Resume Layout?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by gutterballjen, May 10, 2010.

1. gutterballjen

gutterballjen Comrade

May 10, 2010

I am starting to tweak the resume that I submitted for student teaching so it's geared toward getting my first teaching job. I stumbled upon this resume template , and really liked it. It made me wonder, is it okay to have color and/or pictures (within reason, of course) on your resume? When I worked in marketing, I used both, but education is a whole different ballgame.

Would a layout like that be seen as creative, or unprofessional?

3. emmakate218

emmakate218 Connoisseur

May 10, 2010

It's really different (to me atleast) and I think it would stand out. I've always heard adding graphics and quotes are a no-no, but with the current job market, you need to stand out! I'm sure there are some principals that would be turned-off, but I'm sure not too many.

4. ms.

ms. Comrade

May 11, 2010

I have an altered version of this as my resume. I didn't use this one - but I created one from scratch with similar aspects. I have some amazing comments from my supervisors/employers that I wanted to include. It's not for everyone, but I'm a creative and technology savvy person. Most of the jobs I apply for are online, so the schools already have my black and white basic resume information. Attaching a resume is something extra.

5. gutterballjen

gutterballjen Comrade

May 11, 2010

Me too. I plan on making several different versions of it (black and white, a text document, and a PDF with color) but I am a pretty creative person and have never liked the idea of my resume looking like everyone else's.

I would probably use this template as a springboard for my resume, so it's encouraging to see that you've gotten a positive response.

6. ms.

ms. Comrade

May 11, 2010

Well I had one interview last week, and I have another one this Friday. So it hasn't scared too many people away! :)

7. ms.

ms. Comrade

May 11, 2010

I know that some schools print the internet application (which is set up by the website in an almost resume like format: Education, Teaching Experience, etc.) Some just scan the internet application, I know that they can search for key terms or search by experience, education level and license. Some just stick with the resumes. I think it really depends on the school district. (I've picked up on some of this from the calls or emails I've received, also from the application website itself.)

I friend from college who's job was to weed-out resumes for the higher-ups to look at. I might ask for her input on this type of resume. :D

8. gutterballjen

gutterballjen Comrade

May 11, 2010

If you would do that, I would be forever grateful!

9. Cerek

Cerek Aficionado

May 11, 2010

That template is definitely an attention-grabber. I also like the comments from former supervisors and coworkers. My resume' is in need of an overhaul, I might give this format a try.

10. Unbeknownst

Unbeknownst Cohort

May 11, 2010

I think it does its job as an attention grabber.

However, the first thing I noticed is how I completely ignored the comments on the left-hand side. I acknowledged that it was there and that it was part of the resume, but it wasn't short enough for me to commit to reading it.

For whatever that's worth.

11. gutterballjen

gutterballjen Comrade

May 11, 2010

I felt the same way, and might not even put quotes in the side bar. I just liked that it grabbed my attention.