Resume Profile Statement

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by TXowl, Mar 22, 2013.

1. TXowl

TXowl Companion

Mar 22, 2013

I have been trying to update my resume to make it stand out and came across Loft Resumes, a company that takes your resume info and formats it into a graphic design format. I really love some of the designs and am looking into it, but most of the resumes have a "profile" section. After quite a bit of googling, I found out that it is used instead of the objective and allows you to sum up your qualifications in short sentences or bullet points. I really like this idea, but wanted to get some opinions before shelling out the money on a new resume design.

Does my profile statement add that extra oomph to my resume? If not, what can I add to make it more personal. Is there something from the rest of my resume I should highlight in the profile?

I'm looking at moving to a high school SS position or an instructional coach position.

My resume:

Rice07Owl
    Contact Info

Passionate, dedicated teacher with three years experience across all subject areas. Committed to planning hands-on, creative learning experiences for students with diverse needs. Demonstrated ability to tailor instruction based on data analysis.

EDUCATION
    ABC University Master of Education in Curriculum and Instruction, May 2010
    XYZ University Bachelor of Arts in Political Science, May 2007

CERTIFICATIONS
    Texas Teacher Certification - Generalist EC-4 and 4-8, expires July 20XX
    Texas Teacher Certification - Social Studies Composite 8-12, expires July 20XX

TEACHING EXPERIENCE
    ABC Elementary - Hometown ISD Aug 2011 - Present
    Teacher
    2012-Present Fifth Grade Social Studies/Writing
    2011-2012 Third Grade Science/Writing
    - Created scope and sequence and all writing and social studies lessons for fifth grade team
    - Created and updated classroom and grade level website
    - Trained team members on technology integration and data analysis
    - Communicated with students, parents, and administrators in person, by phone, and by email
    - Sponsored Student Council- coordinated food/toy drive and Pennies for Patients

XYZ Elementary - Far Away ISD Sept 2010 - June 2011
    Teacher - 4th Grade Self-Contained
    - Integrated I.B. Primary Years Programme units with district curriculum
    - Planned instruction based on data analysis
    - Assisted in planning math lessons for the grade level, including use of manipulatives and technology
    - Implemented positive behavior plan that encouraged student responsibility
    - Planned instruction based on data analysis
    - Communicated with students, parents, and administrators in person, by phone, and by email

STUDENT TEACHING
    Another Elementary - Nearby ISD Jan 2010 - May 2010
    Student Teaching - Coop Teacher 1(1st grade) and Coop Teacher 2 (3rd grade)

VOLUNTEER EXPERIENCE
    Alumni Volunteers for Admission Aug 2010 - Present
    - Represent the XYZ University Admissions Office at college fairs
    - Conduct admission interviews for prospective students

SKILLS
    Technology: Document Camera, SMART Board, SMART Slates, Animoto, Glogster, Eduphoria (Forethought, AWARE), Edmodo, Google Apps (Drive, Sites)

Curriculum: History Alive!, Pearson Success Net, STEMscopes, Project GLAD, Project CRISS, Gifted & Talented (30 hours & annual update), DRA II, Units of Study, Six Traits of Writing, Reader’s and Writer’s Workshop, Differentiated Instruction

3. RobertTexasMath

RobertTexasMath Rookie

Mar 23, 2013

I like the profile statement. The one thing I would work on is the achievement statements under "Teaching Experience". I have a resume guide that I downloaded from the Education Department at DePaul University. They suggest the formula of "Action Verb + Example + Result". You have "Action Verb + Example"
    So maybe something like

- Communicated with students, parents, and administrators in person, by phone, and by email resulting in a stronger learning community
    That was just something quick. What was the purpose of the communication? Did you accomplish that purpose?