far away district. Technically you worked at the far away district from 2008-2011, did you not? Maybe you should just omit the place you worked at for two months?

4. kstar03

kstar03 Companion

Jun 28, 2011

I was thinking of that just for the resume and then bringing it up at the interview since it may help me get in the door by not having it there, but I don't want to blindside them either. I'm thinking if I can get the in door I can explain myself and wow them with my experience and love for teaching... I just don't know :/

5. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jun 28, 2011

What would you say to 'explain yourself'?

6. comaba

comaba Cohort

Jun 28, 2011

If your state Dept. of Ed. is anything like mine, then your entire professional work history is accessible online to any administrator. If so, I think it would be a mistake to distort your work history on a resume or cover letter. I would be more inclined to list both schools for the year, rather than list one for 2 months and the other for the rest of the year.

7. MzQualified

MzQualified Comrade

Jun 28, 2011

If you play with the dates on your resume (since it was only 2 months), then I don't think there is anything to explain...

I wouldn't bring it up, but if they asked why you left district 1, just say because you wanted to be closer to home, point blank. This way you're not lying, but then you don't need to bring unncessary attention to the dates/situation either.

8. kstar03

kstar03 Companion

Jun 28, 2011

I mean go into greater detail as to the personal/professional reasons to the extremely early departure.

9. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Jun 28, 2011

I did it - switched jobs in the middle of the school year, hated the second position even more than the prior, and left for two years. Came back to teaching and landed a fantastic position.

When asked at the interview, all I said was that the prior school and I did not share the same philosophy of education.

I'm sure it did help, however, that both Ps gave me an excellent recommendation.

10. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 28, 2011

I would be very hesitant to distort anything. A lie, even a lie of omission, could still cost you the job.