resume help?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Flanny108, May 1, 2014.

1. Flanny108

Flanny108 Rookie

May 1, 2014

So I have been wondering why I haven't gotten any responses once I have sent out my resume, and I'm wondering if it's actually the resume that is the problem. Does anyone see anything that stands out as a red flag and says "DON"T HIRE HER SHE"S CRAZY!!"? :eek:

The top has my name and contact information, then I list the two districts I have worked in, and the two schools along with grades I have taught. Then I list my professional experience...which is below.

Just a note, I am not looking to move to another district, this is a move within my own. I am returning from a leave of absence.

• Expanded the range of learning through whole class, individual, and small group instruction
    • Established a positive classroom climate through the use of the Cooperative Discipline approach
    • Taught gifted and talented students
    • Communicated with parents through monthly newsletters
    • Analyzed student data in order to provide interventions
    • Supervised student interns
    • Integrated technology into student centered lessons using a Promethean board
    • Increased student understanding of concepts through the use of manipulatives
    • Tutored at risk children in math and reading
    • Served as the 3rd Grade chairperson
    • Taught Social Studies and Reading using a departmentalized schedule
    • Extended learning with quarterly projects
    • Coordinated daily plans with an instructional assistant
    • Incorporate music into instruction
    • Use literacy and math centers to extend learning

Anything stand out to you?

3. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

May 1, 2014

Because lying will not help, I will be brutally honest.

The problem is that nothing stands out.

It is also too wordy, and you have some verb tense issues. Most are past, incorporate and use are present.

4. Flanny108

Flanny108 Rookie

May 1, 2014

Thanks... this one was a draft, and I hadn't changed the verbs in this one. I really did change them before I sent it out. But I see what you're saying. It looks like a resume that would belong to any teacher. I guess I need to figure out some things that I did that will make me stand out a bit more.

Anyone else have some thoughts?

5. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

May 1, 2014

After sitting on an interview panel and having to review a ton of resumes, I cut so much out of mine. We'd look at them and honestly it would become a haze. If there were good things in between mundane things, it likely got overlooked.
    The next hiring season, I chopped everything out that would be on most teachers' resumes. I only have 5 bullets right now. Two are trainings/certifications I have, one is an award I won, another is that I worked with a college and mentored practicum students, and the last one is about certain intervention programs I have used. Everything else is gone.