Resume advice - going into 6th year teaching

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by MrsRed, Feb 17, 2016.

Tags:
  1. MrsRed

MrsRed Rookie

Feb 17, 2016

Hello everyone! I am looking for some advice on how to structure my resume. I am currently in my fifth year of teaching, so next year I will be going into my sixth year. I am going to be applying to a leadership development program within my current charter network, and so I need to revamp my resume.

The last time I updated my resume was when I applied for my current teaching position, and a lot has happened since then. I have taken on roles as assistant test coordinator, Galileo coordinator, and, most importantly, Academic Dean.

Given these changes, I am not sure how I should be structuring my resume. The sections that I currently have are: Objective, Education, Teaching Experience, and Skills & Abilities. In my teaching experience section, I have listed the two schools at which I have taught, and then a bulleted list of various responsibilities at each school. However, I am thinking that I need to make the Teaching Experience section just a list of the two school names, and the dates for each one, and then I need another section where I list the other duties for which I have been responsible. Does that make sense? What should I title that other section? Within this new section, do the list the various duties as bullet points? Do I separate them by school?

I am also thinking of taking out the Skills & Abilities section - and perhaps that's where the new section comes in, sort of as a replacement for Skills & Abilities with a tie in to teaching experience?

As you can tell, I haven't pinned down a very clear idea of how this should look. Any advice is welcome! I can post my current resume, if that would help.

3. ChildWhisperer

ChildWhisperer Groupie

Feb 17, 2016

Take out your Objective. No one really needs those unless you're completely changing careers. I have never had one and employers have told me my resume was "very impressive".
    I have: Teaching Experience, Other Experience, Education, Professional Affiliations & Certifications, and Skills Profile
    Other Experience includes related non-teaching experience. For example, I'm part of the teacher council at our local children's museum, and that is listed under Other.

My suggestion for you is to list the 2 schools, and then list the positions underneath with dates (for each specific position) and under each position is where you list your duties

School 1
    Position A (Jan 00 - Dec 00)
    -duty
    -duty
    -duty
    Position B (Jan 11 - Dec 11)
    -duty
    -duty
    -duty

School 2
    Position A (Jan 00 - Dec 00)
    -duty
    -duty
    -duty
    Position B (Jan 11 - Dec 11)
    -duty
    -duty
    -duty

4. MrsRed

MrsRed Rookie

Feb 18, 2016

ChildWhisperer, thanks for that advice! I had been thinking about removing the objective, but I wasn't sure. I'll take it out.

And that is a good idea about formatting the teaching experience section. I like that.

What does your "Skill Profile" section look like? Is it just a list of skills, or is it a few targeted skills with some description, or something else?

Thanks!

5. ChildWhisperer

ChildWhisperer Groupie

Feb 18, 2016

It's pretty much a random collection of things I can do or my qualities.
    Enough employers/interviewers have commented on something from it that I just keep it:

- Native English speaker with elementary proficiency in Spanish and American Sign Language.
    - Strong computer & internet skills, including social media, basic HTML, Microsoft Office, photo editing, and typing an average of 80 wpm.
    - Organized, flexible, creative, efficient, dependable, observant, detail oriented, cheerful, personable.
    - Background in the performing arts: theatre, dance, choir, music, marching band / colorguard, and winterguard.

6. shoreline02

shoreline02 Cohort

Feb 21, 2016

Most people will post their resume here and then we can help you make adjustments!

7. Teachling

Teachling Groupie

Mar 15, 2016

I hope it's ok, posting here regarding advice on resume update. It's been a bit of an adjustment finding things in this new website format.
    I'm needing to update my resume that includes the school I've been at for this school year. I'm needing to include something to the effect that I chose to work for this school in spite of the fact that it was in danger of being reconstituted. That this was a school that very few people wanted to be part of because it was under scrutiny and was going to be closely monitor for the new school year. Also that the school was rename and a new model program was instituted and restructure. I want to add something about growth of students has increased (though no official scores, other than district).
    I am just getting started on updating and thought that I should include some background/info on my current assignment since it's been a unique, challenging experience. I'm exploring what my options are and so want to have my resume updated so I can start submitting it. Thanks much for your input.