Resume help....adding nanny description

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by brittee, Jan 13, 2008.

1. brittee

brittee Rookie

Jan 13, 2008

This summer I began nannying for one family (8 month old and a 6 year old) in August I started another family (18 month old and mom is pregnant). How do I list this in my resume. Do I list both of them separately or just write generically that I am nannying and the things I do for the kids.

What would the job description be for that. I prepared meals, changed diapers, straightened up house, played, I bring some of my teaching skills to the table too with this. I don't know I am confused.

Also, I am starting my Master's in Special Ed. K-12 (mild to mod) and Reading K-12. Do I list this above my Bachelor's because it is more recent?

Thanks for your help wonderful friends on here!!
    -Britt

3. Maithal

Maithal Cohort

Jan 13, 2008

Yes, I would list the Master's experience above Bachelor's b/c it's more recent. Wow, you're doing 2 majors in one? I want to do spec ed eventually. Right now I'm in reading grad program.

As far as nannying, I wouldn't put it on my resume but that's me. It's not official teaching experience that could enhance your chances of getting a position. However, I would mention it in interviews when they ask you to describe or tell about yourself. Definitely tell them about your experience nannying and how you utilized your "teaching" skills through it.

This is just my opinion. You can either take it or leave it! Your choice! :)

4. brittee

brittee Rookie

Jan 13, 2008

Reading is just a few more extra classes, it's really just another licesure I guess. How do I word that?

Under related experience in my resume I already have lifeguarding listed b/c i did that for 8 years (I taught swim lessons too) and I just thought I didn't want to have any gaps in my job experience.

5. Maithal

Maithal Cohort

Jan 13, 2008

My grad reading program is 30 credits. I'm halfway there! :)

Yes, that makes sense, but I personally think that lifeguarding and nannying aren't positions of high importance for you to get a teaching job. However, if you a recent graduate from undergrad that's different.

What does everyone else think???? Again, this is just my opinion.

6. MyMulligan

MyMulligan Rookie

Jan 13, 2008

I'm inclined to agree with both of you. Brittee is "right" to want to avoid gaps in her work experience. Maithal is right that those aren't necessary the positions that will get the job. However, both lifeguarding and nanny-ing are things that show experience with childre, so I think they're important.

I'm getting my MAED, as well, and am a career changer. The majority of my true education experience is of the volunteer variety. For that reason, I decided to put my education section first, then volunteer experience, then work experience. In general, put things that you want to attract the most attention higher up on the resume (i.e., your Master's should go first and any experience that is particular related should go before something only slightly related).

What are your thoughts brittee?

7. brittee

brittee Rookie

Jan 13, 2008

The order of my resume goes like this:
    -Teaching and Special Needs Experience
    -Assisting/Teaching Field Experience
    -Related Work Experience

So it is lower on the list. I will mosy likely include it b/c I do have room on my resume for it. I am a react undergrad (May 06). Any help on how I can word it?

8. SarahJ

SarahJ Companion

Jan 13, 2008

I've listed my nanny experience on my CV - because I've been doing it for 9 years now, so it looks good :) I just listed my 2 most recent positions and then just general nannying and in the description area put something along the lines of 'being a nanny has helped me grow in the following areas - dealing with parents, being flexible, communication, organizational ability, being aware and catering to the needs of different children' and so on. not so much the nursery duties like nappies and making meals :)

9. brittee

brittee Rookie

Jan 14, 2008

Thanks Sarah, I'm just going to add it!!
    -Britt