Resume Help

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by ST13, Jun 11, 2014.

1. ST13

ST13 Companion

Jun 11, 2014

Hi, I graduated with my bachelors 2 years ago, have been applying to countless jobs and have yet to get an interview.

I'm worried its because of my resume, so I am trying to proofread it again.

Do you usually capitalize grades you are talking about? for example, Obtained 20 practicum hours in a Kindergarten/First Grade Special Education classroom. would kindergarten/first grade be lowercase? What about Special Education?

I've had my resume checked multiple times, but every time I look at it I second guess what is grammatically "right" vs. "wrong" and what sounds professional.

3. ktmiller222

ktmiller222 Cohort

Jun 11, 2014

It depends. Can you copy and paste it on here so we can give you feedback? (you would just leave out school names and such or use fake names)

4. ST13

ST13 Companion

Jun 11, 2014

Sure! Thanks! Here it is: (the formatting is a little off when i copy and paste but if you could just help me with sounding more professional/ grammatical errors that would be so helpful!)

Joe Schmoe
    123 Mulberry Lane
    Outerspace, Some State 12345
    joeschmoei29@XXX.com
    (111) 111-1111

EDUCATION:
    xxxx College City, State
    Masters of Special Education August 2012 - May 2015

State University of Some State City, State
    Bachelor of Science. in Childhood Education August 2008 - May 2012
    • Dean's List: Spring 2009, Fall 2010, Spring 2011
    • President's List: Fall 2011
    • Outstanding Achievement in Fundamentals of Public Speaking Award

CERTIFICATIONS:

XXX State Certifications:
    • Special Education (Grades 1-6) In progress
    • Early Childhood Education (Birth - 2nd Grade) Initial Certificate -2013
    • Childhood Education (Grades 1-6) Initial Certificate - 2012

EXPERIENCE:

Work Experience:
    •Substitute Teaching City, State
    Per Diem Substitute City, State Fall 2012 - Present
    - XX Public School District
    - XXX Community Center Nursery School
    - XX School District Fall 2012 - Spring 2013

• XXX Community Center After School Program City, State
    After School Program Teacher Fall 2012 - Present

- Supervise students from preschool to 5th grade.
    - Assist school-aged students with homework on a daily basis.
    - Supervise school-aged students on various field trips.

• XX Community Center Pee Wee Camp City, State
    Camp Counselor Summer 2004 - Summer 2013

- Supervised preschool aged children in a daycare classroom setting.
    - Worked with a variety of children, including children with disabilities.
    - Supervised children while they were being taught how to swim.
    - Promoted from Counselor In Training to Senior Counselor.

Field Experience:
    • XX Elementary School City,State Fall 2012
    - Obtained 20 practicum hours in a Kindergarten/First Grade Special Education classroom.
    - Worked one on one with students with severe disabilities.

• XX Elementary School City, State
    Student Teaching Spring 2012
    - Tutored a Kindergartener three times a week.
    - Third Grade
    o Created and implemented an entire math unit.
    o Took over cooperating teacher's normal routines for an entire week.
    - Sixth Grade
    o Created and implemented a social studies unit.
    o Observed the proctoring of both the ELA and math state exams.

Fall 2011
    - Obtained 78 practicum hours in a Second Grade classroom.
    - Worked with students one on one and in small group settings.
    - Taught a variety of lessons in ELA and science.

Spring 2011
    - Obtained 70 practicum hours in a First Grade classroom.
    - Worked one on one with students.
    - Taught a math lesson in a small group setting.

Related Experience:
    • Private Tutoring Fall 2013 - Present
    - Provide extra support for students in academic areas such as math and ELA

PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT AND AFFILIATIONS:

• National Association for the Education of Young Children (NAEYC)
    • Training in School Safety
    • NYS OCFS On-Line Trainings
    - Preventing Shaken Baby Syndrome (SBS)
    - Early Intervention
    - Keeping Children Safe: Prevention of Lead Poisoning and Other Dangers to Children
    - Preventing Sudden Infant Death Syndrome and Promoting Safe Sleeping
    - Managing Challenging Behavior: Birth to 18 Months
    - Managing Challenging Behavior: 18 to 36 Months
    - Family Engagement
    - Transportation

5. mathteachertobe

mathteachertobe Cohort

Jun 11, 2014

Since you don't have your masters yet, you should note it as in progress or something, because as you currently list it it appears to be completed. My impression is the cover letter is where a candidate either makes it or breaks it. Are you confident in yours?

6. ktmiller222

ktmiller222 Cohort

Jun 12, 2014

***HERE ARE SOME THINGS I SUGGEST***
    1. After your address above and before your education part, add an objective to your resume. For example: To obtain a job as a.....(grade level and or subject).

2. Change "tutored a Kindergartener three times a week" to "tutored a kindergarten student three times a week"

3. Change the wording on this one: "Took over cooperating teacher's normal routines for an entire week." I can't think of something on the top of my head...but you can start it off by saying "Successfully/Maintained..." Sorry I know it's confusing but "took over" is not good to use on a resume.

4. ELA---Write the entire word/pharse out

5. All of your experiences should have the same number of objectives. Some experiences you have a couple, others your have more. Example:

Student Taught

Summer Counselor

Sub. Teacher

Hope this helps!!! Good luck!

7. ST13

ST13 Companion

Jun 12, 2014

ktmiller222 thanks for your help!! whats sad is that I even sent my resume to a professional resume service for proofreading and they didnt give me half the advice that you did! Goes to show you teachers resumes are a whole other ballpark! I will definitely change what you have suggested!

mathteachertobe: Thank you! I honestly don't know why I put my masters "years" like that, you are 100% right that it should say "in progress" ... as far as my cover letter goes, I am pretty confident in mine, but then again like I said I havnt had any bites as far as interviews go so its possible my cover letter isn't as good as I think it is.

here is a general cover letter format I use (if I know more about the position/school I am applying to I usually make it a little more personal)

Dear Dr. XXX,

This letter is to express my interest in the position as an Elementary School Teacher in the XXX Public School District. I have a Bachelor of Science Degree in Childhood Education; and I am XX State certified to teach from birth to 6th grade. In addition, I am currently studying for a M.Ed. from XX College in Special Education. I am certain that my prior experience gives me the skills required to be successful in this position.

As my resume will demonstrate, my love for children and teaching has blossomed over the past ten years, which started as a camp counselor in training and lead to my most recent experiences: a substitute teacher and an after school program teacher. As an after school teacher, my day-to-day routine consists of working with students in Pre-K to 5th grade, assisting them with homework and encouraging them to their full potential. Working with different ages on a daily basis helps keep me up to date on curriculum requirements, and new strategies students are learning in the classroom. Similarly as a per-diem substitute, being in so many different classrooms and working with students at varied levels, has given me the chance to see other teachers' methods and make them my own. Learning from others is essential in teaching and I believe that my experiences in the field will make me a valuable member to your district.

I am enthusiastic about teaching and am confident that I will bring a positive energy to XX Public Schools. Please call me at 123-345-4567, or email me at xx@xx.com so we can discuss how my skills and experience can benefit you.

Thank you for your time and consideration. I look forward to hearing from you.

Sincerely,

8. ktmiller222

ktmiller222 Cohort

Jun 12, 2014

You're welcome. I've used this site quite a bit with my resume and cover letter. Once I took people's advice, I changed everything this year and this is the year I've actually been getting calls for interviews.

As far as your cover letter, make sure your name, address, phone number, (email optional), and date is at the top right of your cover letter. Your cover letter reminds me of my first cover letter: it's basic and pretty much states your resume in a paragraph form.

Here some advice:Tell a story about one of your experiences. You said that you learned different teaching strategies with different grade levels, what strategies were you most successful at?

Add another paragraph: What was your most important/favorite thing you learned from other teachers during your experiences? How would you bring that to the school district/new teaching position? What are your goals?

Hope this helps! Good luck!

9. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 12, 2014

The point of the cover letter is not to rehearse your resume, but rather to get those who read it interested enough in knowing more about you that they'll want to read the resume itself.

Experience suggests that most writers of teacher cover letters do best telling a story or two about a time when what THEY did or said or implemented made all the difference to a student.

10. ST13

ST13 Companion

Jun 12, 2014

thanks for the suggestions and advice! I knew my stuff needed some improvement but I didnt really know WHAT needed to improve.

As far as my cover letter goes, I agree it needs a little more personality to it. I've tried changing it many times but it always ends up being too long and not really to the point. I will take your suggestions and fix it though.

Thanks again!

11. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 12, 2014

Try this:

1. Take out all the buzzwords.

2. Tell your two or three favorite short "lightbulb moment" stories.

3. If, in the course of telling those stories, some buzzwords happen to make perfect sense, use those but only those.

The result should have more of you in it and more pizazz.

Oh, and there really is no replacement for "I am applying for the ___ position at ___."

(This advice is for the letter, of course, not the resume.)

Last edited: Jun 13, 2014
  12. MissD59

MissD59 Comrade

Jun 12, 2014

I completely disagree about adding an objective to your resume. Objectives are becoming antiquated, and think about it, is it even necessary? Obviously you want a teaching job. IMHO, it takes up precious space on your resume and doesn't add a thing to it. While it may have been mandatory years ago, it isn't any longer.

When I was still in the middle of graduate programs or obtaining certifications, I would write Expected May 20** without a start date. I would do the same for your special education certification, too.

For the after school program, besides supervising, what exactly do you do? Do you facilitate games/educational opportunities/peer interaction? I think that you can sell yourself a bit more on this one by thinking of more specific verbs for your bullet points.

You also use "supervised" a lot. Vary up your verbs and try not to repeat them so often. I would also move your camp experience down to the bottom, beneath any classroom experience.

I really don't think that the field experience hours are necessary to list on a resume.

Instead of "took over for the classroom teacher" I would phrase this differently. Perhaps something like "Assumed all responsibilities of the classroom teacher..." instead.

Think more carefully about what you did during student teaching. Okay, you proctored the state exams...did you design lessons to help prepare the students for the state exams that were aligned to the common core or perhaps gave students the opportunity to work collaboratively in groups? When you planned the math unit, did you follow a specific program? Do you have experience teaching certain programs? I think you aren't selling yourself enough here.

I typically include the names of these programs in my bullet points, because schools around here tend to favor applicants who have experience or are familiar with the curriculum that is used in that district/school.

Sorry if this seems overly critical, my first few resumes were NOTHING like my current one and are pretty funny to look back on.

13. ST13

ST13 Companion

Jun 12, 2014

thank you! not too critical at all! constructive criticism is what i NEED. I rather hear it from you all than send it in to a job I really want and become embarrassed because of my lack of professionalism (which truthfully has already happened now that I am reading all these suggestions).

To tell you all the truth, unfortunately no one really TEACHES you these types of things! You kind of have to learn as you go, which is frustrating, I wish I would have known all of these tips two years ago when I was first starting to send out applications.

But, i'm happy I know now and I am in the process of fixing both my cover letter and resume up as we speak! :)

14. ST13

ST13 Companion

Jun 13, 2014

Would any of you be willing to share your resumes? (taking out personal information of course)

I've changed a lot of words and added a few things but I still feel like it needs more work! I just dont know what exactly.

Ive tried googling sample resumes, but most of them seem so outdated ... for example many of them list skills as knowing how to use Microsoft word.... in 2014 isnt that pretty much a given for teachers?

Any other advice would be greatly appreciated!

15. kassrose

kassrose Companion

Jun 13, 2014

Consider this: when you say you taught, for example, 4th grade, all principals know what a typical 4th grade teacher does, such as the things you listed - plan math units, work one on one with students, etc.

What you need to share is, what did you do that was special? What sets you apart from every other teacher that planned math units and taught 4th grade?

For example, on my resume it says that since I've been at this school, every single one of my reading students has passed AIMS (our state test). Another bullet says that when I worked as an afterschool program director, I increased program enrollment by 20%.

Provide data, if possible, to quantify achievements, like when you said you worked 78 hours, that was great. Also when you said you "Promoted from Counselor In Training to Senior Counselor".

Consider deleting trainings that are irrelevant, for example, unless you're seeking an infant position, principals probably won't care that you took a class on Shaken Baby Syndrome.

Hope this helps! :)

16. Froreal3

Froreal3 Companion

Jun 13, 2014

I agree with the last two previous posters. Skip the objective and make yourself stand out with your cover letter. Research the school, the principal, any awards they have received, what their current needs are as far as test scores etc. Don't just talk rehash your resume. Talk about how you can be of service to them and how your philosophy is in line with theirs.

Then put in a paragraph about successful student outcomes due to your teaching (during the afterschool program, day care etc). Talk about your collaborations with staff and any other achievements that are relevant to what the specific school is looking for. I see you are in the same state and have a good amount of certifications, so that is not the problem. I believe your cover letter and resume are too generic. Principals here receive hundreds of applications for one spot. You already don't have a MA, which is probably already putting you down a notch among the other hundreds of applicants. Therefore you must highlight your skills and experiences as they relate to the school's needs. Put your MA in progress in the education section with an expected date as well.

Good luck!

17. ST13

ST13 Companion

Jun 15, 2014

thanks for the advice! Going to try to implement it into my cover letter and resume!

18. ST13

ST13 Companion

Jun 24, 2014

okay here is my SEMI updated resume... still needs work but I was hoping you guys could let me know what you thought!

the formatting after copying and pasting is off ... sorry!

Joe Schmo
    544 la la lane
    Town, State 11111
    email@gmail.com
    (123) 456-789

EDUCATION:

XX College Town, State
    Masters of Special Education Expected Graduation: May 2015

State University of XX College at XX XX, State
    Bachelor of Science. in Childhood Education August 2008 - May 2012
    • XX College Dean's List: Spring 2009, Fall 2010, Spring 2011
    • XX College President's List: Fall 2011
    • Outstanding Achievement in Fundamentals of Public Speaking Award

CERTIFICATIONS:

XXX State Certifications:
    • Special Education (Grades 1-6) In progress
    • Early Childhood Education (Birth - 2nd Grade) Initial Certificate -2013
    • Childhood Education (Grades 1-6) Initial Certificate - 2012

EXPERIENCE:

Work Experience:
    • Substitute Teaching XX, State
    Per Diem Substitute XX, State York Fall 2012 - Present
    - XX Public School District
    o Experience with Fundations - Wilson Language Basics for K-3
    o Experience with enVisionMATH
    - XX Early Childhood Center
    - XX School District Fall 2012 - Spring 2013

• XX After School Program XX, State
    After School Program Teacher Fall 2012 - Present

- Oversee students from preschool to fifth grade
    - Assist school-aged students with homework on a daily basis
    - Lead school-aged students on field trips to local attractions
    - Interact with parents frequently
    - Facilitate games and peer interactions to promote a positive environment
    - Assume all duties and responsibilities of the School Age Program Coordinator as needed

• XX Pee Wee Camp XX, State
    Camp Counselor Summer 2004 - Summer 2013

- Supervised preschool aged children in a daycare classroom setting
    - Promoted gross motor development regularly through play
    - Worked with a wide range of abilities, including children with disabilities
    - Supervised children during swimming instruction
    - Promoted from Counselor In Training to Senior Counselor

Field Experience:
    • XX Elementary School XX, State
    Practicum - Kindergarten/First Grade Fall 2012
    - Worked with students with severe disabilities in a one-on-one setting
    - Observed the implementation of Applied Behavior Analysis

Student Teaching - Third Grade, Sixth Grade Spring 2012
    - Tutored a kindergarten student three times a week
    - Successfully maintained cooperating teacher's normal routines for a week
    - Integrated technology into lesson plans with SmartBoard activities
    - Designed engaging lessons to help prepare students for the XX State exams
    - Differentiated lesson plans to meet the individual needs of all learners
    - Participated in school activities including Greek Olympics

• XX Elementary School XX, STate
    Practicum - Second Grade Fall 2011
    - Provided academic support to struggling students in multiple settings
    - Developed and taught lessons in English language arts and science

Practicum - First Grade Spring 2011
    - Assisted students in a one-on-one setting.
    - Planned and implemented a hands-on math lesson in a small group setting
    Related Experience:
    • Private Tutoring Fall 2013 - Present
    - Provide extra support for students in academic areas such as math and English language arts

PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT AND AFFILIATIONS:
    • National Association for the Education of Young Children (NAEYC)
    • Training in School Safety
    • XX OCFS On-Line Trainings
    • Preventing Shaken Baby Syndrome (SBS) • Early Intervention • Family Engagement •Transportation
    • Managing Challenging Behavior: Birth to 18 Months • Managing Challenging Behavior: 18 to 36 Months
    • Keeping Children Safe: Prevention of Lead Poisoning and Other Dangers to Children
    •Preventing Sudden Infant Death Syndrome and Promoting Safe Sleeping

19. SleekTeach

SleekTeach Comrade

Jun 24, 2014

I would use the phrase "great classroom management skills" somewhere in that thing. You mention your instruction experience a lot but I don't see much about your classroom management skills during that field experience. I spoke to a principal and he told me it was the most important thing principals look for. You definitely have things in your resume they point to that, but you may want to clearly say it.

20. ST13

ST13 Companion

Jun 26, 2014

okay! good idea i havnt thought about classroom management! thank you!