Resume/ Job Hunt Advice

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Sashawatch27, Jun 29, 2019.

1. Sashawatch27

Sashawatch27 Rookie

Jun 29, 2019

Hi all! I was wondering if anyone would be willing to look over my resume and/or cover letter. I have been on the job hunt since early June and applying everywhere it seems in districts near me. I want to find a new position/school closer to me since my commute is an hour now, and a closer position would also allow me to spend more time with my son. I had one interview at the beginning of June, and have not had anything since. I'm hoping that having my resume/cover letter looked at will help me see what my resume is missing since I feel that is part of it. If anyone is willing to look at my resume/cover letter for me, I would greatly appreciate it! Any other job hunting advice is also greatly appreciated! TIA!

3. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Connoisseur

Jul 13, 2019

I would be happy to help you out. Please PM me.

4. Sashawatch27

Sashawatch27 Rookie

Jul 13, 2019

Thanks! I found the message area, but can't find how to message you. Can you direct me?

5. Sashawatch27

Sashawatch27 Rookie

Jul 17, 2019

So I'm not able to message for some reason, however, this might be the next best bet. If you're still willing to look at my resume, I'll just post it without my personal information.

6. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Connoisseur

Jul 17, 2019

I wasn't able to message you either. I'm not sure why. Maybe a moderator can help?

7. Sashawatch27

Sashawatch27 Rookie

Jul 17, 2019

I think it's because I don't have enough posts to have messages yet? I did some looking around and it looked like there's a certain number of posts needed to message.

8. Sashawatch27

Sashawatch27 Rookie

Jul 17, 2019

I did put this through a free resume review from a professional website, and the reviewer said that I should move my certifications and education to be after my experience, which I'm not so sure about since I thought that was one of the first things a principal would look for.

Professional Summary ​

A diligent and highly qualified educator with 3+ years experience in both elementary and middle school classrooms, a passion for working with students of diverse academic and social backgrounds and an ability to collaborate with fellow educators, who is eager to provide all students with a solid, standards-based, and inclusive education. Equipped with a talent for building and maintaining a positive rapport with both staff and students.

Key Skills ​

Elementary Education | Middle School Education | 1:1 Technology Integration | Standards-Based Instruction | Differentiated Instruction | ESL Endorsement | Social Studies | Language Arts | General Science | Classroom Management | IEW Training | Unit | Google Classroom | Parent Communication | MAP | PARCC | IEP Knowledge | Lesson Plan Design | Fundraising | Detail-Oriented | Words Their Way | Writer’s Workshop | PBIS | OLWEUS | Infinite Campus

Professional Experience

School Name, City 08/2017-Current

Eighth Grade Language Arts Teacher

• Developed weekly and monthly lesson plans for 6-8th grade Language Arts, Literature, and 8th-grade Religion, to reinforce content knowledge and skills in accordance with Diocese of Rockford Standards and curriculum

• Differentiated instruction in a multi-grade classroom through the use of group discussion, 1:1 technology, and assignment choice boards, that set a strong foundation for encouraging student participation and self-motivation to seek out more information

• Integrated positive classroom management to maintain an orderly and disciplined environment, kept students on task, promoted student enthusiasm, and mutual respect through regular communication with parents, students, and administrators to set and reach high standards of achievement and behavior

• Performed duties of 8th-grade Homeroom teacher, including supervising Hi-Lo Ropes Course, 8th grade Chicago trip and coordinating 8th-grade graduation

• Guided students through the Knights of Columbus Essay Contest, resulting in 2017 2nd place winner, and 2018 2nd and 3rd place winners

School Name, City 08/2016-06/2017

Paraprofessional

• Set up lesson materials, bulletin board displays, and demonstrations under the direction of the classroom teacher

• Adapted teaching methods and materials to meet students' varying needs and interests in accordance with classroom teacher’s plans

• Modified student’s assignments and assessments in collaboration with the classroom teacher to ensure effective classroom participation

School Name, City 08/2015-05/2016

Seventh/Eighth ESL Science Teacher

• Introduced and planned hands-on science lessons using NGSS guidelines and District 300 curriculum standards, incorporating ELL and AVID strategies, as well as hands-on science experiments

• Collaborated with fellow science teachers in 7th and 8th-grade levels to create activities and assessments that guided learning through various classroom activities, both individually and in whole-class projects

• Provided science materials for students of varying levels of English Language abilities in collaboration with classroom personnel
    School Name, City 08/2013-05/2015

Special Education Assistant

• Provided student extra classroom assistance for various subjects, such as math, science, and language arts, improving both academic and social skills.

• Assisted student with safe and proper use of school equipment during special classes, and monitoring students in areas outside of class

• Communicated with mainstream teachers and school personnel to provide best-differentiated instruction for the student to success.

Certifications

• ESL Endorsement

• Middle School Endorsements: General Science, Social Studies, English/Language Arts

• Illinois Teaching Certificate #

Education

• Bachelor of Science: Elementary Education, Middle School Endorsements: Middle
    School General Science, Social Studies, English/Language Arts,

2012 Aurora University - Aurora, IL

ESL Endorsement, 2013, Aurora University

whizkid likes this.
  9. talknteach

talknteach Rookie

Jul 17, 2019

I think it looks good! I also have my experience before my education. I think once you get past student teaching, that is the main thing they are looking at, along with your key skills. What do you have at the very top? I have my name and contact info, and under that I have Elementary School Teacher, Grades K-6 so they know what I am certified for.

10. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Connoisseur

Jul 17, 2019

I would move your certifications to the top. You have a lot of certifications and you want to highlight that you are ESL certified!

bella84 likes this.
  11. Sashawatch27

Sashawatch27 Rookie

Jul 17, 2019

At the very top, I have my name and contact info. Should I leave my education where it is and just move my certifications up? Or move them both up and put my skills after the experience?

12. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Connoisseur

Jul 17, 2019

On my resume, I did my name and contact info in the top line, my education and then my certifications, and finally my experience. I would not put your certifications on the bottom because administrators are looking to see what you can teach.

How many pages is your resume?

13. Sashawatch27

Sashawatch27 Rookie

Jul 17, 2019

My resume is two pages, I took off my student teaching and my substitute teaching, and that helped cut it down to two pages. I thought I had enough experience to justify taking it off. Do people still use professional summaries on their resumes?

14. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 17, 2019

It should be possible to infer from your resume, or to be precise what your resume amplifies, what it is that you're applying for. If what you're applying for is a teaching job, push teaching skills: drop the bullet point about room preparation from your paraprofessional service and the bullet point in which you monitored the student from your special education assistant service.

Drop or severely streamline bullet points, bearing in mind your intended audience: people in a particular place who know education or know about hiring teachers. While namedropping NGSS is smart, it's not necessary to note local or diocesan standards unless you're applying to the same entity or there's reason to believe that your expected audience will find them impressive. (The bullet point about classroom management under your most recent experience is one long breathless mega-clause: read it aloud to see what I mean, then think about what in it is essential for your audience and what isn't, and prune it accordingly.)

Tightening the bullet points will allow you to add your substitute teaching experience back in - successful subbing speaks to at least some competence in classroom management - though with much less discussion.

whizkid likes this.
  15. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 17, 2019

Oh, and the certifications you possess probably don't need to be listed under your education as well.

16. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 17, 2019

And you might want to have a look at the threads pinned to the top of this Job Seekers subforum: one of them contains useful advice for cover letters.

17. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Connoisseur

Jul 17, 2019

I have never seen a professional summary on a resume. I don't think you need it but maybe check with others from your area.

I think you can shorten the bullet points by a lot, which would help.

bella84 likes this.
  18. Sashawatch27

Sashawatch27 Rookie

Jul 17, 2019

Thanks for the advice! It seemed long but wanted to include some of that information, so I will definitely prune it further. Should I make room to put my student teaching back on or can I leave it off still?

19. Sashawatch27

Sashawatch27 Rookie

Jul 17, 2019

Most of the examples I've seen have them, so I'll shrink it to be on the safe side until I know for sure otherwise.

20. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Jul 18, 2019

I agree... No professional summary needed in the field of education, and certifications should always come first, right after your name and contact info. Principals want to see what roles you can fill right away, and certifications are the best ways for them to identify that. Your education and experience will just help them to gather more information, but they need to quickly see what you're legally allowed to teach.

mathteachertobe likes this.
  21. Sashawatch27

Sashawatch27 Rookie

Jul 18, 2019

Thanks, everyone! I worked on the resume until late last night and I think I've got it cut down enough and moved things around so it's cleaner and makes more sense.

Certifications ​
    • ESL Endorsement

• Middle School Endorsements: General Science, Social Studies, English/Language Arts

• Illinois Teaching Certificate # 252988

Education ​

• Bachelor of Science: Elementary Education, 2012, Aurora University - Aurora, IL
    • ESL Endorsement, 2013, Aurora University

Professional Experience ​

St. Mary School, Elgin, Il 08/2017-Current

Eighth Grade Language Arts Teacher

• Differentiated instruction for 6-8th grade Language Arts, Literature, and 8th-grade Religion, using 1:1 technology, group discussion, and literary analysis, setting a strong foundation for student participation and self-motivation to seek out more information

• Maintained an orderly and disciplined classroom environment through positive classroom management and regular communication with parents, students, and administrators

• Performed duties of 8th-grade Homeroom teacher, including supervising Hi-Lo Ropes Course, 8th grade Chicago trip and coordinating 8th-grade graduation

• Guided students through the Knights of Columbus Essay Contest, resulting in 2017 2nd place winner, and 2018 2nd and 3rd place winners

Lily Lake Grade School, Maple Park, IL 08/2016-06/2017
    Paraprofessional

• Adapted teaching methods and materials to meet students' varying needs and interests in accordance with classroom teacher’s plans

• Modified student’s assignments and assessments in collaboration with the classroom teacher to ensure effective classroom participation

• Devised specific strategies for reinforcing materials or skills based on student’s needs, interests, and abilities

Carpentersville Middle School, Carpentersville, IL 08/2015-05/2016

Seventh/Eighth ESL Science Teacher

• Introduced and planned hands-on science lessons using NGSS guidelines, incorporating ELL and AVID strategies, along with hands-on science experiments

• Collaborated with fellow science teachers in 7th and 8th-grade levels to create activities and assessments that guided learning through various classroom activities, both individually and in whole-class projects

• Adapted science materials for students of varying levels of English Language abilities in collaboration with classroom personnel

• Participated in grade level PLC to ensure

Simmons Middle School, Aurora, IL 08/2013-05/2015

Special Education Assistant

• Provided student extra classroom assistance for various subjects, such as math, science, language arts, and specials, improving both academic and social skills

• Communicated with mainstream teachers and school personnel to provide best-differentiated instruction for the student to success.

• Established and maintained friendly, cooperative, and effective relationships with each student

East Aurora School District, Aurora, IL 08/2012-05/2013

Substitute Teacher

• Followed and taught lesson plans assigned by permanent classroom teachers, for students in kindergarten through 8th grade

• Monitored the activities of students, while maintaining a clean, safe and educational environment

• Determined appropriate consequences for student behavior and wrote a report for the teacher about the classes events

Key Skills

Elementary Education | Middle School Education | 1:1 Technology Integration | Standards-Based Instruction | Differentiated Instruction | ESL Endorsement | Classroom Management | IEW Training | Google Classroom | Parent Communication | MAP | PARCC | IEP Knowledge | Lesson Plan Design | Fundraising | Detail-Oriented | Words Their Way | Writer’s Workshop | PBIS | OLWEUS | Infinite Campus | PLC | Diligent | Highly-Qualified

22. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Jul 18, 2019

You could probably remove your sub experience, given that you now have regular classroom experience. Unless you want that specific district showing on your resume, there is no need to show that you were a sub.

Also, you might consider having two separate sections: one for certified teaching experience and one for support staff experience. It will make it easier for people to quickly see and make sense of the experiences you’ve had.

23. Sashawatch27

Sashawatch27 Rookie

Jul 18, 2019

Thanks for the suggestions. I might go back to substitute teaching, so I wasn't sure if it was necessary to still leave that section on, to show that I have done it and since it is a district I am trying to get back into, but I see what you mean about taking it off.

24. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Jul 18, 2019

If you are trying to return to the district, then it may make sense to leave it on there - at least on the copy of the resume that you submit to that particular district (you could have another version without the sub experience that you send everywhere else). I don't think you'll need to show that you've been a sub in order to get sub jobs. You have actual teaching experience, and that's automatically going to make you an attractive sub candidate, if you are looking to get back into subbing.

Ms.Holyoke likes this.
  25. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 18, 2019

I'll delicately disagree with bella about including the substitute teaching - it fills a gap early in your resume - but what you listed in bullet points is stuff that subs generally do, so delete those points and just let the job have a line on its own.

Proofread meticulously, please: I see an unfinished clause and some errors in mechanics, sequence of tenses, and number agreement that are especially problematic on an English teacher's resume.

26. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Jul 18, 2019

No worries. It's perfectly acceptable to disagree. :) I will take this opportunity to explain my thinking though...

I don't see a gap. It appears to be the first (earliest) experience on there. Regardless, I don't think time gaps matter as much in education as they do in other fields. It's not uncommon for teachers to have difficulty finding positions right out of college, and it's also not uncommon to take a year off in between positions for a variety of reasons. Since the timing of a teacher's contract year is well-known, it wouldn't automatically cause any sort of wonder about why a teacher has a gap in employment between school years. I would think that it would cause more wonder if the dates showed that a teacher left a position mid year (which I did myself and it worked out fine, so I'm not suggesting that it's a bad thing, just that it may cause people to wonder). If there is any wonder, it's something that could easily be addressed during an interview or other conversation.

Honestly, the reason that I suggested taking the sub experience off is because a) it's not recent, and b) I think the inclusion of the sub experience (and even the paraprofessional/assistant positions, in some cases) only stands to highlight the fact that the person applying doesn't have extensive teaching experience. I'm not a principal or in HR or anything like that, but I have served on hiring committees where I had the opportunity to look at resumes to fill teaching positions. When I saw things like student teaching, subbing, or paraprofessional roles as key parts of a resume, it led me to believe that the person had limited teaching experience or qualities that prevented them from getting their own classroom. Now, if that accurately describes your situation, then leaving it would be fine. You obviously need to be able to fill a one-page resume without too much blank space, and any education-related experience is better than none. However, if you can fill a one-page resume without including your earliest education experiences that don't include having your own classroom or some other sort of lead teaching role, then I would recommend that you use the space on your resume to highlight what experience, skills, and knowledge you have from recent roles rather than wasting the space on something as generic as subbing.

If you do choose the keep the subbing, I would agree that you should get rid of the bullet points. Limit the bullet points for your paraprofessional and assistant jobs, as well. You are looking for a teaching position (I assume), so highlight your teaching experience. Perhaps it differs in other parts of the country, but, where I live, support staff positions ("non-certified" is how districts around here officially refer to them) mean next to nothing. Subbing usually means even less. The only experience that really matters is "certified" experience (which is your typical teacher experience). So highlight that if you have it.

Just my two cents.

27. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Connoisseur

Jul 18, 2019

I like the idea of splitting up your resume between certified teacher experience and support staff experience. You want schools to know that you have 2 years of teaching experience, which isn't easy to see with the order it is in.