Resume Critique Please

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by CreativeTeachR, Apr 3, 2013.

1. CreativeTeachR

CreativeTeachR Companion

Apr 3, 2013

I feel like I've revamped my resume over and over again, but yet I don't feel it's good enough :( I am starting to send out my resume every where, but before I do I am trying to get as many opinions as possible...

Name
    Address• Hamden, CT 06518
    phone # • email
    http://danielledurante-ricci.webs.com/

Early Childhood Teacher
    Creative • Caring • Trustworthy

Devoted early childhood teaching professional with a broad understanding of how philosophy, theory, curriculum and instruction are closely tied with my work with children. Proven ability of nurturing children’s interests, which enriches their scientific skills, mathematical abilities, literary skills and creative capacities.

OBJECTIVE
    Looking for a teaching position where I can apply my positive and effective teaching style to the development of the children.

INITIAL CERTIFICATIONS
    Early Childhood Education- Birth - Second Grade (Professional)- New York
    Integrated Early Childhood/Special Education, Birth – Kindergarten (112)-Connecticut

EDUCATION
    Master of Science in Early Childhood Education May 2012
    Long Island University- Brentwood Campus- Brentwood, NY
    • 3.688 Grade Point Average

Master of Arts in Clinical Art Therapy January 2009
    Long Island University - Post Campus - Brookville, NY
    • 3.765 Grade Point Average

Bachelor of Arts in Psychology and Studio Art January 2007
    St. Joseph’s College - Patchogue, NY
    • 3.418 Grade Point Average

Associates of Arts in Secondary English Education January 2005
    Suffolk Community College- Selden, NY
    • 3.7 Grade Point Average

TEACHING EXPERIENCE

Childcare Learning Center (CLC)
    Stamford, CT
    Head School Readiness Teacher
    January 2013- Present
    • Follow NAEYC’s Code of Ethical Conduct.
    • Monitor, maintain and record the progress of each child using Connecticut State Department of Education Preschool Assessment Framework.
    • Plan and prepare weekly lesson plans based on Connecticut State Department of Education Preschool Assessment Framework, and responsive to the children’s individual needs.
    • Provide safe and exciting English as Second Language (ELL) learning environment.
    • Immediate supervisor and mentor for seven classroom teachers.
    • Utilize classroom management skills in developing and implementing an early care and education program.
    • Address the social, emotional, cognitive, nutritional and physical needs of each student.
    • Assure an attractive and exciting pre-kindergarten environment that is safe, orderly, and clean and permits the students to grow and learn.
    • Maintain ongoing communication with parents regarding children’s activities, behavior, and development with weekly and monthly newsletters.
    • Develop and implement learning centers using the creative curriculum.
    • Promote learning opportunities that provide the children to take responsibility make decisions and learn through play.

St. Aedan’s Catholic School
    New Haven, CT
    Head Pre-Kindergarten Teacher
    August 2012- November 2012
    • Followed NAEYC’s Code of Ethical Conduct.
    • Monitored, maintained and recorded the progress of each child using Connecticut State Department of Education Preschool Assessment Framework.
    • Created a learning atmosphere where all children and families learn and grow together.
    • Promoted the development of positive self-esteem and independence within each child.
    • Maintained ongoing communication with parents regarding children’s activities, behavior, and development.
    • Created and implemented lesson plans responsive to the children’s individual needs.
    • Developed and implemented learning centers through play, science, social studies, literacy, dramatic play and creative arts.
    • Provided the children with a learning environment which encourages active exploration and discovery.
    • Promoted learning opportunities that provide the children to take responsibility make decisions and learn through play.

Kiddie Academy Child Care Learning Center Nesconset, NY
    Lead Preschool Teacher November 2009- June 2012
    • Planned and taught activities that stimulated growth in language, social and motor skills.
    • Provided children with individual attention.
    • Maintained ongoing communication with parents regarding children’s activities, behavior, and development.
    • Monitored, maintained and recorded the progress of each child.
    • Created and implemented learning centers.
    • Developed and implemented curriculum requirements through play, science, social studies, literacy, dramatic play and creative arts.
    • Developed a positive rapport with parents and students.
    • Assumed all responsibility as the classroom teacher.
    • Maintained classroom environment.

St. James Elementary St. James, NY
    Kindergarten Student Teacher January 2012- June 2012
    • ¬Developed a positive rapport with parents, students and grade level teammates.
    • Planned and taught lessons in all academic areas.
    • Used SMARTBoard technology to present lessons.
    • Differentiated instruction based on students’ needs.
    • Helped to maintain classroom environment.
    • Adapted lessons to ensure student involvement.
    • Helped to provide an environment conducive for learning.
    • Employed effective classroom management skills.

Tutor Time Learning Day Care Smithtown, NY
    Assistant Teacher 2002-2005
    • Provided care for children of all ages.
    • Assisted in the creation and implementation of curriculum plans.
    • Created and implemented art projects in conjunction with lesson plans and students’ goals.
    • Carried out curriculum requirements.¬

RELATED EXPERIENCE
    Hot Shots Studio of Dance Nesconset, NY
    Assistant Dance Teacher 2005-2007
    • Assisted dance teacher with children from ages 2- 12 years of age in tap, ballet, and jazz.¬

ADDITIONAL EXPERIENCE

Sagamore Children Psychiatric Center Dix Hills, NY
    Art Therapist Intern and Volunteer September 2008- August 2009
    Stony Brook University Medical Center Stony Brook, NY
    Art Therapist Intern January 2008- May 2008
    • ¬Worked individually with a caseload of 10 adolescent clients using the arts to encourage self-expression
    • Developed and implemented activities for creative arts therapy groups to encourage self-expression.
    • Provided a nonjudgmental and empathetic therapeutic approach in supporting clients dealing with social, emotional, and environmental challenges.
    • Establish rapport, applied behavior modification techniques and conducted art therapy based assessments.
    • Collaborated with mental health care professionals in the development, implementation, and evaluation of client treatment plans.
    • Maintained client’s assessments, treatment plans, and progress notes.
    • Provided clients with opportunities to reach their fullest potential through creative expression, cognitive strategies, and a broad range of artistic experiences.¬

HONORS OR AWARDS
    • Achieved Dean’s List Status for Fall 2006
    • Achieved Dean’s List Status for Fall 2001 to Fall 2004
    • 2004 Phi Theta Kappa International Honor Society
    • 2004 Phi Alpha Sigma Honor Society¬

TECHNOLOGY SKILLS
    Thorough knowledge of: Microsoft Word, Excel, Windows, PowerPoint, web Design, SMARTBoard

ACTIVITIES / INTERESTS
    Competitive Dance- 16 Years
    Chorus and Vocal Jazz- 12 Years
    Visual Arts- 20 Years

3. MissD59

MissD59 Comrade

Apr 3, 2013

Just a quick wave; I'm from Commack. Hi neighbor :)

4. CreativeTeachR

CreativeTeachR Companion

Apr 4, 2013

anyone

5. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Apr 4, 2013

Do you want my honest opinion?
    It is WAY too long. :sorry: I can't even read it because I am overwhelmed. Statements like "• Provided children with individual attention." should be a given, therefore shouldn't really be on your resume.
    And sentence fragments shouldn't have periods at the end.

6. CreativeTeachR

CreativeTeachR Companion

Apr 4, 2013

yes I want honest opinions! I took that one out and I am taking out a few more bullets as they are boring lol... it is long but I have many years of experience and education... so it's hard to cut things out :blush:

7. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Apr 4, 2013

I had to cut a lot out of my resume, too. I chose to ONLY leave things that set me apart in it. So anything about planning, collaborating, etc... came out because all teachers should be doing this. I only left the things that really set me apart in it. I had several local administrators proof it and approved of it. They said it gets so tedious reading the same thing over and over.

8. MissD59

MissD59 Comrade

Apr 4, 2013

I've gotten mixed reviews on this. Mine is on the longer side; I've had principals tell me that teacher resumes do not need to adhere to the "fit it on one page rule," but I've read on this board that people feel quite strongly that you still should absolutely not go over one page.

That being said, I would trim it down some. For instance, for your current job, I'd summarize a description in a sentence or two and consolidate those bullet points:
    Childcare Learning Center (CLC)
    Stamford, CT
    Head School Readiness Teacher
    January 2013- Present
    Provide a classroom environment that implements learning centers using the creative curriculum, while following NAEYC's Code of Ethical Conduct
    • Plan and prepare weekly lesson plans using Connecticut State Department of Education Preschool Assessment Framework
    • Maintain ongoing communication with parents regarding children's activities, behavior, and development through weekly and monthly newsletters
    • Supervise and mentor seven classroom teachers
    • Promote learning opportunities that provide the children to take responsibility make decisions and learn through play

Also, Giraffe326 is correct, you don't need periods after your bullet points. They aren't complete sentences.

I personally would take out the objective; they already know you want a teaching job. I'd also take out the, "Devoted early childhood teaching profesional..." paragraph above it. Save things like that for the cover letter, not the resume.

Reading through, many of your bullet points seem repetitive. I would go through and take out anything you find yourself repeating.

9. CreativeTeachR

CreativeTeachR Companion

Apr 4, 2013

it is now 2 pages! I am trying to make a decision if I want to make it stand out with a more modern approach like someone posted a few weeks back... I can never make a decision though ugh here is what i have now!

DANIELLE
    address • Hamden, CT 06518 • number • email address

Early Childhood Teacher
    Creative • Caring • Trustworthy

Devoted early childhood teaching professional with a broad understanding of how philosophy, theory, curriculum and instruction are closely tied with my work with children. Proven ability of nurturing children’s interests, which enriches their scientific skills, mathematical abilities, literary skills and creative capacities.

INITIAL CERTIFICATIONS
    Early Childhood Education- Birth - Second Grade (Professional)- New York
    Integrated Early Childhood/Special Education, Birth – Kindergarten (112)-Connecticut

EDUCATION
    Master of Science in Early Childhood Education May 2012
    ¬ Long Island University- Brentwood Campus- Brentwood, NY
    • 3.688 Grade Point Average
    ¬
    Master of Arts in Clinical Art Therapy January 2009
    ¬ Long Island University - Post Campus - Brookville, NY
    • 3.765 Grade Point Average
    ¬
    Bachelor of Arts in Psychology and Studio Art January 2007
    ¬ St. Joseph’s College - Patchogue, NY
    • 3.418 Grade Point Average

Associates of Arts in Secondary English Education January 2005
    Suffolk Community College- Selden, NY
    • 3.7 Grade Point Average

TEACHING EXPERIENCE

Childcare Learning Center (CLC) Stamford, CT
    Head School Readiness Teacher January 2013- Present
    • Follow NAEYC’s Code of Ethical Conduct
    • Monitor, maintain and record the progress of each child using Connecticut State Department of Education Preschool Assessment Framework
    • Plan and prepare weekly lesson plans based on the Connecticut State Department of Education Preschool Assessment Framework, and responsive to the children’s individual needs
    • Provide a safe and exciting English as Second Language (ELL) learning environment
    • Immediate supervisor and mentor for seven classroom teachers
    • Maintain ongoing communication with parents with weekly and monthly newsletters
    • Develop and implement learning centers using the creative curriculum

St. Aedan’s Catholic School
    New Haven, CT
    Head Pre-Kindergarten Teacher
    August 2012- November 2012
    • Followed NAEYC’s Code of Ethical Conduct
    • Monitored, maintained and recorded the progress of each child using Connecticut State Department of Education Preschool Assessment Framework
    • Created a learning atmosphere where all children and families learn and grow together
    • Created and implemented lesson plans responsive to the children’s individual needs
    • Provided the children with a learning environment which encourages active exploration and discovery
    • Promoted learning opportunities that provided the children to take responsibility make decisions and learn through play

Kiddie Academy Child Care Learning Center Nesconset, NY
    Lead Preschool Teacher November 2009- June 2012
    • Planned and taught activities that stimulated growth in language, social and motor skills
    • Monitored, maintained and recorded the progress of each child
    • Created and implemented learning centers
    • Developed and implemented curriculum requirements through play, science, social studies, literacy, dramatic play and creative arts

St. James Elementary St. James, NY
    Kindergarten Student Teacher January 2012- June 2012
    • Planned and taught lessons in all academic areas
    • Used SMARTBoard technology to present lessons
    • Differentiated instruction based on students’ needs
    • Adapted lessons to ensure student involvement
    • Helped to provide an environment conducive for learning

Tutor Time Learning Day Care Smithtown, NY
    Assistant Teacher 2002-2005
    • ¬Provided care for children 6 weeks to 12 years of age
    • Assisted in the creation and implementation of curriculum plans
    • Created and implemented art projects in conjunction with lesson plans and students’ goals
    ¬

RELATED EXPERIENCE
    Hot Shots Studio of Dance Nesconset, NY
    Assistant Dance Teacher 2005-2007
    • ¬Assisted dance teacher with children from ages 2- 12 years of age in tap, ballet, and jazz.¬
    ¬

ADDITIONAL EXPERIENCE
    Sagamore Children Psychiatric Center Dix Hills, NY
    Art Therapist Intern and Volunteer September 2008- August 2009
    Stony Brook University Medical Center Stony Brook, NY
    Art Therapist Intern January 2008- May 2008
    • • ¬Worked individually and in groups with a caseload of clients using the arts to encourage self-expression
    • Provided a nonjudgmental and empathetic therapeutic approach in supporting clients dealing with social, emotional, and environmental challenges
    • Established rapport, applied behavior modification techniques and conducted art therapy based assessments
    • Collaborated with mental health care professionals in the development, implementation, and evaluation of client treatment plans
    • Maintained client’s assessments, treatment plans, and progress notes
    • Provided clients with opportunities to reach their fullest potential through creative expression, cognitive strategies, and a broad range of artistic experiences

HONORS OR AWARDS
    • ¬Achieved Dean’s List Status from 2001 to 2006
    • 2004 Phi Theta Kappa International Honor Society
    • 2004 Phi Alpha Sigma Honor Society¬
    ¬

10. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Apr 4, 2013

That was mine. I'll let everyone know how it goes. I've only applied to 2 districts so far.

11. shoebottom

shoebottom Companion

Apr 5, 2013

I was told to not put my GPA on mine.