Resume & CL Help - New to Teaching

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Edelweiss, Jun 12, 2007.

1. Edelweiss

Edelweiss Rookie

Jun 12, 2007

I know this is still a mess right now, which is why I'm asking for help from all of you! I'd really appreciate any suggestions you could give me. In particular, I need help with relating my work experience (which, to be frank, has been a bunch of clerical jobs - nothing terribly relevant to teaching). I'd also appreciate any other critique, though.

Thanks in advance!

Cover Letter:
    (Name and contact info centered at top - letterhead)

June 12, 2007

The School District of X County
    Recruitment and Retention
    Address
    City, State ZIP Code

Dear Name:

I am writing to express my interest in working for The School District of X County. After spending several years working in the corporate sector, I am now preparing to make the transition to teaching.

I have recently been awarded a Bachelor of Arts degree in English from X University and an Official Statement of Status of Eligibility from the Florida Department of Education. I am enthusiastic and personable, and my passion for my field provides me with a strong foundation from which to encourage discourse that is both interesting and relevant. Additionally, through my extensive experience in working to meet the needs of others, I have acquired strong interpersonal communication and problem-solving skills, which I feel will facilitate a smooth transition as I gain experience as an educator.

Thank you in advance for your consideration. I would love the opportunity to speak with you in person, or by telephone, to discuss how I can contribute to the school district in the 2007-2008 academic year.

Sincerely,

My Name

Resume:
    (Again, name and contact centered at top on letterhead.)

I am a recent graduate transitioning to a teaching career through the Alternative Certification Program.

Education & Certification
    June, 2007 Florida Department of Education Tallahassee, FL
    •Official Statement of Status of Eligibility
    •English grades 6-12

May, 2007 X University X City, FL
    •B.A. in English, with a minor in Political Science
    •Sigma Tau Delta English Honor Society
    •MAC Award for Outstanding Student, College of Arts and Letters, 2007

May, 1999 X High School X City, NM
    •High School Diploma – College Preparatory institution
    •Listed in “Who’s Who Among American High School Students”

Employment History
    January, 2005-Present X Company X City, FL
    Executive Assistant
    •Administrative duties for company President
    •Travel, meeting, and event coordination
    •Research
    •Phones and other general clerical work

January, 2004-December, 2004 X Company X City, FL
    Receptionist
    •Phones and other general clerical work
    •Human Resources administration
    •Accounts payable
    •Travel, meeting, and event coordination

April, 2002-December, 2003 X Company X City, OK
    Inside Sales Representative
    •Sales of pest control services
    •Appointment-setting for prospective sales of termite control services
    •Light clerical and computer work

August, 2001-April, 2002 X Company X City, OK
    Entertainment Consultant
    •Fielding sales and service calls from satellite television subscribers
    •Researching and correcting billing and service discrepancies
    •Customer retention and problem-solving

August, 2000-May, 2001 X Company X City, OK
    Buyer/Planner
    •Purchasing and inventory control
    •Accounting and implementation/administration of accounting procedures
    •Telephone and internet research; other clerical duties

Personal Interests
    Reading, writing, amateur photography, travel.

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 12, 2007

HI and welcome!

I think you want to provide some examples in your cover letter. Give the reader some idea of why you're a better candidate for the job than I am.

Also, you speak of "relevant discourse." It sounds a bit idealistic: what about spelling and vocab and the SATs? Those are the things that fill the days of most English teachers-- the interesting, relevant discourse comes only after you can actually convince the kids to read the literature you want to discuss. I think your letter needs more of the concrete.

Resume:
    In your profile, be sure it says right up on top what grades/subjects you're qualified to teach. You want that info easy to find.

I would leave this out:
    "May, 1999 X High School X City, NM
    •High School Diploma – College Preparatory institution
    •Listed in “Who’s Who Among American High School Students”
    Unless you were involved in a HS activity that you hope to coach (For me it was Speech & Debate), you can pretty much let them assume you graduated high school-- save the room on the resume for something which makes you different from the other applicants. And there are volumes written elsewhere on this forum on the whole "Who's who" thing-- it's commonly thought of as a scam to get kids to buy the book. I'm not sure the mention will help your credibility with administrators.

All your experience in the real world: here's stuff you can use to your advantage!!! You were in sales-- so you sold a product the consumer might not have known he wanted? (Like vocab and grammar???) You coordinated events-- like the Junior Prom??? Find aspects of your past work life that relate to teaching... almost everything does. Use your resume to highlight these things. Even though you're new to teaching, you're not new to organizing information to make it interesting and comprehensible, you're used to explaining and selling, you're used to guiding others. Make these things pop from your cover letter and resume.

Hope that all helps a bit!

4. Edelweiss

Edelweiss Rookie

Jun 12, 2007

Thanks, Aliceacc! I appreciate your input!

I do have one question, though: If I write another paragraph for the cover letter relating my past experience to aspects of teaching, does the resume then stand as-is? Or is there some way I can put that information in the resume as well?

5. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 12, 2007

I say put it everywhere!

If you can include something in your resume about selling a product, then in your cover letter you can give an example of the time you sold someone something he didn't know he needed.

Your background makes you stand out. Use it to your advantage!!!!

6. Edelweiss

Edelweiss Rookie

Jun 12, 2007

Thanks again! I appreciate your help in getting pointed in the right direction!