Resume Critique

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Zanadu, Feb 2, 2009.

1. Zanadu

Zanadu Companion

Feb 2, 2009

I recently finished my student teaching and am now a fully licensed teacher in NC. I'm very excited and very nervous. I had to create a professional resume in order to graduate but would like more feedback on any changes I should make. I'm attending a job fair in March and want it to stand out. I'd appreciate any advice given.

Here's the resume:
    XXX XXX
    XXXXX XXXX@gmail.com
    XX, XX XXXXX XXX-XX-XXX-XX-XXXX
    U.S. Citizen returning to the United States in March, 2009

Objective
    A position as an Elementary School Teacher that will utilize strong teaching abilities to create a nurturing, motivational, and stimulating learning environment to help children achieve their potential.

Areas of Knowledge
    Student Motivation- Student-Centered Learning-Creative Lesson Planning
    Technology Integration-Multicultural Awareness-Authentic Assessment
    Oral & Written Communication-Inspiring Educational Environment-Collaboration

Education
    Post Baccalaureate in Elementary Teacher Education 2009
    XXXXX University

Bachelor of Science in Biology
    XXXXX University 1991

Certification
    Elementary Education K-6 2009
    North Carolina initial license

Professional Experience
    Student Teacher, 5th Grade Fall, 2008
    XXXX Elementary School, XXXX, XX
    Demonstrated excellent classroom management skills and a passion for teaching. Integrated multiple teaching methods that included: collaborative learning, compare and contrast, math manipulatives, prediction, concept mapping, inquiry and discussion. Used computer resources and visual aids as educational tools to further students’ understanding of course material. Adapted curriculum, instruction, and assessments for diverse students to enhance their achievement of learning goals.

Substitute Teacher 2006-Present
    xxxxxx Elementary and High School, xxxxxx, xx
    Replaced staff for both long and short terms in grades PreK-12. Gained recognition for flexibility, dependability, and organization. Successfully implemented existing and original lesson plans both inside and outside area of specialization including library science, language arts, social studies, math, algebra, reading, and music. Maintained a positive classroom environment and discipline in flexible situations.

Sunday School Teacher 2004-2006
    xxxxxxxx Church, xxxxxx, XX
    Led weekly 60 minute lessons to 8-15 children aged 8-10 years following pre-set program guidelines and encouraging participation among children.

Professional Development

Creating Balanced Math Programs in Primary and Upper Elementary Classrooms
    San Diego State University College of Extended Studies [Ongoing]

Other Experience
    Research Associate IV, Invitrogen, Carlsbad, CA 1997-2006

Computer Skills
    Microsoft Office, Internet search and e-mail procedures

Professional Organizations
    National Education Association, member, current
    International Reading Association, member, current

*End resume*

I should probably add something from my time as a scientist. I want to show the strengths I gained while student teaching while keeping it short and to the point but feel like what I have appears "canned". I saw another resume here where they described what they did in detail but I'm concerned about going over the two page limit. Again, your advice is greatly appreciated!

Also, I'm confused about the application process. It's totally different than when I was in the science field. I completed a statewide online application and now have to apply with individual districts as well. They also encourage applying with schools of interest. Do I send a resume to the district HR or does that only go to the school of interest or possibly both?

3. adventuresofJ

adventuresofJ Comrade

Feb 2, 2009

are you going to a DOD job fair or one in NC? There is a Small School Systems fair that I plan on going to in early march
    So far the districts near me use their district application - unless they are charter schools -then you have to apply individually.
    -- Sorry no resume help I'm working on mine today too

4. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Feb 2, 2009

I would move the 2009 to the second line after the university like you did with your bachelor's degree. You want it to be uniform.

I would take this sentence out. ALL student teachers do this. You want to include something that will make you stand out.

Hope this helps. I think the rest of it looks good.

5. Zanadu

Zanadu Companion

Feb 2, 2009

I'm going to the job fair in Wilmington, NC. We don't actually return to the U.S. until March 4th and a cranky, jet-lagged me is not a pretty sight. I need a few days to get acclimated and organized. Thanks for the info. about the districts. I'll make sure to include my resume and cover letter with the district application.

6. Zanadu

Zanadu Companion

Feb 2, 2009

Thanks a bunch STG. It helps a lot just to have a second pair of eyes familiar with teaching look it over.